Thursday, August 2, 2018

CAS Watercolour August 2018 - SUNFLOWERS

Hello friends.  I am so excited to be hosting my 1st challenge at CAS Watercolour, and I've chosen bold, bright, and big SUNFLOWERS to be the focus this month!


Sunflowers are pretty prolific here in Michigan in August and September, and I have always loved their bold, bright color, their size, and just the happy vibe they give off!  Our oldest daughter lives in a small town in northern Michigan and while walking in their downtown area last month, I came across one of their floral and gift shops with this sign out front and couldn't resist snapping a photo:


Thought this was pretty appropriate for this month's challenge!  And I know I'm not the only one who loves SUNFLOWER'S as there are so many stamps, dies, and even stencils out there, so I'm excited to see what you all come up with for this challenge!!  Remember to keep it CAS (that means LOTS of white space friends!!) and use a water color medium, and most of all, have FUN!!

For my card I used a new (to me) die from AliExpress and my beloved Lindy's Magicals and came up with this:


I started my card by laying down my Magicals on a piece of watercolour cardstock with Cattail Copper Brown in the center, then adding Red Hot Poker Orange around that, and then Bling-y Blonde around the outside, and then of course spritzing with water to get the shimmery and shiny effect of Magicals!  Once it had dried, I die cut it with the sunflower die, and then die cut again with just plain white cardstock.  Then came the fun of inlaying all the colored leaves and tiny circles into the white die cut sunflower.  Time consuming, but LOVE the look!


To finish, I simply added my sunflower frame to a white card base and added my sentiment from PTI's Corner Adorner: February stamp set.

This challenge is open till the 24th, and we can't wait to see what YOU come up with using a SUNFLOWER stamp, die, or stencil and water!!  Make sure you check out the FABULOUS  cards from the DT and our Special Guest Designer Izzy Scrap for more inspiration, and then play along with us right HERE.  Also take time to welcome our newest member to the CAS Watercolour DT, Jenny Martin of My Paper Epiphany...you will be blown away by her awesome talent!  

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


13 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

congratulations in getting all those little pieces back in place, that must have been quite the puzzle, stunning card with all that sparkle :)

Loll said...

LOVE the coppery colours of your beautiful sunflower die-cut Marcia!! Inlaying the design definitely would take patience, but the outcome is worth it with this gorgeous card! Great challenge Marcia!! xx

I Card Everyone said...

I don't know who, or what, Lindy's Magicals are, Marcia... but I know beautiful, and magnificent when I see it! I've seen both here - absolutely worth every second of putting this puzzle together!
=]

Bonnie said...

I love this challenge, Marcia! Wish someone would make a stamp of the quote from the flower shop! What a wonderful world it would be if more people spread sunflower seeds of happiness! I love how you've inlaid all those pretty, bright petals! This certainly will bring sunshine to the recipient!

nancy littrell said...

OMG Marcia, Stunning die cut sunflower with the inlaid Magicals pieces. Have you ever tried using press n seal under your background paper so the tiny pieces do not fall out? All your time was worth the effort though. Your card really is gorgeous. Love how you and Izzy used the same die and got different gorgeous results. TFS and hosting this months challenge. I need to take photo of my card and post in a few days. Such a fun challenge. Hugs...Nancy

Birgit said...

Oh my goodness Marcia, this is amazing! All that work in-laying those tiny pieces. I hope you gave yourself a well deserved treat afterward. The combination and technique you used on the magic powders is truly spectacular. I agree with Bonnie, someone needs to create a stamp using the quote on the sign. So cute!!

Ros Crawford said...

I'm drooling Marcia... This is such a stunner and the colouring is terrific!

Izzy Scrap said...

Great minds think alike, Marcia ! I love your stunning sunflower with these gorgeous blended colours. What a patience to inlaid all these tiny pieces but the beautiful result worth the work ! Thanks so much for your sweet comment and for inviting me for Guest Designing this month, it's such an honour !

Mac Mable said...

Marcia your card is amazing. Love the effect with those magicals and how you manged to get the different graduated colours. Fabulous die cut and one stunning card. Congratulations on hosting your first challenge and what a happy and fun one it is x

Papercraft Boutique said...

Congratulations on hosting your first challenge at CAS Watercolour, Marcia!
Your sunflower card definitely gives off the happy vibe! I really enjoy looking at the Lindy's Magicals' beautiful complex colors of the flower. And fantastic job with inlaying all the tiny pieces!! I'll be sure to join this fun challenge! Hideko xx

Pat said...

Sunflowers just shout Summer and this is so bright and pretty Marcia and a great theme for your first time hosting the challenge. The inlaid pieces look great. It can be a bit fiddly but well worth the effort. x

My Paper Epiphany said...

I haven't heard of magicals and think I will have to check them out after seeing this beauty! I'm so happy to be part of the team!

Brenda in IN said...

This is so beautiful. I love the shine and those stunning colors you used.