Thursday, October 22, 2015

HLS October Christmas - Poinsettia





Hello friends.  This month at Happy Little Stampers, the theme is Poinsettia's.  Fell in love last year when PTI released their Painted Poinsettia stamp set, so that was my starting point for my card today.  Take a look:


 

For the flower, I used Brusho's Crimson, and rather than wetting my watercolor paper and then sprinkling on the powder, I misted the stamp first, and then sprinkled on the powder...does NOT work!  Thought I was being really creative, but it just made a muddy mess, and totally stained my stamp.  So I misted my stamp quite liberally and there was still enough color on the stamp that it stamped pretty well that time. I do like the way it looks now, but I wouldn't recommend that way of stamping it to anyone!  I added the veins in Cherry Cobbler, stamped the leaves in Old Olive and Always Artichoke, and then fussy cut them out.  I used a couple scraps of DSP for my Fancy Tea Cup die (PTI), and then mounted the flower and tea cup onto a layer stamped with SU!'s En Francais background stamp and Delicata Golden Glitz ink.  I also embossed with clear embossing powder the background and my sentiment too.  A layer of the gold cardstock (same as what's behind the tea cup) was also put behind the script background to ground the panel from the card base.  Really like the delicate and elegant look to this card! :0)

 
    
 
There's still a little over a week to play along in this challenge, so break out those Poinsettia stamps and start stamping those Christmas cards!  You can see all the great work from the design team and other players in the gallery right HERE.
 
Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do! :0)

8 comments:

Birgit said...

Marcia, this is simply stunning!! I love the scripty background and gold accents. It makes for a very classy card!!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Lovely design Marcia, your poinsettia is stunning!

Susan said...

Beautifully done with the text background and the poinsettia set in the teacup! Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers.

Kara Lynne said...

Your poinsettia is beautiful! I'm glad to know about the unproductive Brusho technique. There are many hits and misses I've found with Brusho, but always so much fun!

Loll said...

Wow! LOVE this card Marcia!! Your poinsettia is beautiful ... good for you for just adding water until you got the look you want ... so pretty!! And the veining adds dimension. Having the poinsettia sitting in a teacup is so creative and I love the gold textured card behind the cup cut-out design, and as a layer in the back. The script adds to much elegant .. especially in Delicata gold (I LOVE that ink!). :) Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers. xx

jan metcalf said...

Really nice card! Love your layers with metallic and the flower in the cup!

gail said...

love this card, your little tea cup planter is fab, and such a gorgeous poinsettia. Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers

Ingrid said...

What a great card! I love all the little details you added. Thanks for playing along with us at Happy LIttle Stampers!! :)