Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Make It Monday #250 - Masked Backgrounds

Hello friends.  Laurie Willison shows us some tips on masked backgrounds for this weeks challenge at Make It Monday.  A perfect opportunity to use some of my new goodies!  I've been loving all the What the Doodle series of stamps and dies, and this latest release was no exception!  I used the What the Doodle: Waves set and came up with this:


I used clear embossing powder and Versamark to stamp my waves first, and then used 1/2" micro-pore tape to mask all four edges before blending with distress ink.  Really love the way this came out and almost didn't want to add anything else to it and distract from it.  I ended up and kept it very simple by adding the sailboat (stamped with Pure Poppy and die cut and pop dotted) and some red & white bakers twine with a Pure Poppy star tag from Tiny Tags.  Oh and I flicked some water like Laurie showed on her card too! 

Make sure you check out Laurie's beautiful card and video, and then play along right HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by...I love it when you do!  :0)

16 comments:

Linda said...

Very pretty Marcia, but was expecting something with butterflies. Great minds think alike you know.

Sue said...

Very pretty. I love the blues you choose for the water. It makes the doodle waves just pop off the page. I totally get why you didn't want to cover it up. The sailboat was a great touch though! It, too, pops off the page. Nicely done, my friend!!

A splash of color said...

This is just great. I love the waves and the way you made the water so soft.. I love the tag and boat but your right you could have just left it.. its so very pretty alone.

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Marcia, your card is soooo pretty! I love your waves...that was a great idea! I love that little sailboat.
You did a GREAT job!

Rema DeLeeuw said...

This is super Marcia!Love the red sailboat against the blue background. It really pops.

Birgit said...

This is so fabulous Marcia! Those doodle waves really are so fun and the red sailboat makes the perfect pop of color. The little star with the sentiment is awesome too!! You nailed this challenge!!

victoria h said...

beautiful card- love those waves and your background too

lainey said...

What a sweet card! I'll have to remember to do this when I use my set - thanks!

Nancy Penir said...

Love the embossed waves with the masking! Used them too, with my card. Must try it your way, as I love the your effect! Sweet, sweet card!

Kara Lynne said...

Gorgeous, Marcia! Your waves are so cool, and the masking really frames it perfectly! I love the touches of red too!

Kathy Mc said...

Beautifully done, Marcia, with your heat embossed waves and the pops of red. This is a gorgeous card!

Marlena M. said...

Gorgeous waves Marcia! You're making my virtual list longer :)

Kathryn A said...

Love the boat and the waves! Great card!

paperkicks said...

Great use of your new stamp set! I ordered that one, too...thanks for the idea!! :-)

Martha said...

Marcia, this is so adorably sweet.

Helen F. said...

Oh Marcia. Those embossed waves are beautiful on the blended BG. The red accents are perfect! Love this card, and, of course, NOW I want this stamp/die set :-]