Thursday, May 23, 2013

Make it Monday #117 - Paper Piecing

Good morning friends.  Back with another PTI challenge and I have to tell you I LOVED this one!  I was so glad to hear Melissa say that she loves paper piecing in her video because that is something I have always enjoyed doing!  Most people don't like to take the time to do "fussy cutting", but I really like it.  I just turn on my ipod or the tv, get my really sharp Cutterbee paper snips, paper, and color me happy!! :0)  If that makes me different, well, so be it!  Anyway, on to the card!  I have a Gina K flower stamp ("Year of Flowers") that is very similar to the stamp Melissa used, so that is what I started with.  My dp is all from a Lily of the Valley pad.  Take a look:


If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you'll be able to better see the different dp.  I started with a white card base and embossed just the end with SU!'s Striped embossing folder.  I added my sentiment (from PTI's "Blooming Button Bits") right above the embossing, and then added my background piece of dp.  After stamping the flower directly onto the striped dp and then again onto 5 different coordinating floral design papers, I started the fun of cutting and paper piecing.  Since my flower is a bit smaller than the one Melissa used, I couldn't add all the fun to the center like she did without totally covering up my flower.  I did use the dies from PTI's "Lovely Layers" and felt to make my leaves (first time I ever stamped directly onto felt...fun, fun!!) and flower center, and then added a button and embroidery floss for the very center.  Next I did some faux stitching around the striped background paper, and then added some turquoise blue tulle, a few pearls, and part of a Cheery Lynn leaf die to finish off the card.  Not a quick and simple card, but definitely a fun one for me! :0) 

Want to play in PTI's May Blog Hop yet this week, but will have to see if time permits...been busy making lots of graduation cards this week.  Also only have a little over a week left to pull together a lifetime of pictures and school achievements onto poster boards and books for my youngest' open house...I think I've mentioned before I do some of my best work under pressure, so let's hope that holds true for this next week!  Hard to believe this is my baby's last day of high school today...bittersweet, but kind of glad to be leaving this phase of life behind. 

Thanks for stopping by today and hopefully I'll be back before week's end with some more inspiration!  Have a terrific Thursday! :0) 

5 comments:

Jacquie Southas said...

Beautiful card Marcia - the paper piecing is perfect and the whole design is full of lovely details!

Melissa said...

What a sweet card! I love your paper-pieced flower to bits. This turned out beautifully!
Thanks for playing along.
Melissa

Nancy Penir said...

Love the papers you chose, gorgeous together. The embossing on the right is the perfect accent.

Leigh Penner said...

Pretty card!

PStanley said...

Really like this card Marcia. I like the embossing. Adds a touch of sophistication to this pretty card :)