Friday, February 21, 2014

MIM #152 - Layering Dye & Pigment Inks

Good morning friends.  Happy to say that the house is still standing after all the 40 - 50 mph winds that howled all night long in my neck of the woods!  And of course brought more snow with them...grrrrr!  So anyway, making my sunshine inside today and playing along with Papertrey Inks Make it Monday challenge.  Heather Nichols has a great video here on how to layer pigment & dye inks to create beautiful but very hard to photograph cards! (after reading a lot of comments from other gals I see that I'm not alone in trying to photograph this technique, but you'll just have to trust me that in person it is just a really, really cool technique!!)  Here is my first try:


I stamped my background with SU!'s Whisper White pigment ink and SU!'s Script background stamp.  I then used a couple of the flower stamps from PTI's "Daydreamer" stamp set and stamped (and stamped off) them in Primrose Petals and Perfect Plum inks and the leaves in Certainly Celery.  The sentiment is from PTI's "Delightful Dahlia Additions" stamp set.  Here's a closer up view so you can see a little bit the script in the background:


Again, in person this technique is so pretty and definitely worth trying.  I think I am going to try playing around with it some more and see if different stamps (or even different paper, like maybe a heavier cardstock or glossy even) would work better.  I'm trying to ramp up my supply of birthday cards (amazing how quickly they disappear!!), so this is a good reason to play some more! :0)  Also loving playing with pretty colors and flower stamps since I'm not seeing anything but mountains of white outside!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and who knows, maybe I'll be back later with another try at this technique!  Happy Friday! :0)

4 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

You are right! We need bright and cheery here in the north east or anywhere that the snow has just piled up. Bright, cheery, flowery card that fits the bill perfectly. Right on the mark.

Helen F. said...

Beautiful card, Marcia! Love the colors of your pretty Spring time blooms. Sending warm wishes your way ;-)

Sue said...

I love this card! I am hoping to CAS it today! Great way to spend a very cold, but sunny day here!

Darnell said...

You did a remarkable job with this technique, Marcia! It's on my list to do and you've got me twitching to put it up to the top of the list!! Sorry about the winter going on and on and on ... but glad to hear you didn't have any damage from the gale-force winds!! Hugs, Darnell