Monday, January 1, 2024

Color Hues #78 - LIGHT BLUE & NAVY

Hello friends and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you!  I'm the hostess this month for the Color Hues Challenge and here in Michigan where I live, January can be a very chilly month, so I thought we'd start out with the cool tones of LIGHT BLUE & NAVY BLUE.  I may be eating my words this year though as so far it's been pretty mild and hardly any snow...but trust me, I'm NOT complaining!!  I much prefer paper snowflakes and Winter scenes from inside my nice warm house!!  Haha!  Anyway, let's get started, shall we?!


Here's what I came up with using these 2 shades of blue...


I've been having a blast with this new mitten die from SSS (Winter Mitten) and sweet little Walter from Tim Holtz, and having several January birthdays in our family made a birthday card the obvious choice for me!  I used SU!'s Night of Navy and Boho Blue cardstocks for my card base and mitten layers and of course the neutrals for Walter.  The white layer is embossed using SSS's Icy Snowflakes ef.


  My sentiment comes from an older PTI stamp set called Winter Hills and was die cut using SU!'s Tasteful Label Dies.  I even did a bit of sponging around the edges with Night of Navy ink which is something I haven't done in ages! (Used to do it ALL the time when I first started stamping, but not so much now!) Also sponged around the edges of the mitten cuff that was embossed with a SU! knitted pattern so that it would stand out a bit from the white snowflake background.  A piece of ribbon and a few gems finished off this sweet card.

There is so much fun and varied inspiration for you from the DT and our Special Guest, so check it all out right HERE and then play along with us...we really would love to see YOU in the gallery! This challenge is open till Sunday, January 14th @ 9:00AM.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


21 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, from one Mitten State gal to another, your card couldn't be cuter! Look at you really challenging me with these blues! It's going to be fun!
=]

Julie B said...

Aw, such a cute penguin and that mitten looks very cozy indeed. A happy and healthy New Year to you and yours. :)

Lisa Elton said...

Your cool blues are perfect for January! Darling card, Marcia. Walter looks quite dapper in his powder blue blow tie! Happy New Year! XO

Bonnie said...

I love this mitten with the knitted cuff and Walter is adorable, Marcia! What a great way to use these colors!

Bobby said...

I love the embossing on the cuff, Marcia. Looks like it's actually knitted. And Walter is the cutest.

Loll said...

Adorable winter birthday card Marcia! Love that fabulous mitten ... looks amazing in light blue and navy! And your penguin is just the cutest! Great start to the year, my friend. Happy New Year to you too! Love, Loll

Birgit said...

What an adorable mitten die and little Walter is just the icing on the cake! Lovely tones of winter blues. Our winter has been mild so far too. I'll take it!! Happy new year my friend!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, gosh, this is cute! The snowflake embossing, the big mitten, and funny little Walter -- love it all so much! The TH characters make such happy cards and you sure know how to use them!

Tracey McNeely said...

Happy New Year Marcia! Wishing you only the best for you and your family and I hope that 2024 is a fabulous year for you! I love that big mitten so perfectly decked out with light and navy blue, so fun my friend! Our weather so far is like you although we have already had three significant snowballs of 1-2 feet each, we woke to a white Christmas and now there is only a small pile of our deck and a small 6" snowbank on one side of our street. Such unusual weather. Let's keep our fingers crossed! xo

Julia Aston said...

I just got the Walter so I'm always looking for cards made with him for inspiration - he looks wonderful with this big mitten in the blues Marcia! Wishing you a Happy, Crafty New Year dear friend! Julia xx

Jeanne H said...

Love, love this. Blue is my favorite color, and your penguin is adorable.

Cindy Beach said...

Happy New Year to you, Marcia! Your big mitten is perfect for showcasing our colors and setting a wintry theme. Love the cute penguin. And oh my goodness, all that lovely texture! What a great card!

Karen said...

That mitten is just great! I love the embossed cuff and the the beautiful embossed background. I recognized that sentiment right away--it's an oldie, but a goodie! Best wishes that 2024 is all you hope it will be!

TK said...

He's adorable! Love your little penguin, and all those wonderful details on the mitten -- very cute, Marcia

Cat Craig said...

That mitten is perfect in its blue hues and for a winters birthday.

Nancy said...

Happy New Year to you, Marcia! Walter is just adorable as is your entire card! His bow tie is just so cute! Love the choice of colors for our challenge and I already can't wait till Spring, it's been very chilly here.

Bonnie said...

Your blues are so cheery especially the matching bow tie.

JulieP said...

Don't you live in the Mitten State? This is awesome however it's making me quite chilly. LOL! Love the cute addition of the penguin too.

Stef Perry said...

What a fun birthday card, Marcia! Love all the texture from the embossing and the inking around the edges really helps make things pop! I was toying w8th buying that Nintendo when it came out and you've shown how delightful it is, along that cute little Walter! Fabulous card, my friend and a very Happy New Year to you!

cm said...

Ohmyword! Your mitten and Walter pairing is sheer delight! What a great combination for a winter birthday! Love this!
We're in a deep freeze here in Alberta, with 'highs' of -30C (yes, minus 30C) and overnight lows of -46C. Factor in the windchill and we're at -50C! GAH!!! I need a pair of the mittens you've created!
hugs~carol

Greta said...

Gotta say--your choice for the theme is one of my favorites for winter cards! I love that mitten & the adorable Walter you used for your wonderful BD card!