Wednesday, November 11, 2020

OFF THE EDGE WITH A SENTIMENT

Hello friends.  I'm playing along with two different challenges today...the CAS Mix Up Challenge where they are looking for a water colored image that is "OFF THE EDGE", and also The Flower Challenge where they would like us to include a "SENTIMENT" along with a flower on our card.  

I have two cards to share with you today because my first card was an "oops" card.  Yep, finished up the first card and then realized that the CAS Mix Up Challenge is supposed to be water colored, and I just stamped the image...well darn!!  Back to the drawing board!!  I really liked the first card I made, so I re-did it using a faux water color technique where after inking the stamp, you spritz it with water to give the look of water coloring.



So here is my 2nd card using the same Poinsettia stamp from Stamplorations (Layered Poinsettia's) where I inked up my stamp with Real Red ink and then spritzed with water, and then inked up just the edges of the stamp with Cherry Cobbler ink and then spritzed again.  Once it was dry I added the black outline stamp and then stamped again with Versamark and heat embossed with clear.


 In this close up you can see how beautifully the lighter and darker inks blended together with the water, and how pretty the yellow prills that were gifted to me by my sweet friend Bonnie look in the center of my flower.  I love the look of the flower being off the edge and do this quite frequently with larger flower images.  The sentiment is from Penny Black's Yuletide Wishes.


Here is the first card I made where I just stamped the Poinsettia image and didn't use any water.  I used the same color inks (Real Red and Cherry Cobbler) but with out the addition of the water, the color is much deeper.  I also stamped the center of the flower instead of using the prills, because, well, I forgot I had them until I started working on the 2nd card!  The sentiment on this first is also from Penny Black but from the Rejoice with Joy stamp set.


Here are both cards together where it's easy to see the lighter (left) water colored version next to the darker stamped version.  They're both pretty and I can't pick a favorite...can you??



You can check out all the beautiful "OFF THE EDGE" inspiration from the CAS Mix Up DT right HERE (challenge is open till the 24th) and all the floral inspiration (with a sentiment) from the DT at The Flower Challenge right HERE (challenge is open till the 26th). 

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



18 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Both cards look so striking Marcia and I love the sentiments and that contemporary poinsettia stamp x.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous poinsettia, Marcia - just love it off edge with those beautiful sentiments!! Wow to the addition of the prills - so realistic!!

Happy Dance said...

They're both beautiful cards, Marcia. The poinsettia looks amazing both ways if you ask me, so I'm not going to choose between them! Your cards are always a delight, and even if your first card was an "oops" card, it still turned out beautifully. Love them! Stay safe my friend. xo Bev

Cat Craig said...

Marcia those are such gorgeous cards, the 3D effect of the prills adds just another level of fabulous!

Viv said...

Lovely artsy cards Marcia, impossible to choose between them. The sentiments are perfect too. Gorgeous Christmas cards!

Lisa Elton said...

Fabulous CAS card Marcia, love the sentiments!

Bonnie said...

There's a very subtle difference between the stamped and spritzed poinsettia. Both are beautiful! Love those larger sentiments that make such a big impact!

Loll said...

Both poinsettias are beautiful Marcia. But I do like the prills with the watercoloured version. They are so pretty and add so much. The large sentiments are so beautiful on both cards. Thanks for joining us at The Flower Challenge! xx

Birgit said...

Well these are both simply stunning! I love the brilliantly colored, artsy poinsettia and both of those scripty sentiments are beautiful. Gorgeous my friend!

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, they are both really beautiful! But I'm thrilled by the addition of prills! So cool! There couldn't be two more beautiful sentiments, my friend!
=]

Kara Lynne said...

Lovely layered poinsettias and I couldn't choose a favorite, but I do love seeing the prills - I've never used those and they are perfect for poinsettias! I also love your large sentiments that balance perfectly with the flower!

Jo said...

Both are beautiful Marcia, I have a preference for the one with prills LOL! Love the simplicity of this card. Thank you so much for joining us at CAS Mix Up!

nancy littrell said...

Both poinsettias are equally beautiful..just lighter and darker versions. Love both your beautiful sentiments also. TFS my friend. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix UP. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Anita in France said...

Nope I can't choose a favourite either, Marcia ... they're both gorgeous, dramatic and striking ... and so deliciously CAS ... yum! Hugs, Anita :)

Ros Crawford said...

They are stunning Marcia... I love the sentiments you used too!

TaeEun said...

I love both versions of your cards, Marcia! They are gorgeous! Beautiful CAS design and I love the sentiments by Penny Black! Thank you so much for playing along at The Flower Challenge!

Linda said...

Two gorgeous cards ..... love the poinsettia! xx

Bobby said...

That simple poinsettia works well with the wonderful sentiments, Marcia. The Prills are a great accent. Thanks for sharing your card with us at The Flower Challenge.