Thursday, May 25, 2017

Papertrey Ink Blog Hop - May 2017

Hello friends.  It's the 25th and that means it's time for Papertrey Ink's monthly blog hop!  Nichole has chosen a really pretty photo by irtsya for this month's inspiration:

Blog Hop Inspiration

I love the beautiful colors in this photo...the pink and peach colors in the flowers and the blues and grays in the leaves.  Nichole suggested using a water color medium that we're not comfortable with, and that definitely meant Zig water color markers to me!  I have a love/hate relationship with these markers...every once in awhile something turns out ok, but most of the time I'm very frustrated with them!  I've been told paper is the key to getting good results with these markers, so I guess I need to do some more experimenting!  But anyway, I feel I was somewhat successful this time, but it did take 2 tries before I was happy with the result!  Take a look:

 
I silver embossed on heavy weight white cardstock the main flower image from the new Especially You set, and then used my Zigs and water to color in the flower and leaves.  While that was drying, I worked on my background layer where I stamped in gray ink the flower image repeatedly on a piece of Blueberry Sky cardstock, and then die cut the hole border using the Mix & Mat: Flourishes die.  I also die cut the tea cup (Fancy Tea Cup die) with white and silver embossing for the top layer and a piece of Blueberry Sky DSP for the back layer.  Here's a closer up view:


I thought about adding bakers twine, sequins, Rainstones, ribbon, etc., but in the end decided I liked it just the way it is.  I also left the sentiment off the front of the card and instead put it on the inside:  Grateful for little things, big things, and especially you.  Love everything about this new floral set, from the beautiful flowers and the wonderful sentiments!!

Can't wait to see how everyone else was inspired by this month's photo, so I'm off to hop along.  You can too...find it all right HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do!  :0)

 

29 comments:

DIANA L. said...

Very pretty, I love the colors you chose and the cup is perfect

Julia Aston said...

LOVE your gorgeous rose in the teacup Marcia!

Rosemary said...

what a lovely take on the inspiration, Marcia!!

Marybeth said...

Marcia this is beautifully framed with the dots, (love that part of the die the most) Loving the gorgeous large bloom in the teacup !

Sadie said...

Your card is so very pretty!! Love the way you multi stamped the leaves. They turned out awesome. Your peony is so well done. Love that blue background too.

Susan Watanabe said...

Aahh, so lovely! I like your idea of placing the flower in a tea cup. I haven't had a chance to play with this stamp yet (still making those felt flowers
>.<).

Nancy Penir said...

Ummm, looks like you mastered the zigs... Gorgeous!!!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Beautiful card Marcia! You are a much better direction follower than I am...didn't even notice she said that! GREAT job!!!

Kathryn A said...

If totally agree with your feelings about Zig markers, but your flower turned out beautifully! Love this card, and the colours are gorgeous!

lainey said...

What a pretty card Marcia! I really have to stamp more backgrounds like you did because it adds such a nice look to the card!

Carmela said...

Love the blue background and your bright and lovely flower!! How cute that you placed it in the teacup!! Beautiful card, Marcia!!

tonyamaries said...

Lovely flower! Great layout too!

Greta said...

Your card is just gorgeous, Marcia--love the use of the dotted die--I wanted to use that, too--next card, maybe! I absolutely love my Zigs, but can't use them at all on cardstock. My favorite paper is Bristol & usually I do OK with watercolor paper, too. The paper truly makes a HUGE difference with Zigs!

Betty Neville said...

This is gorgeous, Marcia! You coloured the bloom beautifully, and I love how you stamped the background. I just started using Zigs as well, and have had better luck using Bristol vs regular cs. : )

Vicki A said...

Marcia, your card is gorgeous!

Cecilia Hsieh said...

I love the flower in the teacup Marcia! Beautiful card!!

Birgit said...

Wow Marcia, this is stunning! The silver embossed flower and your water coloring are fabulous and I love that you stamped the background in grey as well. It really ties the whole card together beautifully!

Donna Phelan said...

This is beautiful, I think you have hit every gorgeous note! Love that big bold beautiful blossom and the silver embossing! So pretty!

~amy~ said...

This turned out so pretty! Love the added tea cup.
I LOVE my zigs and it's true about the paper. It makes all the difference. Have you used the Ranger Watercolor paper yet? Another fav of mine to use is Reverse Confetti's Cloud White.

Cindy Beach said...

Woohoo! Congrats on being a winner, Marcia! Love your beautiful card.

lainey said...

Marcia, you're a winner AGAIN! Congrats AGAIN! lol You better be buying lottery tickets!!!!

Kathy Mc said...

Congrats on your win, Marcia! Your peony in the teacup is just stunning. I think you've conquered the Zigs successfully.

Carmela said...

Congratulations Marcia!!

Greta said...

Sure could use some of your luck--haha! Enjoy your spending spree, Marcia!

Helen F. said...

YAY! Marcia! Your gorgeous gorgeous card was one of the winners~you must be doing a happy dance! Have fun shopping :)

paperkicks said...

Gorgeous card, Marcia...love your focal point and colors you chose...and congrats on the win!!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is so pretty!

JD/ Jill said...

Lovely! Great job with those colors!

Bonnie said...

This is gorgeous, Marcia! I think you are mastering the Zigs!