Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Christmas Kickstart #16 - Christmas Card/Christmas Card: Christmas Tree

Hello friends.  Did you guess from the title of my post that the newest elf from the Christmas Kickstart Challenge is none other than the Queen of the TWOFER CHALLENGES?!


Yep, Darnell is the newest elf and she would like to see us make two cards using the same Christmas Tree stamp or die.  I used one of my favorite Tim Holtz tree dies (Woodlands) and came up with these 2 cards:


Same tree die but two totally different cards.


For my 1st card I started with a piece of kraft cardstock that I embossed with SU!'s Subtle embossing folder (LOVE this EF!!!) and then layered it to a piece of gold mirror cardstock and then adhered to a cream card base.  Next I stamped my sentiment with Soft Suede ink using PB's Yuletide Wishes stamp set, and then added the 2 die cut Woodlands trees using gold mirror cs and Ocean Tides (PTI) cs.


Here you can see the Subtle ef better...adds such nice and simple texture to your background.  I finished off this card with a few gold sequins and some jute twine...little bit of glamour and a little bit of rustic.


My 2nd card began with a piece of cs using the paper towel technique gone bad.  What?!!  I had a piece of paper towel that I had used Color Bursts Pthalo Green on, and after misting with water I had the bright idea to wrap the paper towel around the piece of white cs and then run it through my Big Shot.  Well it transferred the green ink to the white cardstock all right, but the pressure of the Big Shot smoothed out all the texture pattern from the paper towel, so it didn't transfer to the cardstock the way I'd hoped!  Grrrr!  Almost threw it away, but one thing I have learned from hanging around with Loll and Bonnie is, DON'T EVER THROW MISTAKES AWAY!!  So once it dried, it looked kinda cool...almost leather like.  And it made a perfect background for my 2nd card!  I just used a Spellbinders Hemstitched Die to give a little interest to my background, and then added the tree die cut and a gold mirror cs JOY die cut from WPlus 9's Hand Lettered Holidays set.


So there you have it...my Christmas Tree Twofer.  You can check out Dotty Jo and Darnell's BEAUTIFUL Christmas Tree cards for inspiration and then play along right HERE.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


11 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Two beauties, Marcia! Just love your TH tree duo with the kraft on card one!! And what a gorgeous background for your single tree on card two!! You really saved it!!

Bonnie said...

It looks like dry embossing the paper towel made some creases that give texture too! It was a great idea and I love the results! It's especially pretty with the hem stitch frame and woodland tree! Love the combination of rustic and elegant for the first card. A great combination!

Lisa Elton said...

I love what you've done here Marcia! The trees look beautiful in each of the colors you've used. I think the gold is my favorite. I looks wonderful on the kraft base!

nancy littrell said...

Two gorgeous Christmas tree card designs, Marcia. I have this tree die. You are really inspiring me to use it...soon! Love your earth tones combined with your gold foil and beautiful Yule Tide Wishes. Wonderful textured BG too. Your 2nd card is so beautiful with your saved background. Love the texture and bright green background with your white accents and gold foil die cut Joy! TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

I Card Everyone said...

Just for you CAS girls, I used paper towel to clean up after myself the other day... let's just say that 'gone wrong' piece is the perfect backing for another right now! lol try, try again?
Two gorgeous Christmas cards, Marcia … I may like to borrow that die, too! when are you 'moving in?'
=]

Dotty Jo said...

Two gorgeous cards, Marcia! I'm so glad that our twofering-inspired challenge is so popular. Darnell is such a sweetheart and a very popular elf. I love the design and the colour combo of both cards - just lovely. Thanks for playing along at The Christmas Kickstart Challenge again. I've still got your prize if you'd like to send me your address! Jo x

Ros Crawford said...

It really does look like leather... So now you have come up with a new technique! Fabulous cards Marcia!

Darnell said...

I just realized that your last sentence could have said Dotty Jo and Dolly Jean, lol! Why didn't I think of that before we published the challenge? Slap! Your twofer Christmas cards are divine, Marcia! Truly! I love that e/f and how it gives the paper a linen look! (So much easier than using PTI's plate, ssh!) You have such an eye for color and it shows with how you combined gold mirror and Ocean Tides! Pwety!

And I love the story of how the second brilliant green leather background came about! You are an honor student of Lolly and Bonnie and you did them proud with this background! It's perfect for your white tree and slanted sediment in gold! Thank you so much for joining in our Kickstart/Twofer challenge! Hugs, Darnell

JoAnn said...

Your two Christmas cards are beautiful with that tree die cut. Love the sentiment and subtle embossing on the first one. The green background on the 2nd one looks great.

Anita in France said...

You've showcased that delicate Christmas tree beautifully, Marcia ... on both cards! The shiny gold/rustic kraft/soft blue combination on the first is gorgeous ... and yes, I thought of leather as soon as I saw that cool, crisp, fresh green background ... perfect with all the white! So pleased that didn't get thrown away! Hugs, Anita :)

Sharron said...

Both are beautiful--love that tree die! It's fun seeing how it looks in different colors. The gold with kraft is so pretty and I love your green background. Glad you saved it as it's gorgeous with the white tree.