Tuesday, October 19, 2021

CAS Mix Up Oct. 2021 - BOTANICAL PRINTS

Hello friends.  Playing along with the CAS Mix Up Challenge where this month the hostess Bonnie is challenging us to get out in nature (I walked into my front yard!) and collect some leaves to make BOTANICAL PRINTS with.  If you've never tried this technique, Bonnie has some great video links listed on the site to help you out.

 

I snipped off one of my Boston Fern leaf fronds, a leaf from one of my Hostas, and a collection of different colored leaves from our Maple tree.  The Boston Fern one turned out ok, the Hosta leaf just made a gooey mess, and the Maple leaves turned out pretty good.  Here's what I ended up with before turning them into cards...


And here's the 3 finished cards I ended up with...


I added Distress Ink to my leaves before putting them through my Big Shot, and this was from the 2nd pull, as there was still ink left on them after the 1st pull...I just spritzed with a bit of water and then ran them through my Big Shot again.  A much softer and muted result, but I like how it turned out!


 You can see the embossed lines from the actual leaves better in this close up.  My sentiment is from The Greetery's Bittersweet Bouquet.


I think this one turned out to be my favorite, even though I wasn't too impressed after I pulled it out of my Big Shot and peeled the frond off the cardstock.  It tore the cardstock in some places and that bugged me, but after it had dried out and I placed it in an embossing folder (SU!'s Time Worn), I really liked the CAS look it had.  I simply matted this one with some black and a white card base, and then added my die cut sentiment from Memory Box's Just A Note Posh Script that I popped up with some foam tape.


My last card uses the 1st pull from the painted Maple leaves...


Adding the ink to the leaves definitely adds a brighter look to the leaves after pressing them through the Big Shot, and I do like the look, although I like the muted shades of the first two cards much better!  


I finished up this card with a strip of embossed Pumpkin Pie cs (SU!) that I used a SSS 3D Falling Leaves embossing folder on, a bit of twine, and a sentiment from Clearly Besotted's Autumn Flowers.

The DT has outdone themselves this month with all their BEAUTIFUL Botanical Prints, so make sure you check out their inspiration, and then play along right HERE.  This challenge is open till the 24th.


Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


14 comments:

Mac Mable said...

The effects from the fun technique look fabulous and so surprising Marcia. The colours, the dry embossing and your designs of all the three cards are amazing x. You looked like you had fun Marcia? x.

Cat Craig said...

Great technique and lovely cards Marcia.

Birgit said...

What a fun project! Your cards turned out fantastic, Marcia! I love the textured background on the card using the Boston Fern. They're all stunning!

Loll said...

All of your prints cards are beautiful, Marcia! LOVE the second pull of the maple leaves. The colours are muted, but all the veining is still showing. So cool! Your fern is AMAZING. I love the texture from the dry embossing over top. So clever to add that ... we'd never know there were any tears. And your first pull maple leaves are so vibrant and beautiful. Gorgeous cards. Especially like making these cards ... seem to be perfect for the men in our lives. xx

Bonnie said...

WOW! Not one, but three gorgeous botanical prints, Marcia! I love the soft prints of the maple leaves and the more vibrant! Both are amazing! And the fern is amazing! Love the textured embossing with it. It makes me think of a fern growing against the foundation of an old house! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Lisa Elton said...

The soft prints you achieved are marvelous, Marcia! You've turned each one into a lovely card!

I Card Everyone said...

Wait! Why didn't I get to see these first hand, up close and personal like?? They are GORGEOUS Marcia! I love the muted ones so much I sat trying to figure out why YOUR pressing actually brought the colors - silly me! Trusty distress inks work so beautifully to give that natural color!
Each and every press, and card is extraordinary! [and I love that SU ef! Add that to my list!]
=]

JoAnn said...

Three lovely cards Marcia. You were a busy lady but it was worth it. I love the muted ones best also. TFS

Bobby said...

These are all so wonderful, Marcia. I never thought to put ink on my leaves before sending through the Big Shot. I just pressed mine down by hand.

Darnell said...

These are all sensational results, Marcia! Such a great idea to ink the leaves before running them through! I agree about the textured fern being a favorite. It looks like a fossil embedded in a stucco wall, which is really cool! Hugs, Darnell

Leslie Miller said...

Three beautiful cards that just speak to my nature loving soul, Marcia! There's so much to love -- the delicate colors of your first card, the worn texture look of your fern card, and the bright fall colors with embossed border of your third. A favorite would be very hard to choose, but I might be partial to the first. I'm so glad you shared all your results. Thanks for playing around with Bonnie's challenge at CAS Mix Up!

Linda said...

WOW! You have been busy! Great prints turned into beautiful cards, it's impossible to choose a favourite! Thanks for sharing at CAS Mix Up!

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Three Gorgeous finished Botanical Prints cards, Marcia. I Loved all 6 of your print leaves backgrounds:-) So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up with all 3 finished beauties. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Helen F. said...

Beautiful set of cards, Marcia! Love this fun technique!