Tuesday, June 19, 2018

CAS Mix Up June 2018 - Layered Embossing Powders

Hello friends.  This month's challenge at CAS Mix Up is all about Layered Embossing Powders.


I've mentioned before how hooked I am on Lindy's Magical Powders, and this past month I've also been really hooked on seahorses.  I combined both for my card for the CAS Watercolour Reminder Post, and just wasn't ready to stop playing with either the Magicals or the seahorses, so I combined both again and also added the layered embossing.  I started with the Lindy's Magicals using 3 colors:


This is what combining Tibetan Poppy Teal, Cattail Copper Brown, & Ponderosa Pines Olive look like together (wet).  And here's what those combined colors look like on a seahorse...


While my Magicals were drying I worked on my OCEAN background using Loll's SPLASH Technique and Peacock Feathers Distress Ink and water.  I used my heat tool to dry this layer (because I'm impatient!) and then did some water splattering to add the look of bubbles in the water.


Once my water colored background was dry I went back to my Magicals piece and die cut the 2 seahorses (Gina Marie Designs) and then began the process of layering clear embossing powder over each of them.  Because I do not have an electric griddle which would make the whole process so much easier by heating from the bottom rather than the top, my desk was quite a mess after layering 6 layers of embossing powder over each seahorse.  The mess and the time was well worth the effort though when I saw the end result of my seahorses!


I literally took about 40 photos to try and capture the shimmer and sparkle of the Lindys Magical Powders AND the shine from the 6 layers of embossing powder, and came up with one photo that somewhat does these seahorses justice!  I used a stitched rectangle die to cut out my background and then framed around with a white layer and adhered to a white card base.  I pop dotted the seahorses and then added a sentiment that I embossed in white on a back banner from SU!'s Moon Lake stamp set...I thought the sentiment very fitting for my lovely seahorses!!  A few clear Rainstones (PTI) finished off my CAS card.

The DT has some absolutely GORGEOUS cards to inspire you with the Layered Embossing Powder technique, and there are also some real beauties in the gallery as well.  This challenge is open till the 24th, so check it out right HERE.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


14 comments:

Birgit said...

I'm speechless Marcia! The seahorses cut from your magic paper are stunning! The extra gloss on them gives them such life and the rain drops give it that underwater feel. The sentiment is lovely too. Wow, my friend!

Ros Crawford said...

WOW!!!!! They are amazing!! I love your seahorses! Gorgeous card and the mess was definitely well worth it!

Mac Mable said...

Marvellous mixing of the medias to produce one stunning CAS card. The gloss from all that embossing layering sure was worth it and those Lindy's are fabulous. Beautiful background and one unique and creative card....What a stunner. A griddle/pancake maker etc really does save all the mess and makes it so easy. I am finding now that I am embossing more layers now and having fun with beads, micas etc as it's so easy and cleaner to do so. Yes this technique is really addictive and produces the most unique and fabulous creations x Thank you for joining in the fun challenge at The CAS Mix Up Challenge Marcia x

Loll said...

Oh my gosh!! This is AMAZING Marcia! LOVE that background ... but it's the seahorses that steal the show! They are amazing with the mix of Lindy's powders. And the shine from the thick embossing is awesome. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

Lisa Elton said...

Oh wow, how cool are they! This is awesome Marcia!

Christina said...

I love love love the seahorses! The clear rain stones really top it off perfectly to make a waterscape.

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous Marcia, the magicals really sparkle behind the embossing powder.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonnie said...

What beautiful seahorses, Marcia! All that embossing makes them look like jewelry! The splash background works perfectly with them to give an ocean feel! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Gorgeous mix of the Lindy's Magical Powders, Marcia! And you created AMAZING seahorses! Six layers of clear embossing!!! No wonder these look super-shiny and smooth! Your close-up photo is fantastic too. Hideko xx

nancy littrell said...

Wow..absolutely Gorgeous Layered Embossing Powders over your magicals on your seahorses, Marcia. Love your beautiful splash and water dropped water background too. A real beauty, my friend. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up. Hugs

Marlena M. said...

Marcia, this is incredible! Love those seahorses~

Darnell said...

Okay, then, I know what I want to do with my Magicals next! I love seahorses, too, and just love how your jeweled babies turned out, Marcia, so I can't wait to try it with my seahorse dies. As soon as I got home from BC, I ordered the Magicals! I was hooked the moment I saw the shine. Brenda IN tried the technique using a pan on her gas stove and it worked, so I think I will give that a try. Although now that I think about it, there might be a grill in the center of my stove that hasn't seen the light of day in the 11 years we've owned the stove! Lightbulb moment! Might as well put it to use, whoot! Sorry I thought we were on the phone ... back to your card, in case you couldn't tell, I'm madly in love with everything about it!! Hugs, Darnell

Julia Aston said...

You're right Marcia - it is SO hard to adequately photo the thick embossing! but the close up does the trick - your seahorses are gorgeous! thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx