Sunday, September 20, 2020

CAS Mix Up Sept. 2020 - Embossing With Dies

Hello friends.  Getting in under the wire with the CAS Mix Up Challenge this month, but I do have a couple cards to share with you.



The first card I'm going to share is actually my 2nd card, as I messed up with my 1st one...don't you hate it when that happens?!!  I salvaged it though and it was just too pretty not to show it to you...just doesn't really fit the challenge now!  But anyway, on to my 2nd card first...


  I used SSS's Holly & Pine Frame Die with my rubber mat to emboss the frame onto my white card panel.  I purposely embossed it off center to add a little interest since I knew this was going to be a very CAS card.  My sentiment was stamped in red using PTI's Christmas Blessings stamp set, and because I was using my MISTI, I was able to stamp over it again in Versamark and heat set it with clear embossing powder.  I matted this layer to a piece of Real Red cs and then adhered to a white card base.  Very simple, but I  didn't want to detract from the embossing as it's soooo pretty and busy enough all on it's own!

Now for my first card that I goofed on...


I wish I could tell you made this die, but I don't have the packaging and I thought for sure it was Pinkfresh Studios, but can't find it in their products.  I've checked Memory Box, Poppystamps, & SSS, but with no luck!  If anyone knows, PLEASE let me know...thanks!  But anyway, I started by using the die and my rubber mat to emboss the image on a piece of white cardstock (so far, so good!) and then used some Fine Tec Iridescent Watercolors to paint the inside of the leaves.  Then I tried to paint the berries...simple, right??  My red circles looked like blobs and I was disgusted!  This is where I stopped and went on to my 2nd card that I showed you first.  After looking at my mess for awhile, I decided to actually die cut the image rather than dry embossing again, and then pressed it into an Old Olive ink pad.  I carefully glued this over the embossed panel with the pretty inner painted leaves and yucky red blobs.  I used the die to die cut again from red glitter cardstock and cut off the red berries and glued them over over the blobs, and voila...it actually looked pretty!  Here's a close up where you can still see a bit of the dry embossing underneath...


I finished it off by using a Lil Inkers stitched rectangle die, added some gold twine (SU!) and a Tiny Tag (PTI), and attached to a white card base.  Are you still with me??  I know...loooong story for such a small card!  But anyway, I liked how it turned out in the end, and even though it doesn't really show any dry embossing which this challenge is all about, it was just too pretty not to show you!

There are lots of videos showing how to emboss with dies and lots of BEAUTIFUL cards from the DT on their site right HERE, so check it out and play along if you have time...this challenge is open till the 24th.
  

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



17 comments:

Birgit said...

Two fabulous and beautiful cards here Marcia! I have to say that was a great save on your second card. Well done! I think if it were me, it would have ended up in the circular file. Your perseverance paid off. It's truly gorgeous!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Two beauties, Marcia - just love the embossed snowflake and great save on your berry sprig! A "make it work" moment - thanks for sharing!!

Anita in France said...

Wow, the embossed snowflake is gorgeous, Marcia ... what a brilliant CAS design ... I'd love to CASE it (and have pinned it!). Pretty certain you're right about the die on your beautifully rescued card (it's gorgeous with those sparkly berries!) ... Botanical Branch from PFS ... p'raps it's retired. Hugs, Anita :)

Viv said...

Fab snowflake Marcia - fab cas card!

Cat Craig said...

That snowflake is fabulous so pretty. You got a great impression. So glad you didn’t give up on your first card it is lovely!

Bonnie said...

Love, love, love that embossed wreath, Marcia! The red sentiment and narrow mat add just the right pop of color! Gorgeous! Great save on your first/second card! It turned out really special! Sometimes those pesky ones are our most memorable and beautiful!

Lisa Elton said...

Oh, I love how elegant your embossed snowflake card is! Great save on the pretty little branch card too. No clue who made the die, but I like the way you've used it!

Loll said...

Two beauties, Marcia! I LOVE that gorgeous dry embossed wreath. It's beautiful ... and large. Works perfectly off the edge to keep the design CAS. Great work my friend! I LOVE the small pops of red on white ... so fresh!

I LOVE your second card. I can see the dry embossing in the close-up photo. What a great save Marcia. You turned your red blobby mess (your words) into a gorgeous Christmas card. The die-cut over top looks fabulous. Love that dark green against the iridescent green watercoloured leaves - wow! And the red glittery berries are so pretty! xx

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, you got a beautiful impression from this great big beautiful snowflake!! WOW, is that pretty!
Your first/second card? a fabulous save by adding the die cut pieces back in with color - and that pretty glittery red! BTW since you didn't have 'packaging' I'm wondering if it was a Gina Marie die? It's a keeper no matter whose it is!
=]

JoAnn said...

Two beautiful cards. I can see the dry embossing on your first card and the final product is so pretty. Glad you were able to save it. I love the embossing and that red sentiment on your second card. TFS

Linda said...

Two stunning cards. I love the embossed snowflake, beautifully CAS! xx

nancy littrell said...

Oh my, Two Gorgeous cards, Marcia. TFS your saved 1st card that is now your 2nd card:-) Beautiful Christmas design. I Love your simply beautiful 2nd Christmas Wreath die embossed card design that is posted 1st and that you are sharing with us at CAS Mix Up:-) Love both your cards, my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Bobby said...

That wreath is gorgeous embossed into the card, Marcia. Simple but eye-catching. I love to hear about people's saves and you did a great job with this one. It's not for the challenge but you have one more Christmas card done.

Karen Dunbrook said...

how wonderful...well done mf.
xx Karen

Jo said...

Fabulous cards Marcia. I love the clean allure of the die embossing on the first with the red frame and sentiment. The second is special too, glad you made it work because it's stunning. So happy you joined us at CAS Mix Up! xx

My Paper Epiphany said...

Stunning cards! Tbe embossing with pop of colour is amazing! Brilliant save and card! Btw it is definitely Pink Fresh Botanical Branch:)

Ros Crawford said...

Fabulous cards... The embossed wreath is beautiful! As for the second card... I have that die it's from Aliexpress! I absolutely adore how you coloured it here Marcia