Monday, January 6, 2020

Christmas Kickstart Challenge #27 - PENGUIN PARADE

Hello friends.  Yes, Christmas is over, but I make Christmas cards all year long so I'm not scrambling come December!  I love that the Christmas Kickstart Challenge is out there to give me inspiration all year long so I keep up with making my cards, even when it's 90 degrees outside!  Today's in the cool 30's though, so a perfect time to make a Christmas card!!  Jo is looking for PENGUINS this time around and I just happen to have a brand new set from SU! called Playful Penguins to play with!


I'm going to apologize in advance for my photography as I'm using clear acetate and black Stazon ink to stamp my penguins, so I'm getting all kinds of glare and reflections on my photos!  My sweet friend Stephanie made a window card that inspired my card, so thank you Steph for such awesome inspiration!!  Here's what I came up with...


I started with a piece of clear acetate cut to 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 and then stamped all 3 penguins that come in the Playful Penguins set using black Stazon ink.  Once I was sure it was dry, I flipped the acetate over and used a Y18 Copic marker to color in their beaks and feet.  Next I stamped the scarf, bow tie, & hat with Real Red ink and then fussy cut and pop dotted to the front side of the penguins.


Here's a close up so you can see the detail a little better.  Next I cut white cardstock for a card base and then cut off the front at a 1/2" from the top fold.  From the leftover white cardstock I cut a 7/8" strip for the bottom of the card.  I covered the top 1/2" and the bottom 7/8" strips with black & white striped DSP and then adhered both to the acetate.  I then added a couple thin strips of Real Red cardstock to the top and a bit wider strip to the bottom so I could stamp my sentiment (from Avery Elle's Brring On The Joy).


This picture isn't the greatest but I thought it would at least give you a better idea how the card actually looks.  You could stamp your sentiment on the very top inside or very bottom inside if they're small enough, but I chose to stamp my "Merry Christmas" on the backside of the card along with another strip of the striped DSP at the bottom...this way there's plenty of room for me to write my Christmas message to whoever I end up sending this card to.  If you have any questions on how to make a card like this, just click on Stephanie's name above and the link will take you to her site where she has a FB live video with measurements and all the how to's!

The Christmas Kickstart Challenge will be open for the rest of the month, so you have plenty of time to play along with this fun one!  And if you're like me, you have PLENTY of PENGUIN stamps, and you can play up to 3 times each month!  Check it all out right HERE and then play along...you'll be glad you did come next December!!

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


13 comments:

Linda said...

Marcia, your penguin card is so adorable. And I love your card below for the Watercolour Challenge. Your smooshed background is beautiful. I guess I need more practice with smooshing again. That is what I was envisioning when I did mine. Happy New Year, my friend.

Patti said...

This is a GREAT! card!! I love the use of acetate on cards - even though it does cause photography challenges. This is just the cutest design!!

I need to put this challenge in my favorites! I am challenging myself to keep up with my Christmas cards this year.

Have a great week!
Patti

I Card Everyone said...

Oh Marcia! These guys are TOO cahUTE!!! I've never seen this stamp set!!! Hope to see again some day! What a fabulous design!
=]

Lisa Elton said...

This is incredible Marcia! This is definitely a playful group and you've used them perfectly. CUTE card!

Bonnie said...

This looks like a winner to me, Marcia! Love these fun penguins that look like they're in party mode! Amazing stamping on the acetate! Awesome card, my friend!

Bobby said...

How unique to make an acetate card for your penguins, Marcia. What a great card! I must be one of the few without any penguin stamps.

Loll said...

So adorable! The three penguins are just perfect on the acetate. xx

Anita in France said...

These penguins are so handome and dapper in their winter woollies, Marcia (assuming the bow tie is keeping the middle guy warm!) ... so cute and fun ... you created a fantastic sense of dimension by using the acetate! Hugs, Anita :)

Karen Dunbrook said...

really fun card...smiling.
x Karen

Ros Crawford said...

Oh wow! Aren't they just fabulous stamps!! This is a terrific card Marcia!

Dotty Jo said...

This is so clever, Marcia! Love how you've used the stamps - looks amazing! Thanks for playing at The Christmas Kickstart, great to have you back again in 2020, Jo x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wow - love the penguins on acetate, Marcia! I tend not to do it because I always smear things, sigh! Your penguins look amazing!!

ionabunny said...

Awesome. Really fun with the acetate and gorgeous penguins. Thanks for joining the fun at The Christmas Kickstart challenge. Hugz