Sunday, August 16, 2026

Color Hues #139 - YELLOW & ORANGE

Hello friends.  Time for a new challenge here at Color Hues, and as the hostess I chose the color pairing of  YELLOW & ORANGE.  I love Sunflowers and thought this would be a great color pairing for them, but there is so much else you can do with these two colors...any florals, Fall leaves, Halloween, etc.!


I did make a Sunflower card, but while I was waiting for an order to come in with a die I wanted to use for the sentiment, I started another card using a stencil from The Ton (Cosmos Border Stencils) that I've been having a lot of fun with lately.  Take a look...


Aren't the soft and darker yellows and oranges so pretty?!  I used a light kraft for the leaves and just love the way it turned out!


 I used SB's Hemstitch die for a border and placed a piece of matte gold cs behind so the border would really show up.  I used the same matte gold cs for my die cut sentiment from Kristina Werner and finished with a few sparkling gold gems from PFS.


And here's my Sunflower that I started first.  I used SU!'s Sunflower 3D embossing folder and the blackout technique where I inked up the debossed side of folder with Mango Melody (SU!) ink for my yellow and then after running it through my die cutting machine, I rubbed my Pumpkin Pie (SU!) ink pad over the raised background.  I absolutely LOVE the way this turned out...so much depth and dimension!!


I didn't want to take away from the print, so I finished the card simply by adding it to a white card base and adding my hello sentiment from Kristina Werner's Framed Script Hello Dies that I die cut once from the matte gold cs and twice from plain white so I could layer it enough to stand out.  I did add a few Sparkling Champagne Pearls from PFS to finish it off.

So there's my two ideas for the yellow and orange color pairing, and our talented DT and Special GD Priscilla have lots more ideas to inspire you with these two colors.  I hope you'll have as much fun as I did with these colors and can't wait to see what YOU come up with!  This challenge is open till Saturday, August 29th @ 9:00AM.


Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


20 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

I really would love to take that stencil for a spin one day, Marcia - gosh this is such a wonderful use of your chosen colors! and WOWZERS, do I ever love those embossed sunflowers! A stunning way to send a simple hello!
I look forward to playing along!
=]

Nancy said...

Both are exceptional, Marcia but let me just say that the first one blew my socks off. One of the prettiest cards I have seen and so well executed! I enjoyed your colors and I know others will too. HUGS!

JoAnn said...

Your first one using the stenciled border in these colors is a WOW card Marcia. Love the softness of the colors and everything about it. Your sunflower card looks pretty using this technique. Have a great week my friend. Hugs.

Leslie Miller said...

You stopped me in my tracks. Oh. My. GOSH! As if one jaw dropping card is not enough, you made an extra. WOW! Oh, how I love your use of the colors, and the stencil set is amazing! And the gold is a really special touch. Your sunflower card is next level with this technique. The flowers simply glow against the background. This has been a must try technique in my bookmarks for ages. Stunning on both counts, Marcia!

Loll said...

Two beautiful card using the challenge colours Marcia. LOVE the gorgeous stenciled cosmos ... so beautiful. You've got the most beautiful shades of the two colours that look amazing, especially with the kraft colours leaves. Love the hemstitch border too. :) You blackout embossing technique is gorgeous with the bright and bold colours you've use for your sunflowers. Amazing! xx

Karen said...

First, I love the color combo you chose. But then WOW - two amazing cards! I love that stencil and the florals are just gorgeous. The sunflowers are stunners! I'm guessing it's even more impressive in person. Another technique I need to try.

Bonnie said...

I have been admiring this, Marcia, and wondered about that stencil. I think I may have to order that! Again you have enabled me, but I'm not sure I can get such beautiful results! Love the colors and the card!

Bonnie said...

I love the sunflowers too. I almost forgot to mention that! Sunflowers are perfect for these colors and this is such a sunny card!

Lisa Elton said...

Holy smokes... these are spectacular! I'm swooning over the first one. Are you going to force me to go shopping? Marvelous makes, My friend!

Julie B said...

Two wonderful makes Marcia. Love the softness of the stencilled cosmos with the dotted die cut frame and your sunflower has such impact. :)

Bobby said...

Oh my goodness, Marcia! So much gorgeousness on one blog post. The soft colors of the Cosmos border blend so well together and look terrific with the kraft leaves. The sunflower card looks like a wood block print with all the dimension. You merged two techniques with one stunning result, my friend.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Oh Marcia, what beautifies these are! I love them both. All the different hues of the challenge colors are so wonderful and create so much depth. They also bring Fall to mind and I am so looking forward to cooler weather and Autumn colors. The sunflowers are fabulous too. I have yet to try that technique. I have a sunflower EF too. Maybe I can find some time today to try this. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

Birgit said...

What can I say that all the other ladies haven't already said? These two cards are stunning!!! I'm completely head over heals for the first card. The stenciling in these colors is brilliant. The second card is equally beautiful. So much depth and dimension. What amazing inspiration using just those two colors. Beautifully done my friend!

cm said...

I'm at a loss for words to express how stunning both your cards are. So, I'll just leave it at this: a duo of GORGEOUS! You've really made your colour combination shine with these two works of art!
hugs~carol

I Card Everyone said...

Fingers crossed, girlfriend!
xx

Greta said...

2 beautiful cards, Marcia, but the first has my heart! Love the floral images and the inks you used--gorgeous!

Rosemary said...

The first card is so lovely and eye catching, but that second card is a real stunner! I think I said "wowee zowee" out loud when I saw it. Amazing. Thank you so much for the lovely comment on my card. It really made me see the card in a new light!

Stef Perry said...

First off, great color combination for August, Marcia! I love both your cards and both are so different. The delicate design of the flowers encircling the card edges on the first one is so, so pretty in the colors you used. And using the blackout technique on the 2nd made the whole thing POP with the more graphic look of the design. Beautifully done, my friend! (And I have to smile at Michele taking you up on making a Christmas card with these colors *wink*).

donna mikasa said...

Two stunning cards! You nailed that blackout technique and I'm seeing that embossing folder in a whole new light! And I'll have you know that you enabled me to get that stencil from The Ton and now I'm stalking the mail carrier! Just so pretty!

Tracey McNeely said...

Sunflowers this time of the year are so special and yours are stunning! I'm so sorry I was so late to pop in to comment! Both of your designs are incredible but that blackout technique you used on the second card yielded gorgeous results! xo