Saturday, June 23, 2018

Make It Monday #325 - Creating Flowers In Reverse

Hello friends.  Dawn McVey is up with this week's challenge at Make It Monday and she shows us how to make beautiful cards by creating the flowers in reverse...basically leaving your flowers white and adding color with your leaves.

I dragged my feet on this challenge all week...I think mostly because I don't usually buy flower dies as I really like to fussy cut.  My mojo has also been missing a bit this week too, but I made myself go through my dies yesterday, and I actually had more than I thought that I could use.  So anyway, I spent time cutting out a bunch of flowers and leaves yesterday and put my card together this morning.  Here's what I came up with:


I used flowers and leaves from Doodlie-Do, Songbirds, and Friendly Flowers and embossed the flowers in white and also the background with the Cover Up: Quatrefoil stamp.  A small piece of Hawaiian Shores Pattern Paper was added to the bottom of my card just to add a bit more color.


My leaves were stamped with Green Parakeet and Hawaiian Shores ink, and I also cut one of the Songbird branches with Hawaiian Shores cs.


I used pop dots to raise the centers of my white flowers to give a bit more dimension, and then tucked my leaves underneath.  I also used the Make It Market Mini: Garden Gild and Button Stacks for the centers of two of the flowers.  I finished off with a seam binding ribbon in white, a button, and a few iridescent sequins.  And I definitely have a lot of die cut pieces leftover to make a few more cards!

Check out Dawn's BEAUTIFUL cards and video right HERE and then play along! 

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


18 comments:

lainey said...

Marcia, for someone who struggled with this challenge, well, your card is BEAUTIFUL! The white embossing on white, along with all the layers, the stitched leaves, the buttons, colors, thread....unbelievable results! This card is a masterpiece!!!!

nancy said...

Looks like your mojo has returned, Marcia. Fabulous color pairing and the white-on-white embossing is wonderful. Fabulous card!

Mac Mable said...

What a fun idea to keep the flowers white and then to do the leaves etc in the colours. It is such a wonderful effect and clearly your mojo is back. Beautiful card x

Nancy Penir said...

I'm crushing on every element of this lovely! From the embossing to the layout, just a big WOW! Way to go lady!

Linda said...

Well, I think you have found your mojo with this beauty. So much texture. Love it.

Sharyn Polesel said...

This is absolutely lovely..every inch of it. Love all of the embossing and those pretty Hawaiian Shores leaves.

Bonnie said...

The white on white embossing is such a lovely look, Marcia! It makes me think of a wedding cake! Love the pops of color in the leaves!

Colleen said...

Yeah, your mojo is back in full swing...this is a stunner...love all you wonderful colors and so much white and the embossing really adds so much extra texture! Just fabulous friend!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

You nailed it Marcia! Beautiful card!

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Marcia! Love all the layers starting with the white quatrefoil heat embossed design on white background ... so pretty! And your layers of fussy-cut flowers and leaves is fantastic. The striped paper at the bottom ties everything together. Great work! xx

Birgit said...

This is so pretty Marcia, I can't imagine you ever missing your mojo. The colors you used are fresh and stunning! You did Dawn's challenge proud with this beautiful card!!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love the yummy colors on your foliage, Marcia! So fabulous with the contrast of the white flowers!!

Marlena M. said...

Yay Marcia! I saw your beautiful card won the draw~congrats friend~

Nancy Penir said...

Can you hear the glee clapping? Congrats my friend! Enjoy!

lainey said...

Yahoo you won! Congrats!!!!!!

Traci M said...

Congratulations, Marcia! Beautiful Card!

Kathy Mc said...

What a jaw dropper this one is, Marcia, and congrats on your win! Love every inch of detail you added and the heat embossing stepped it up a notch or two or three or more. Why didn’t I think to add some embossing? Thanks for the inspiration!

Helen F. said...

I don't know how I missed commenting on this beauty, Marcia! But, it sure was great to see your name as the winner for this gorgeous card~Congratulations and happy shopping!