Sunday, August 18, 2019

Twofer Challenge #19 - NAUTICAL

Hello friends.  The Twofer Challenge this month is all about...


I always think of NAUTICAL being red, white, & blue, and STRIPES, and I was bound and determined to figure out how to use a new striped stencil I'd gotten from SSS called NAUTICAL STRIPES.  I know, I know, what's so hard about stripes and a stencil??!  Well this particular stencil has all different width stripes and no matter how gentle you are with your blending, the skinny stripes move around like crazy so you don't end up with nice straight stripes...grrrrr!!  Thank goodness I finally heard about a product called Pixie Spray that you spray on the back of your stencil and it gives a light tack to hold everything in place while you do your blending or sponging on the top of the stencil.  Anyway, long story short, I was finally able to use the stencil and came up with these two NAUTICAL cards.

 
The card on the left is a baby card and the one on the right a birthday card for my always low supply of masculine birthday cards!

Let's start with the baby card...


My background was stenciled with Distress Oxide inks (Blueprint Sketch, Salty Ocean, & Broken China) and then adhered to a white panel and a Pacific Point card base.  Next I die cut 4 of SSS's Anchors and glued them together and then added some white string and a Tiny Tag star shape from PTI with "little one" stamped in Pacific Point ink.

And using the same stencil AND anchor die cut...


For this card I used red and blue (Fired Brick & Blueprint Sketch) Distress Oxide inks for the stenciled part and then cut off a strip of it to use just on the left hand side of the white card base.  The sailboat is from an older SU! set stamped in the Fired Brink ink and then I inked up a white piece of cardstock with the Blueprint Sketch and die cut the anchor and the banner flag for the sentiment (from The Greetery's Sentiment Suite: Birthday stamp set.

So that's my Twofer, Twofer for you this month!  This challenge is open till the 24th and Darnell and her DT have LOTS of FABULOUS inspiration if you need help getting started.  Check it all out right HERE.  

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


11 comments:

Vikki H said...

Cool stripes and designs, Marcia! I love your ombre ink blending on the stripes. Guess Pixie Spray better get on my list.

Darnell said...

That Pixie spray is now on its way to my house, lol! You got amazing clean stripes with that thin-lined stencil, Marcia, and it's the perfect background for your baby boy card and as a panel on your red, white, and blue manly birthday card! Love the anchor and the way you have tied them both on each card. Your little star sediment and sailboat panel are wonderful elements, too! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #19! I appreciate your enthusiasm! Hugs, Darnell

Kara Lynne said...

Those nautical stripes are fantastic, Marcia! So glad to hear the Pixie spray really works. I was waiting to hear what others thought of it, but now it's on my wish list. I love the white on shades of blue for your sweet baby card, and the frayed rope and tiny star are so wonderful! What a perfect masculine birthday card with the red, white, and ocean blue! Great sail boat too! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

Dotty Jo said...

Gorgeous cards, Marcia! Sadly, I don't seem to have anything in my stash that equips me to play in this challenge, so I'll just enjoy visiting instead, Jo x

Bonnie said...

What a great idea for a baby card, Marcia! Love the stripes and the frayed twine! The red, white and blue stripes are perfect for the sailboat and anchor on the second card! A great masculine card! Two great cards, my friend!

Jeanne H said...

Really super anchor cards. Yup, now I have to get that anchor die. :-)

Birgit said...

Two perfectly striped nautical cards here Marcia! Pixie Spray is new to me too, but sounds like a wonderful product. Thanks for enabling me my friend.

Happy Dance said...

Mmmm...striiippessss. And I should add, perfectly stenciled stripes, too! I'd heard of Pixie Spray, but hadn't even considered checking it out. Might just have to now! Great cards, Marcia! LOVE this idea for a baby card! Pretty blues which are perfect for a baby boy. Love the little star, too. That birthday card looks just like summertime out on the Lake, too! (Tomorrow is regatta day here) Awesome masculine design which are always in demand in our stashes! Such a great design, you should make even more! Have a great week, and thanks for joining us at the Twofer Challenge! xo Bev

I Card Everyone said...

You aced those stripes in a very striking stripe-y way, Marcia!! Okay... I'm gonna say it... shouldn't it say : happy BERTH day? tee hee!
Two mores sleeps!!
=]

Sharron said...

What an awesome stencil and you did a fabulous job with the colors! I never heard of Pixie Spray either but it sounds like a wonderful tool. Love the inspiration for masculine designs, always a challenge.

Anita in France said...

Gosh, I can almost feel the breeze and spray from your red, white and blue yacht scene, Marcia ... the stripes are deliciously nautical ... and the anchor really pops is that luscious blue! What a brilliant idea for a baby card ... the crisp background is the perfect foil for the rope tied anchor ... and that little star is such a sweet touch! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Hugs, Anita :)