Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Modern Whimsy Birthday

Good morning friends and Happy New Year's Eve to you!  Do you celebrate big on New Year's Eve?  I'm so ready to lay low at this point that we usually don't do much, but we are going to go see a movie (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty) tonight.  Love Ben Stiller, so I'm looking forward to tonight!  Our youngest took me to see a great movie last night...Saving Mr. Banks.  If you're from the Mary Poppins generation (like me!) you will love this movie!  Didn't get great reviews and I don't understand why, as I thought it was SO good!  Anyway, whatever you end up doing tonight to celebrate, stay safe and enjoy! :0)

My niece is celebrating a birthday today, and for her card I used a style that Danielle Flanders introduced to us several weeks ago called Modern Whimsy.  I have to admit most times I'm not a very "modern" person, but I really do like this style of card making.  Take a look:


My niece is not a pink and flowery type person, so I thought this style (and colors) might work well for her.  This style is basically adding lots of layers and different elements.  I started with a kraft cs base and a 2" strip of vellum that I embossed the bottom edge of with PTI's "Boutique Borders: Thanks" die and stamp set.  I also die cut the word birthday out of the center of the vellum strip and then inset it with the same die cut using a swiss dot turquoise blue cs.  I added a couple more design paper banner strips behind the vellum strip, and then attached a red wreath die cut (PTI's Rustic Wreath) over the top of the banner strips.  When I trimmed down the width of the black and white flowered banner, the backside of the paper made a cool striped design, so I added a piece to both the bottom and the top of the card.  The "happy" is from PTI's "Embroidered Blooms" stamp set.  The flower at the top is also a PTI die and helped to balance out the card.  Here's a closer up view:


These are really fun cards to put together and I think I will be using more of this style...already have a few more ideas rolling around in my head! :0)  Well, that's all for today friends, but I will be back later this week with a card I'm working on for the newest Make it Monday challenge.  Until then, I'd like to wish each of you a very happy and blessed new year!  Thanks for stopping by! :0) 

No comments: