Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Make it Monday #221 - Masking Sentiments

Hello friends.  Do you find inspiration in places other than Pinterest?  I do!  One of our local markets has a giftware section where they sell lots of fancy paper plates and napkins, and every once in awhile I splurge if I see some that really catch my eye.  Like this package of napkins:


Aren't the Fall colors absolutely gorgeous??!!  Had to have them and they sat right in front of me as I thought about what I wanted to do for this weeks Make it Monday challenge, where Ashley has a great video on masking your sentiments and then building your card around it. I had a great time using the Simple Sunflower, Beautiful Blooms, and Daydreamer stamp sets.  Take a look:



I stamped my frame from Just A Little Something on a post it note, and then cut it out and placed it in the center of my cream colored cardstock base.  Next I stamped and used my Aqua Painter with Scarlet Jewel, Autumn Rose, Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold, Orange Zest, Classic Kraft, & Old Olive inks.  After removing my post it note mask, I stamped the frame again in Soft Suede ink, and also added the birthday sentiment from Friendly Flowers.  I had some ink on my fingers and accidentally smudged the lower right portion of my frame, so another cut out and popped up sunflower seemed like a good "fix"! :0)

If you'd like to check out Ashley's video and beautiful cards, and play along, you can find all the info you need over on Nichole's blog right HERE. 

I'd love to invite you to stop back tomorrow to my blog and Birgit's (Crafting While I Wait) blog, and check out our 2nd little mini challenge.  We both adore Melissa Phillips cards, and decided to challenge ourselves to come up with a couple of cards in her style.  Melissa uses lots of layers and details, details, details, so it was definitely a challenge for both Birgit and I, but definitely a fun challenge too!  If any of you would like to play along with us, just leave us a link in the comment section tomorrow to your card...we'd love some company!! :0)

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do! :0)

15 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

Fabulous inspired card! Gotta love those napkins, right? :)

Vikki H said...

what a beautiful card and you hit a home run with this challenge! I'm glad someone else does this! I find Kleenex boxes inspire me!

Colleen said...

Oh WOW Marcia, I love this! all those gorgeous flowers surrounding your sentiment is so perfect, love the colors too! Fantastic card!

Nancy Penir said...

I want napkins from YOUR card! Gorgeous from the assembly of floral stamps to the perfection of a frame! ...sigh... LOVE it!

Birgit said...

Marcia you clever girl! I love this card and your genius inspiration!! Fabulous colors and choice of flower images. So glad you splurged on the napkins. ;0)

Marybeth said...

I will take a set of napkins like this please :) I smudged my card too and couldn’t save it , you did an amazing job making these flowers and this card is gorgeous right down to all the wonderful colors! Love this Marcia!

inkyfingy said...

What a lovely card, I really like the watercolour effect of the petals and that amazing colour combination...

inkyfingy said...

What a lovely card, I really like the watercolour effect of the petals and that amazing colour combination...

inkyfingy said...

What a lovely card, I really like the watercolour effect of the petals and that amazing colour combination...

Kathryn A said...

I love your card more than the napkins! Lol. It's gorgeous! Great idea to fix the smudge with a dimensional flower. I was tempted to do this, just because I like a card with a bit of dimension, anyways. (I didn't realize my card was so similar to yours and one other card in the gallery...I'm just checking them all, now!)

Diana K said...

I'm echoing Kathryn here and saying that I also prefer your card over the napkins (even though they are beautiful). Love your colour combo! And don't talk about smudges, please, I could not get a decent mask going! Thanks for letting me know in advance about the photo tutorial, Marcia. I've been thinking about your technique a lot!

Linda said...

Beautiful background of flowers, Marcia. Great take on the challenge...

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Marcia great take on the challenge and your napkins. Beautifully done...

Betty Neville said...

Beautiful! Love the assortment of flowers!

The Paper Toile said...

Oh, LOVE! Your card is prettier than your inspiration napkins, Marcia. What a beautiful project!