Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Make It Monday #322 - Above & Below

Hello friends.  Lizzie has a FUN video and BEAUTIFUL card over on the Papertrey Ink Make It Monday challenge this week using a ABOVE & BELOW technique.

I struggled with this technique...not because it was hard, but because I really wanted to use flowers like Lizzie did in her example, but kept thinking that I always do flowers and need to think outside the box a bit more.  So I decided to give Forest Floor: Summer a try since I hadn't played with it yet and came up with this:


I was thinking of a Summer picnic basket with fresh strawberries, and while it turned out ok, it just didn't thrill me.  Although with ALL the fussy cutting I did (I was too cheap to buy the dies...grrrr!!), this card ought to count for something!!

So back to the drawing board.  I decided to give Quilted: Summer a try and came up with this:

I used the die to cut all the triangles from Hawaiian Shores, Aqua Mist, & Green Parakeet Bitty Big papers and laid them out like half of a pinwheel on the top of the sentiment strip and the other half of the pinwheel below the sentiment strip.


I added a small pinwheel to the upper left of the card because it looked too plain with no stenciling up there and then added a few sequins to finish it off.  I like it, but...  Maybe I'll just save both of these for Transformation Tuesday and see what else I can come up with.  I know, I know...I'm my own worst enemy, but I think we all have cards like this where something just doesn't click for us.  For today though, they are what they are!

Check out Lizzie's FABULOUS card and video and then play along right HERE.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


17 comments:

Nancy Penir said...

I love that you went with the second card, and created a pinwheel effect. the stenciling on both just adds so much depth. How adorable is this! But I love the strawberry card too, especially your fun colors! Btw, your photos knock me out!

Susan Watanabe said...

Love both your cards, Marcia! Your strawberry card has such a sweet summery feel to it. And I like your playful pinwheel in the second card...just wonderful! :)

Jill S said...

Your cards are great. Love the pinwheel; what a fun detail!

lainey said...

I like your strawberry card, it screams summer and you'll be happy it's in your inventory when you need it! The pinwheel card is fun and could be used for any occasion (even a male birthday!) Love the stenciling on both!

Marlena M. said...

Both cards are fantastic Marcia, you're way too hard on yourself! I love the themes and variety of colors in them~

Helen F. said...

Two fabulous cards here, Marcia! Love the pretty Summer-time strawberry card and the pinwheels are just adorable! Those stenciled backgrounds are fast becoming a new fave too!

victoria h said...

Those strawberries look delicious but I really like the lines and shapes on your second card- great idea to think of something other than flowers.

Sharyn Polesel said...

The quilted card is stunning. What a fun way to showcase that set. Also, love the strawberry card....so summery and lovely.

Patti said...

Two sensational cards from top to bottom!! : )

Kara Lynne said...

Both of your cards are wonderful, and yes, you are your own worst critic. I know what you mean though, sometimes I'm just not getting the results that I pictured in my head. Bravo for trying the non-flower route! I'm sorry I can't keep up with all the posts, but I did scroll down to see all your beautiful designs, Marcia!

Karen said...

Love the quilted card, and what fun to see the Forest Floor set in action. Mine has arrived, but I haven't broken it open yet. Both cards work well, and I give you great credit for thinking outside the box, which never occurred to me!

Deb Selby said...

Definitely too hard on yourself. Both cards are lovely. I love the stencil background and colour.

Ros Crawford said...

What lovely cards! Bright and happy and so beautifully designed!

Bonnie said...

This makes me hungry for strawberries! Love them with the soft blue! Great job on fussy cutting!

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Marica, I liked both of your cards and I'm really glad you showed us both of them because I think we all have moments where something just doesn't turn out to our liking.
Your beautiful quilted card inspired me to get out and use the same set. LOVE the cheerful pinwheel design.

Kathy Mc said...

Marcia, your first card dies remind me of a fun picnic and so summery. Your second card is so creative and unique with the quilted elements, and especially the pinwheel. Great color palette also!

richardbreaks said...

These are great! Pinwheels! Just wonderful...