Thursday, July 15, 2021

CAS Christmas Reminder - POINSETTIA

Hello friends.  Just a friendly reminder that there's still time to play along with us here at CAS Christmas, where this month we are looking for a POINSETTIA on your Christmas card!


My card is one of those that started out SO differently in my head, but turned out completely different in the end!  And then I wasn't even sure I liked it and was totally ready to scrap it and make something else, but then the card started growing on me...ever have that happen to you??!!  Take a look:


My cousin Sue had gifted me this Tim Holtz 3D Poinsettia embossing folder this past Christmas and I've seen some absolutely GORGEOUS cards done with it, but I've been a little intimidated by it!  I would love to paint it, but just too chicken that my skills aren't up to snuff for that!  So anyway, I embossed the Poinsettia twice...once on white cardstock, and once on red.  Next I lightly ran my Versamark pad over the raised petals and leaves and then added gold embossing powder.  It looked really pretty at this point but I just wasn't sure if it would look CAS, so I used a small stitched rectangle die to cut out just a portion of the red piece, and then matched it up to the coordinating white embossed panel (hope that makes sense??).  I adhered both to a Real Red cardstock layer, and then to a white card base.  My die cut "JOY" comes from PTI's Bold Borders: Flurries and was cut from gold matte cardstock (Gina K).  I also die cut the joy a few times from white cardstock to give some dimension to it.  I'm not sure what it was that I didn't like about this card when I first finished it, but it truly did grow on me and now I really like it!! 

We would love to help you get going on your Christmas cards (yes, even though it's the middle of Summer!!), so check out the rest of the inspiration from the DT HERE and then play along with us.  This challenge runs till the 24th.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


24 comments:

Linda said...

Marcia, what's not to love about it. So beautiful and elegant. Love the red border to go with the red poinsettias strip.

Peach said...

I love this and happy this card grew on you and wasn't scrapped; it's smashing!
xOx
Peach

Cat Craig said...

Its beautiful, Marcia.

Lisa Elton said...

It's marvelous, Marcia! The bold red panel is striking and I've always loved that PTI joy die!

Christine Alexander said...

Marcia, I love what you did with the 3D EF, your touch of red and gold is perfect and so elegant :)

Cathy said...

Such a unique design Marcia and it looks fabulous with that diecut, I love it! Cathy x

JoAnn said...

Your card is gorgeous. Very unique and creative. The gold on the raised areas of the red embossed layer looks great. I love it. Glad you didn't toss it.

Loll said...

A fantastic way to use this embossing folder Marcia!! I love the design with the gold embossed red panel over top of your back embossing. It's so creative and very beautiful! That JOY die is one of my favs! Great work, my friend! xx

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous Christmas card, Marcia! I love how you played with your embossing folder...the seamless transition between the red and white panels and your gold embossing is absolutely stunning! I also LOVE your die-cut sentiment...it's perfect! You've shared a great idea with us using embossing folders...Thank you! xx

Susan said...

What a beautiful card! The red and gold is so rich and elegant - and what a good idea to highlight just part of the embossing folder. Love that sentiment die!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh it's gorgeous!! Cleverly done and so elegant!

Julia Aston said...

What a lovely design with your beautiful embossing folder Marcia - the red with the gold is striking against the white background - I know what you mean about not liking something so different when you first put it together - and that it ends up looking beautiful after you come back to it!! xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

I LOVE the unique and fantastic design of this card, Marcia! The red panel adds a spot-lighting effect to the card, and the gold embossing enhances the dimension of the gorgeous 3D embossed poinsettia. The die-cut sentiment is placed in the perfect spot!
Hideko xx

Bobby said...

That is a gorgeous embossing folder, Marcia, and I do think you should try to paint it. The spotlight technique worked well for it though and the gold embossing gives it an elegant touch.

Birgit said...

This is stunning Marcia and I love how you envisioned this in your head, even if it came out differently than what you were expecting. It's truly gorgeous!

Trina P. said...

What? Hard to believe you didn’t like this at first. It’s elegant and beautiful, Marcia! Very cool how you spotlighted one area with the red rectangle. This EF is on my wishlist.

Bonnie said...

This is awesome, Marcia! I don't see anything not to love about this card! Sheer elegance, my friend!

Nancy Penir said...

So completely festive, Marcia! The red and gold against the white, striking!

Martina said...

Wow, that looks absolutely great, Marcia.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Funny how we second guess ourselves, isn't it? Well, your end result is magnificent, Marcia - so elegant with the white, red, and gold!!

Mac Mable said...

I love this card Marcia. It looks amazing, so unique and so very creative. A stand out card for me x.

Colleen said...

This is fabulous and another great way to use embossing folders in a very creative and elegant way...I LOVE this and will for sure be giving this a try!

Connie said...

I absolutely love this card you created! Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

Anonymous said...

This is actually my favorite design I have seen using this embossing folder. I love your card!💕