Friday, February 11, 2022

The Flower Challenge #65 & The Great Cover-Up

Hello friends.  Playing along with a couple challenges today...The Flower Challenge that is looking for Occasions cards, and The Great Cover-Up challenge that is looking for a card with a BLACK background.


I've been having a field day playing with a new Papertrey Ink die set called Into The Blooms: Roses and came up with this birthday card that fits both of the challenges...


I made all my roses first, starting with white cardstock, and then water coloring them.  There are 4 layers to each rose, and I learned a few tips from Kelly Lunceford about how to make them really realistic looking, and now I just can't seem to stop making them!  Once my roses and leaves (the leaf fronds at the top are not from the rose set, but from the Into The Blooms: Dahlia die set) were all dry and glued together, I added them to a black background using PTI's Border Bling: Joy Frame die.  I used a plain black layer on my white card base, and then added the die cut black frame with foam tape for a bit of dimension.


Once my roses and leaves were added to the black frame, I finished by adding my birthday die cut and gold embossed banner (both Gina K) and a few gold pearls (PFS).  This was a bit of a time consuming card compared to my usual CAS style, but I really like the dramatic look of the colors against the black background!  

You can check out both challenges HERE and HERE to play along.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



10 comments:

Birgit said...

Oh, my friend, this is absolutely stunning! The roses turned out beautifully and they really pop off the black background. Why do I always leave here feeling like I want to go shopping???

TK said...

Wow! Impressive, Marcia! Love the layers and your flowers are just fantastic -- if you got some tricks, they sure worked!

Cat Craig said...

Gorgeous coloring, and I love the dramatic black.

Lisa Elton said...

Your pretty roses pop right off the black! Whatever trick you learned, you're an A+ student, they look realistic!

Mac Mable said...

The dramatic black background really shows off those fabulous roses beautifully Marcia x. The roses look 3D and are absolutely stunning and so is this amazing card x.

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, I've said it once and it bears repeating: I LOVE the drama, mama!! Gorgeous layered roses so beautifully water colored! Kelly taught you well how to get the most realistic effect to those! The fabulous background and fern-like leaves are such a wonderful place for these beauties to be planted, my friend!
Thanks so much for sharing them with us at The Flower Challenge!
=]

Bonnie said...

These roses are so pretty, Marcia! I love the depth of color in those layers! You go to the head of the class with this one!

Ros Crawford said...

This is stunning!! Your painted roses are incredible Marcia... I scrolled back to see what I missed and I love your creations, especially that valentines card. Have a beautiful day... sorry I haven't been around.

Bobby said...

I love the drama too, Marcia, and your roses are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your card with us at The Flower Challenge. Now I'm off to see Kelly's painting lesson.

Ericka Strange said...

Beautiful card and I love the die cuts along with the shimmer. So pretty on black. Thanks for playing along with us at The Flower Challenge.