Monday, August 20, 2018

Heirloom Ornament Snowflakes

Hello friends.  Hope you all had a great weekend!  It was muggy and warm in my neck of the woods this weekend, so I spent most of it in my craft room stitching up some felt snowflakes with PTI's new Heirloom Ornament snowflake die.  Didn't cool me off any, but I sure had FUN...these are very addicting!!


One thing I learned is that cheap felt does NOT work well on these snowflakes...you need a good WOOL felt like PTI sells!  The pink ornament was made with inexpensive felt from the big box craft store, and does not hold it's shape well, and doesn't die cut well either.  Also much flimsier than the other colors I made!


This white wool felt was from my local fabric store, and they sell a few colors, but not all the beautiful colors that PTI sells!  Hard to see in my photos, but I used a gold thread along with my embroidery floss to do the stitching, so along with the iridescent sequins and beads, theses snowflakes really do shimmer and shine!


The Aqua Mist snowflake was the only actual PTI felt I used (I have a bunch of other colors, but none of them look like snowflake colors...more like flower colors!!).  Can you see the difference between the PTI wool felt on the Aqua Mist and the regular pink felt?  The pink snowflake is pretty enough, but a lot harder to stitch on and just very flimsy compared to the Aqua Mist one.


Aren't the blue ones pretty?!  I used silver thread along with the blue and white embroidery floss and they really sparkle IRL!  Here's a close up:


These were definitely FUN and EASY to stitch up and will look great on my Christmas gifts this year and a few for my tree too...after I order some more felt that is!  :0)

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


10 comments:

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful felt snowflakes, Marcia. Would be special on a tree or package. TFS Hugs..

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous snowflake ornaments, Marcia!! Especially love the blue one. Perfect for a tree or decorating a mantle!!

Lisa Elton said...

Oh how pretty! I think the aqua mist snowflake is my favorite, but they're all just marvelous!

Stephanie said...

Is this a sneak peek for our ornament exchange?? :D Way cute!!

Loll said...

These are all so pretty Marcia! I LOVE the snowflakes in all colours. Looks like you had fun adding some bling too. You can tell in the photos that the PTI felt is stiffer. But the cheaper felt snowflake is adorable. Have a suggestion if you're having trouble cutting the felt ... cut it with a piece of thin card stock underneath. Hopefully that will help. xx

Bonnie said...

Wow! Your Christmas tree is going to look very special with these pretty snowflakes on it! Thanks for the tip about the felt.

Cindy Beach said...

Marcia, these are beautifully stitch and gorgeous! I missed ordering those dies before they were OOS, but I am going to try felt ornaments for Christmas!! Thanks for showing the difference in the felts. May I ask what thread you used? And how many strands? I have not stitched in ages.

Kara Lynne said...

My question is: Why don't we live closer?! It would be just a blast to spend the afternoons crafting away with you. Your snowflakes are all beautiful and your stitching is perfect! I love your designs and your combinations of thread and felt colors!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Waaaa, these are so cute, Marcia!!! I love felt and I used to make a lot of things when I was a kid. I have a whole collection MFT felt, but I don't have time to use it... Anyway, I love each and every snowflake ornament! Fantastic and clean stitching with pretty designs and colors. I can see the felt quality differences in your great photos. Hideko xx

Ros Crawford said...

Oh they are so pretty!! You are amazing!