Monday, January 20, 2020

CAS Mix Up Jan. 2020 - Partial Die Cutting

Hello friends.  Hideko has a FUN challenge over at the CAS Mix Up site where she wants us to try PARTIAL DIE CUTTING.  She's provided a whole list of helpful videos right HERE if you're unfamiliar with this technique.



I've done partial die cutting before, but it's been awhile, so I did have to do some thinking before I started!  I had a new stamp and die set (Reverse Confetti's Butterfly Wreath) that I used to come up with this card:


I stamped and heat embossed my wreath first a little off center, and then did my partial die cutting.  I did have to use my trimmer for the top, middle, and bottom vertical cuts, but the die did all the fancy cutting around the edges of the wreath.


I colored with my Copics, and then adhered a piece of fun foam behind the wreath image, and then attached both to a top folding card base that I added a panel of Altenew's Dotted Swirls cover plate to.  The whole background still looked rather plain to me even with the dry embossed background, so I added a thin strip of cardstock that I colored with my Copic (BV02) to match the butterflies on the wreath.  I finished with a heat embossed sentiment (from the Butterfly Wreath set) in white on a black banner, and attached along with a clear gem.  I have a bridal shower for my niece in a few weeks that this will be perfect for.

This challenge is open till the 24th, so check it all out right HERE and then play along.


Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


19 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Oh Marcia this is beautiful!! I love the effect and the wreath is so beautifully coloured... I would never have come up with that idea... Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing at CAS Mix up!

Birgit said...

Wow Marcia, this is stunning! It's been a long time since I've done partial die cutting too. Your card is inspiring and beautiful!

Susan Joyce said...

Wonderful Butterfly Wreath image Martha, stunning design!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous wreath card with the partial diecutting, Marcia! Just love the embossed panel under the right half too!

Mac Mable said...

Marcia this is absolutely beautiful. Pretty wreath image and beautifully coloured and the partial die cutting looks fabulous x.

Loll said...

Fantastic layout and design Marcia! Love the beautiful butterfly wreath ... gorgeous colours of spring! And the embossed smaller panel adds a special touch. Beautiful card, my friend! xx

Kara Lynne said...

What a wonderful image for partial die cutting, Marcia! Your colors are gorgeous and I love your dry embossed background! Such a pretty pretty card!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card. Love the butterfly wreath and the way you have used it. The embossed background really shows off the partial die cut wreath. TFS

I Card Everyone said...

I love that you've been doing a little shopping, Marcia! Just a gorgeous design, and really lovely coloring on that RC wreath!
=]

Cat Craig said...

Fabulously put together, each of your little touches add up to a fabulous whole. Love the embossing, the fold, the bit of lavendar repeating from your wreath and the center sentiment. Lovely card.

Bonnie said...

Wow! Love this pretty partial die cut wreath, Marcia! What a great layout with the swirls over part of the card and I love that narrow lavender strip that brings it all together! An Awesome card, my friend!

Lisa Elton said...

This is pretty Marcia, love the colors of the wreath!

Christine Alexander said...

amazing partial die cut Marcia, such a pretty wreath:)

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous colored butterfly wreath, Marcia. I love how you added the narrow strip of paper, perfect sentiment on black cs and die cut swirls. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

Papercraft Boutique said...

This is gorgeous and perfect for a bridal shower, Marcia! Your partially die-cut butterfly wreath looks amazing!
I LOVE this fabulous design, especially that you added the elegant Dotted Swirls texture to the white card base and the lavender strip to the center in matching color.
I’m so happy to see your card in the CAS Mix Up gallery. Thank you!
Hideko

Jo said...

I love the softness of this card. Love the colours, layers and texture to your beautiful.
Thanks for sharing at CAS Mix Up!

Bobby said...

This is lovely, Marcia. I love that you embossed only half the card. It makes it stand out more.

Karen Dunbrook said...

so pretty, I agree with Bobby, love the eb.
xx Karen

Anita in France said...

So soft and pretty, Marcia ... love how the embossed panel creates a sense of movement for those lovely butterflies! Hugs, Anita :)