Tuesday, January 9, 2018

CAS Watercolour January 2018

Hello friends.  Playing along with this month's challenge over at CAS Watercolour and the key word is Birthday, which is great as I need to replenish my birthday card supply!


And here's what I came up with:


I used Altenew's Beautiful Lady and embossed the image in white, and then colored it with my Zigs.  I've had my Zigs for close to 2 years now and most of you who follow me know I've had a love/hate relationship with them, but I actually really like the way this card turned out, so I must be getting the hang of them a bit better now!  I've learned that if I put down just a touch of color with the Zigs and then move that color around with my Aqua Painter, I have much better success rather than trying to use the Zigs like a marker...hope that make's sense?!


Once dry, I added my sentiment from PTI's Stemmed Statements and then matted the piece with a black layer.  I added a honeycomb die cut (AliExpress) to my card base and then pop dotted the main image and added to the card base.

And just to prove to you that this really is a Birthday card, here is a peek at the inside:


For this card I have watercoloured, embossed, die cut, and stamped.

There is still plenty of time to play along with this challenge (open till the 24th), so check out all the beautiful inspiration from the DT, and then play along right HERE.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


8 comments:

Bonnie said...

This is beautiful, Marcia! I've found that less is more with the Zigs too. With just a bit of color and water, they are perfect! I love the subtle honeycomb texture in the background! Thanks for sharing this with us at CAS Watercolour!

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous heat embossed hydrangea, Marcia. That is my favorite way to use Zigs too. You have more control of your color shades and highlights by going from light to darker shades. Love the honeycomb texture too. TFS my friend and joining us at CAS Watercolour. Hugs.

Linda said...

This is beautiful Marcia. And I totally know what you mean about using a little color and then spreading with an aqua pen. Beautiful water coloring.

Patti said...

A striking design Marcia! and your coloring is amazing : )

(((Hugs)))
Patti

Loll said...

WOW! Gorgeous card Marcia. I love the colours of your beautiful hydrangea. And your design is so pretty with the sentiment along the stem and the added design and texture of the white-on-white honeycomb background. You have really mastered Zigs. Definitely, use just a little and move with a waterbrush. I usually use very little water ... sometimes just a damp brush to move things around. Depends on the paper you are using. I usually use mixed media which doesn't like a lot of water.

I have to say that your card designs have really blossomed since I've gotten to know you. You have embraced mixed media and all your creations are so beautiful, creative and artsy! This beauty is no exception. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

Christine Alexander said...

Marcia, you certainly nailed this watercoloured flower, the hydrangea is beautiful. there is some amazing mix of the purples and blues and the white embossing has created a wonderful outline. thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour :)

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, Marcia. I love your design and the hydrangea, beautiful watercolouring.

Greetings from Germany
Anke

stampwithsandy said...

Wow, this is absolutely stunning, Marcia! Your watercoloring is perfect!