Monday, January 25, 2016

January 2016 PTI Blog Hop

Hello friends.  It's the 25th, and that means it's time for Papertrey Ink's monthly blog hop!  I love a good challenge, and this month was definitely it for me!  The inspiration photo was very graphic, which is so not my style, so I admit I struggled a bit with this card, but it's always good to try new things and get out of a rut, so all's good!  Here's the inspiration photo:

January inspiration

I finally figured out a background with the blue that I really liked, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to incorporate the wooden oval surfboards!  So I left them out and came up with this:


My background was done by using my Blueberry Sky ink cube, and inking up the inside of an older Darice embossing folder (the raised side), misting it with water, and then "smooshing" my cardstock into it.  Once it dried, I really liked the look of it!  I ended up and went for simple, by trimming off just a bit on the sides so the Blueberry Sky card panel would show, and then attached very thin strips of a blue glitter paper I've had for like ever and never used.  My sentiment comes from the Winter Hills set and my Blue Jay is from the Winter Woods set, and he is pop dotted up for a little dimension.  Because this is not my usual style, I HAD to add some sequins to bling it up just a little and make it more of a "me" card! :0)  Even though it's not my usual style, I like the way it came out, and it was good to play outside my comfort zone for a bit!  I admit I'm very curious to see how everyone else interpreted this month's photo!!  :0)

Make sure you stop by and check out all the fun over at PTI right HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do! :0)

22 comments:

Nancy Penir said...

Oh that gorgeous bg! Love that you added no other color, but went with texture and the bird. Lovely winter card!

Betty Wright said...

Love the background you created! Great technique! Lovely card!

Marybeth said...

Oh what a beautiful card Marcia! The background is amazing and I love that sweet bird! It's a you card!

Julia Aston said...

What a great technique to make your lovely background! love the popped up bird and sweet sentiment!

lainey said...

Marcia, what a stunning background!!! And I like that this is an "all blue" card. Just lovely.

Betty Neville said...

This is beautiful! Your background is amazing! I think you did a great job with this challenge.

Cammie said...

I love the background. A stunning interpretation of this challenge.

Keri said...

Great job, Marcia! :)

Jacquie Southas said...

I love the way you used an embossing folder to great that great background!

merryf said...

wow this is gorgeous! Love your embossing folder technique and I'm going to try it.

Leigh Penner said...

This is so sweet and pretty!

Diana K said...

I'm so trying your embossing folder technique, Marcia! What an adorable card!

Helen F. said...

Marcia, your card is stunning! LOVE the awesome background and that handsome Blue Jay perched on the sentiment!

Birgit said...

Love, love, LOVE your background! Marcia, this card rocks! I'm so going to try your background technique, and I love that you added sequins to make it more "you". You're awesome!!

Skrater said...

This is so lovely. I am going to have to try that technique and the bird is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

The Paper Toile said...

Your background is fabulous!

Linda said...

This was very challenging for me too, Marcia. We like flowers, right? Great take on the challenge.

Martha said...

Marcia, this is so adorably sweet.
Fabulous take on the challenge.
I love it!

Kathy Mc said...

So, Marcia, this is just lovely. Looks like your bluejay is perched on a brick building. Going to try your technique of inking up an EF...haven't done that in ages.

Luanne said...

That background is gorgeous! Love your card!

tonyamaries said...

I love your background! Very pretty card!

Kay Miller said...

This is just beautiful Marcia! I love the way your background turned out!