Monday, February 21, 2022

CAS Mix Up Feb. 2022 - Faux Cloisonne

Hello friends.  Playing along with the CAS Mix Up Challenge where this month they are looking for CAS cards using the Faux Cloisonne technique.


Susan is hosting this challenge and she gave the idea of using photos from a glossy magazine as the background before you emboss, and this idea intrigued me, so looking through my magazines I went!!  I found a few photos I thought would work and the one I ended up liking the best was using a photo of knitting needles from a Knitpics catalog.  Here's what I came up with:


I used a shell stamp from Gina K's By The Sea 2 and inked up the stamp with versamark onto the glossy print and then added my gold embossing powder and heated it up.  You'd never know that the background was knitting needles, would you?!!  Because the glossy paper in magazines is rather flimsy, I adhered the shell to a piece of card stock and then fussy cut the image out.  


 The rest of my card was rather simple to put together.  I stenciled a background piece using PTI's Sun & Surf  Stencil Collection using turquoise and green inks (Gina K), and then layered a panel that I die cut with MFT's Peek-a-Boo Rectangle Die over the stenciling.  My sentiment was embossed in the same gold as the shell and also comes from the By The Sea 2 stamp set.  The shell and the sentiment strip were both pop dotted for some dimension.  Easy peasy and I'm really happy with the way it turned out!  And I will definitely be looking at magazines differently now...thanks Susan!!

This challenge is only open till the 24th, but well worth checking out if you're looking for something new and fun to try out!  Susan and the DT have some amazing examples to share with you HERE to get you inspired to play along.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


16 comments:

Birgit said...

This is gorgeous, Marcia! I never would have known that was an image of knitting needles. It makes the perfect pearlescent shell design, with the gold, it's fabulous! I'll be looking at my magazines differently now. Thanks for always inspiring me with your new techniques.

Mac Mable said...

No you would never think it was knitting needles behind that fabulous shell Marcia. The pretty stencilling complements the shell wonderfully and makes one beautiful card, with a fun technique Marcia x.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous shell, Marcia! It looks amazing with the stenciling in the window behind it!!

Cat Craig said...

The amazing thing about this technique aside from the lovely images…but how it disguises the original.

Jeanne H said...

What beautiful colors with the golden shell. Lovely card.

Susan said...

That is an amazing transformation of an image from a knitting catalogue!! Beautiful card with the shell set against the window framing the lovely stencilling.

I Card Everyone said...

Go YOU! Marcia, this is so fabulous - you knitted together the most fun for this challenge! It is gorgeous!
=]

Lisa Elton said...

Knitting needles??!! You've created the prettiest shell and I love the watery movement from the stenciling. Marvelous card, Marcia!

Bonnie said...

I am in awe, Marcia! The knitting needles have a glow to them that works perfectly for this technique and the shell stamp is perfect for showing it off! Love the stenciling and frame! A GORGEOUS card, my friend! Thanks for joining our challenge at CAS Mix Up!

TK said...

Stunning! Wow, the colors, the fantastic shell on the needles (nope I never would've guessed), just the whole card is stunning, Marcia!

Loll said...

Beautiful card Marcia! LOVE that gorgeous seashell! It's amazing. xx

nancy littrell said...

Stunning Faux Cloisonne stamped and gold heat embossed and fussy cut shell, Marcia. Such a beautiful framed background for your shell and heat embossed sentiment. Your knitting needle photo could not look prettier:-) TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Susan Joyce said...

Such a fantastic Faux Cloisonné shell Marcia, the knitting needles photo was the perfect texture for the shell. Thanks for joining us this month at CAS Mix Up!

Bobby said...

I want to try this technique so bad but I didn't bring any embossing powders with me. I will definitely give it a go when I get back home. Your choice of paper and image worked perfectly together, Marcia, and it's gorgeous.

Robyn Oliver said...

Marcia, your card is just beautiful.. so CAS and the lovely FC shell is amazing, Robyn

Linda said...

You've found the perfect piece of paper to stamp your shell, it worked beautifully. Thank you for sharing at CAS Mix Up!