Monday, June 10, 2024

Bokeh, Bokeh, Bokeh

Hello friends.  The Group of Seven Cardmakers is using the Bokeh technique this month, and although it's a technique I have done before, it's been awhile and I decided to have a play with it.  The current Peace On Earth Challenge also fit nicely with this technique, where I was inspired by the snowflakes and hues of blue.  I have 2 cards to share with you, since the piece I made was big enough (6x6) to get 2 pieces from.  Here's the first one...


   I started by stamping Hero Arts Hand Drawn Snowflakes Bold Prints background stamp with Versamark ink and white embossing powder, and then blending blue and purple inks over it.  Next I used a Color Box Rounded stencil (it has all different size circles on it) and ink blended again in the blue and purple inks.  Then to achieve the Bokeh look, I used Hero Arts White Unicorn pigment ink with the same stencil...I almost didn't want to cut into this panel as it was so pretty!


There really is more purple on this card than shows in my photos...for some reason it just didn't pick it up very well!  I made a smaller than A2 size card (3 3/4 x 5 1/2) so that I could have enough of the print for my 2nd card.  I cut my piece on an angle, and then added a small strip of silver cardstock, before adding my die cut sentiment (MB - Special Merry Christmas).  I also added a small Impression Obsession snowflake that I die cut in the silver cardstock and placed a small purple gem (PFS) in the center of it for a little bling.  


I made my 2nd card the same size as the 1st card, and embossed the front of the card base with an older Darice snowflake ef.  I used SSS's Holiday Frames and Night of Navy cardstock for the frame and added my small leftover piece of Bokeh to the back of the frame.


I finished once again with a snowflake die cut from the same Impression Obsession set from silver cardstock with another purple gemstone in the center.  Really both very simple cards once the Bokeh background was completed.




And here are both cards together...


If you'd like to play along with the Peace On Earth Challenge, you can check it out right HERE...this challenge is open till Thursday, June 13th @ 8:00PM.  If you've never done the Bokeh technique, check it out HERE...lots of helpful tips and a video from all the gals on the GO7 team.  It's a very easy technique and really makes a WOW impact!  

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


14 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

This is the prettiest snowstorm I've ever seen, Marcia! I love that you did the circles in colors before adding them in bokeh white - glad you didn't waste any of this wonderful playtime!
=]

Birgit said...

I'll take this kind of snow any day, over the real stuff. Both cards are beautiful Marcia! What a pretty bokeh panel and how wonderful that you were able to get two cards for the price of one. So very pretty!!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

These cards are both so gorgeous and special, Marcia. You certainly nailed the bokeh technique here, and your card designs using these wonderful snowy panels are just lovely and showcase your work beautifully.

TK said...

I adore bokeh and the colors you've used -- they do play so well with the snowflakes. This is very pretty, Marcia! Such a great look, and definitely a great technique to re-visit

Bonnie said...

You used my favorite snowflake stamp and layout, Marcia! Love the beautiful blue background with the bokeh and how crisp the snowflakes look on it! Two gorgeous cards for the Christmas stash, my friend!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Both so gorgeous, Marcia! Those snowflakes are perfect atop your bokeh!!

Loll said...

WOW! STUNNING cards Marcia! LOVE that you got two from your panel ... and they are both gorgeous! I LOVE the colours you've used and the bokeh really shows off those beautiful snowflakes. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Group of Seven! Love, Loll

Leslie Miller said...

Soooo gorgeous x 2! Oh, my goodness! The snowflakes are so fine and delicate, and the ink blending and bokeh are incredible! You're so good about doing the POE challenge. Why don't I do that? I need to focus more. You are an inspiration, Marcia!

Bobby said...

The smattering of snowflakes, the ink blending and all the various circles meld together into one, I mean two wonderful cards, Marcia.

Christine Alexander said...

so pretty with the white snowflakes, I love how you used the bokeh technqiue and thanks for trying it out with us at GOS ♥

Vickie Y said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us at POE Christmas Challenge.

Darnell said...

You bring new meaning to the words "really makes a WOW impact," Marcia! These are literally brilliant! I love the bold blues and purples with the snowflakes and your Bokeh circles are fantastic! Thank you for playing with us! Hugs, Darnell

Julia Aston said...

First I have to say what wonderful crisp snowflakes these are Marcia - SO beautiful against the purple/blue background - and the pretty Bokeh circles just give more to the illusion of the snowfall Two lovely Christmas designs using these panels. Thanks for sharing with us at GO7! Julia xx

Karen said...

I've been away a good part of the month, so I'm just now getting around to seeing some of the blog posts I missed. These holiday cards are fabulous! Your bokeh is one of the loveliest I've seen and both card designs are wonderful. I love how the bokeh shows through the die cut sentiment on the second card!