Friday, June 21, 2024

Double D - Reach for the STARS

Hello friends.  Are you all surviving this heat wave??!  I'm trying not to complain (too much!) because we have a new A/C unit and most of all because it's not snow!!  This kind of hot weather is great for staying inside and making cards though, and the Double D Challenge has a fun one right now called Reach for the STARS.


I was inspired by the top left photo and used PTI's Night Sky Coverplate (that my sweet friend Cat die cut for me!) to come up with this card...


I used one of the stencils from The Greetery's Rolling Hills set to create my red & white striped background (Betsy from The Greetery got me hooked on this idea!!) and then placed the navy blue Night Sky Coverplate die cut over it.  Next I stamped and colored with Copics the little Anita Jeram mouse from CCC eating an ice cream cone...can you see his little pink tongue going after that Blue Moon ice cream?? (That was my little brother's favorite ice cream flavor when we were growing up...I wonder if he still likes it??!!)  


 I placed a small white crimped circle die cut (The Greetery) on top of the red & white stripes so my little mouse would stand out more, and also placed some foam strips behind the mouse for some added dimension.  It still looked a little plain to me, so I added a few stars from The Greetery's Rustic Star Small dies with Real Red and silver mirror cardstock, and then finished with a couple silver gems and a misting of Sheer Shimmer Sparkle Mist.  I left the sentiment off because there just didn't seem to be a good spot for one with this layout, but I'm thinking I'll send it to my 3 grands who live a couple hours north of us along with some $$ for their parents to treat them to some ice cream this Summer.  

The DT has lots of inspiration to inspire you to play along with them, and you can find it all right HERE.  This challenge is open till Sunday, June 30th @ 8:00PM.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


12 comments:

Birgit said...

This is fantastic Marcia! I love how you brought all those elements together so perfectly to make the patriotic, starry card. The Night Sky Coverplate is awesome. I can see why you wanted a few to create with. Looks like that little mouse is enjoying his Blue Moon ice cream very much!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous design, Marcia! Just love the red/white stencil piece atop the starry sky & the ice cream eating mouse is darling!! I remember Blue Moon ice cream as a kid - yum!

I Card Everyone said...

I like ice cream so much - when it's hot or in the middle of Winter, Marcia! So, I would be happy to join your cute little mouse - make mine buttered pecan, please - OH, and a waffle cone is a must! lol
Just amazing, Marcia - I think I just saw a meteor!
=]

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

This is just wonderful, Marcia. I just love your fabulous background and that darling little mouse licking that cone. We went to Norms on my visit - holy smoke, that place is amazing. Such a great card for this time of year and a celebration of independence and ice cream! Love it.

Bonnie said...

What a perfect card to instigate a trip for ice cream, Marcia! What a great idea to treat those grandkids! Love the card and the idea!

TK said...

Adorable, patriotic and fun! what a precious card, Marcia

Cat Craig said...

Marcia, you have made great use of that coverplate...and reminded me I had it... thanks so much. Love your combination of elements all come together perfectly for a fun perfectly summery card under the stars.

Barbara said...

Wow! Your card really packs a punch! I see the 4th of July here with the colors and the fun things that you can do that day, like eating ice cream. Even if you are a cute mouse. Love it! I am so glad that you join us at Double D Challenge.

Bobby said...

I love those rolling stripes, Marcia, and you added just the right details to them for a fabulous card. It looks very patriotic to me and if the 4th of July was a card mailing holiday it would be perfect. I like your idea of treating the grands with it better though.

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, how I adore this, Marcia! The star studded sky is fantastic draped over the billowing flag hills. Absolutely amazing and so creative. It's a perfect background for this darling mouse with it's big ice cream cone... and the crimped circle that looks like a paper plate. Just the right starry embellishments to balance and enhance the focal image. I'm feeling very summery as I look at this! We're not having the heat on our skinny strip of coast, but I've seen on the weather map how bad it is elsewhere. Got to appreciate that new air conditioner! Marcia, your card is a yummy treat to see in our starry gallery at Double D. Thanks for playing along!

Loll said...

Adorable card Marcia! LOVE the red, white and blue background paired with that adorable critter eating ice cream! What a great July 4th card! xx

Lisa Elton said...

How cute is this! You know, I've never had blue ice-cream!