Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Spellbinder's BETTERPRESS LETTERPRESS

Hello friends.  So how many of you have fallen in love with the Betterpress Letterpress system from Spellbinders??!!  I have to admit I was pretty curious about it right from the get-go, but told myself I had to step back and really think about it before spending that kind of money on something I wasn't totally sure if I'd use enough.  I kept seeing everyone's videos and posts though, and became more and more intrigued...and then of course the bundle was out of stock. I told myself that wasn't a bad thing though as it gave me more time to really decide if I NEEDED it or just WANTED it.  And of course as soon as the email came saying it was back in stock, I caved, and added it to the cart!  I am SO weak!!  But I have to tell you I am having so much FUN with it and have my first attempts to share with you today.  I have to tell you upfront though that trying to photograph Letterpress is a lot like trying to photograph hot foiling and WOS...the camera just doesn't pick up the debossed look.  You almost have to have the card in your hand where you can actually run your fingertips over it to feel the indentations.  I have 6 cards to share, so let's get started!


This card was my very first try, and rather than the black ink that I used on the rest of the cards, I was trying for a more vintage look and used the Tawny Brown ink on the cream colored cotton cardstock that came with the system.  Just a very simple card that I used a hot foil plate for the sentiment (Spellbinder's Essential Glimmer Sentiments) and The Greetery's Postal Frame Die.  


This card uses the same Betterpress Plate as the first card, but I only used part of it in the top right hand corner and the bottom left hand corner, and the sentiment is the same as the first card too.  I used my Copics to color the flowers and leaves and then used one of my favorite Spellbinder's dies (Hemstitched Rectangles) over the top before attaching it to a card base.  Again, very simple but that etched look you get from the Betterpress really takes it up another level!


Once again, another very simple card where I used the same Betterpress plate and then ink blended with some pink ink that was left on my blending brush through just half of the card.  The Happy Birthday is also from the Essential Glimmer Sentiments and gives the most beautiful etched look when you run it through the Betterpress Letterpress!


OK, last card with this particular Betterpress plate, but hey, I really, REALLY like it!!  This one was done on a soft gray cardstock that comes with the system, and was once again colored with my Copics.  The Greetery's Nordic Frame Dies were used around the edge of this card and the same birthday sentiment as before.


This card uses the Butterfly Garden plate and I did a simple rainbow ink blending over it before attaching the separate sentiment panel with foam tape behind it for dimension.  I used a couple Copics on the butterfly and also some WOS, and it sparkles really beautifully in the light!  


For my last card I used a hot foil plate (Spellbinder's Holiday Florals Background) with the Betterpress system, and while it does give the etched look, I wasn't as impressed with the results as when you use an actual Betterpress plate.  I think it's the lack of detail that isn't a part of the hot foil plates, but after once again using my Copics to color in the leaves and Poinsettia's, it didn't look too bad.  And the hot foil sentiment came out beautifully!

So there you have my first attempts at using the Betterpress Letterpress system, and I can't wait to try other plates and designs...this could become very addicting!!  Thanks so much for sticking with me through this looooooong post, and hope that if you caved like I did, that you'll share your cards too!


Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


11 comments:

Karen said...

That's a fabulous array of cards, Marcia. They are all so lovely! Each card is quite different and showcases the versatility of the Betterpress system. If I had to pick a favorite it would be those beautifully colored blue florals on the second card.

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous cards Marcia. You did wonderful with this new system. Each card is great and I'm with Karen on the 2nd one with the blue flowers, it is my favorite. Thanks for sharing these beauties.

Cat Craig said...

Your cards are gorgeous, Marcia. I was well worth the investment.

Tracey McNeely said...

All gorgeous card Marcia, I'm always in awe of your designs my friend. So much talent! I think it's time for me to invest in the Betterpress Letterpress and join the band wagon!

Leslie Miller said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your use of the Betterpress Letterpress! In just this one post you've already created more cards with it than I would in a year. I love the way you play, Marcia! Such a variety and all so beautiful! In your case I'd say it's money well spent. I understand about the photos and how something like this really needs to be touched and seen in real life, but your explanation and enthusiasm makes it easy for me to imagine.

Bonnie said...

Beautiful results and an awesome collection of cards with your new toy, Marcia! I haven't folded yet, but you are tempting me! I look forward to seeing even more.

Lisa Elton said...

I haven't taken the plunge yet... but you're making it very tempting, Marcia! These are all so pretty and I like the variety. Your second card is my favorite. Love that you used it in the corners and colored it so beautifully!

I Card Everyone said...

I'm up a little earlier than normal, Marcia, to sneak in my office and catch up a bit!
I wish I could have been your FIRST comment, so I could tell all of your friends how magnificent your cards are in real life! Stunning! so beautifully finished, and colored!
Thanks for sharing your plates with me yesterday - can't wait to gather again!
=]

Birgit said...

Goodness gracious, these are all amazing! I wanted to say that my favorite was the first one with the vintage feel, but each one is so unique in the different ways you've used the Betterpress system. Your ink blending and coloring on each of these are just stunning!! Looks like your choice to buy this was the right choice! I can't wait to see more of your creations using it.

Bobby said...

You were really on a roll with that Letterpress, Marcia. All your cards are fantastic and they look good with or without your wonderful Copic coloring. I wasn't going to jump on the Glimmer wagon but I did and I love it but I can't say the same for the Letterpress. I'll just enjoy seeing all the cards of those who did get it.

TK said...

Nice! You've had a lot of success already with your fun new toy, can't wait to keep seeing your beautiful cards