Sunday, May 29, 2022

The Great Cover-Up

Hello friends.  Playing along with Papertrey Ink's The Great Cover-Up Challenge where they are looking for PATRIOTIC cards.  Very fitting on this day that we honor those who have passed on before us, and especially those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedoms.  


I think we all turn to RED, WHITE & BLUE when we hear the word patriotic, so I pulled out some Pure Poppy and Dark Indigo Pattern Pack DSP, and then started going through my PTI stash to see what I had that would work.  I sure have an awful lot of florals, but not much that would work for a patriotic card (probably because I don't tend to send out Memorial Day or 4th of July cards!).  After a deep search I ran across the QUILTED series and started thinking what's more American than a good old-fashioned quilt?!!  And that's how my quick and easy 4 x 4 card came together.  Take a look...


I used the QUILTED: SUMMER die to cut out all the pieces from the polka dotted, striped, & plaid papers, and then inlaid them back into the white frame that was mounted to a piece of Pure Poppy cardstock.  


Because this pattern looks like a pinwheel to me, I cut a 1" square from the polka dotted dsp, and cut from each corner to the center of the square and then folded over to create a mini pinwheel to adhere to the center of the card...a red enamel dot glued to the center finished off this simple little card!

I do have a TWOFER for you today, because when looking through my stash, I found another set I hadn't used in a loooooooong time, and it fit the RED, WHITE, & BLUE theme.  Not necessarily PATRIOTIC though, unless maybe you're thinking the boat could be part of the US Navy!  Probably not!!  But it still turned out cute and will work great for a masculine birthday card which I never seem to have enough of!!  Take a look...


 Pretty simple, but kinda cute, right?!  I used PTI's What The Doodle: Waves stamp set, along with the largest of the Pierced Feature Frame Dies.  I did die cut 3 boats and 3 waves to stack for dimension, and they pop quite nicely on the card.  The background is a NBUS Pinpoint Burst Plate die from Memory Box, that I've had for ages and ages, and finally remembered to use!!  (Aren't you proud of me for finally remembering to use it Darnell??!!)  I'll be sending this card over to the NBUS Challenge #38.



There is still a couple days to play along with The Great Cover Up Challenge, so check it out and play along for a chance at a $25 gift certificate.  
 

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


10 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

I see that pinpoint cover plate and can't believe it is only getting used for the first time! It's a fabulous backdrop for this ocean voyage!
You are so right about that quilt representing Americana, Marcia - but the pinwheel finish is so fun and so YOU! Darling cards, my friend!
=]

Bobby said...

I have the quilt die but not those fabulous red, white and blue papers, Marcia. You could have been a quilter in another life. ;) Adding the pinwheel was a fun touch. The other card is so cute with its doodley images and bright red frame. Fantastic job!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous quilt card and I love the boat on the waves, Marcia! So glad you shared at NBUS!! Linda, May Guest Designer

Jeanne H said...

All I can think of is WOW. Great cards and design ideas. TFS

Bonnie said...

Love, love, love this quilt with the sweet little pinwheel in the center! What a great mix of papers for this patriotic card! Love the waves and little sailboat too! Fantastic twofers, my friend!

Darnell said...

So, so proud, Marcia! Your work is always so impeccably made; there isn't a die-cut hair out of place on that brilliant and colorful quilt card and that polka-dotted pinwheel center? Please! It really elevates the fun level! And speaking of fun, your nautical card is so fun and cute with the sweet sailboat bopping along on the stylized waves! They go so well with the pinpoint burst background and the red frame and red, white, and blue twine finish it perfectly. Thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Cat Craig said...

Wonderfully fabulous cards, Marcia. the pinwheel is just the perfect bit of extra on your quilted card. Takes it one step beyond on the fabulous scale. Loving your second card too. That pinpoint backdrop is so wonderful for your nautical themed card - love everything about it.

Carmela said...

Beautiful cards, Marcia! Love the pinwheel in the center.

Lisa Elton said...

Your quilt and the delightful pinwheel are a marvelous way to remember those who served for our freedom. They ooze America. LOVE this card, Marcia. And that little boat is too cute, what a fun card!

Birgit said...

Two perfectly charming and patriotic cards here, Marcia!! I adore the patterns you used on the quilted card and the pinwheel in the center is such a fun accent. The sailboat floating along the whimsical waves is pure delight, especially with that pinpoint background, which is fabulous!!!!