Thursday, April 6, 2017

Make It Monday #280 - Stamping Outside The Box

Hello friends.  Lexi Daly is up this week for the Make It Monday challenge, and she's showing us a fun and simple technique where you use an image that you place partially outside the box to draw the eye to the image.  Here's what I came up with:


I started by die cutting a rounded rectangle (Gina Marie Designs), and then left the die in place while I blended some Hibiscus Burst and Orange Zest inks over the inside of the rectangle.  Using Polka Dot Basics and Hibiscus Burst ink, I stamped the open circles on my rectangle and then inlaid it back into my 4 x 5 1/4 layer.  My die cut butterfly is from the Life Is Beautiful set, and here's a closer up so you can see the 2 layers of it better:


I used some sparkling embossing powder on the bottom butterfly, along with some light blending of the Hibiscus Burst ink, and then added a vellum layer on top with a few enamel dots.  My sentiment comes from the Choose Joy stamp set...one of my all time FAVORITES!!  Very CAS and I really like the way it turned out!

Edited to add:  Bonnie reminded me that this card would also work for the challenge going on over at the CAS Mix Up Card Challenge for April, where the focus is on inlaid die cutting.  I used inlaid die cutting for my "box", stamping, embossing, and die cutting for my butterfly.


To play along with the CAS Mix Up Challenge, click HERE.

There's still time to play along with this week's Make It Monday Challenge too, so check out Lexi's video and fabulous cards, and then play along right HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do!


20 comments:

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS! Love the layering of the butterfly and your pretty colors and design! That sentiment is FABULOUS!

Susan Watanabe said...

Such a soft, pretty background...pairs perfectly with your vellum butterfly!

Marybeth said...

Such. a pretty idea and gorgeous two layer butterfly, Marcia! I still need to watch the video, its usually the first thing I do Monday morning but I had the grandkids for a few days. Love the polka dots !

Birgit said...

What a pretty card this is! That butterfly is gorgeous!! So soft with a touch of pink... just perfect. Love your fun polka dots too!

Colleen said...

Beautiful card my friend!!

Nancy Penir said...

Marcia, this is perfect... beautiful box you created, gorgeous sparkle to your butterfly, just perfect! Loving the 'off the edge too'!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful card. I love all the elements - the velum butterfly, the sentiment that overlaps the "box". And the design you came up with for your box. Really, really lovely.

Bonnie said...

This is so pretty, Marcia! Love the soft color of the inlaid rounded rectangle and that gorgeous butterfly! It works for CAS Mix Up too! Would love for you to share it over there!

Loll said...

So pretty Marcia. I love how you've inlaid the rectangle and then sponged and stamped over top. Great mix of colours (my fav!). Your layered butterfly is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

lexi said...

beautiful butterfly card and a great take on the challenge - i love the way you created your box and dimension with the butterfly! thanks for playing make it monday!!

nancy littrell said...

So pleased Marcia that you added your gorgeous inlaid background and beautiful die cut butterfly card to our CAS Mix Up Challenge. I LOVE every single detail. TFS my friend. Hugs...

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria Helena said...

Beautiful card!! I want to thank you you for commenting on my card on Flickr, I really appreciate the love!!
Best regards,
Maria Helena

Vikki H said...

You worked this one perfectly! What sweet colors, too!

lainey said...

Pretty card Marcia! Like how you used the die around your box - really brings your eye right to it.

Vicki Finger said...

I love the dry embossing and your card. Very pretty!

Kathy Mc said...

Great design once again, Marcia! I love your inlaid box with the two-layered butterfly flying over. Your soft color palette looks lovely!

Joyously Noelle said...

What a sweet card! And a fun sparkle layer!
Thanks for the anniversary wishes =)

Greta said...

Beautiful, beautiful card, Marcia! I really love the combo of Hibiscus Burst & Orange Zest--gotta remember that!

Helen said...

Such a pretty card. It all works so well together.