Thursday, September 20, 2018

Make It Monday #336 - Faux Gilded Leaves

Hello friends.  This weeks Make It Monday challenge has Laurie Schmidlin showing us how to combine copper, platinum, & gold embossing powders to create a faux gilded look.  You can check out Laurie's STUNNING card and video right HERE.

Here's what I came up with:


I started with a background using Winter Wisteria cs and ink with last months Text & Texture: Leaves stamp.  Rather than just a cluster of gilded leaves, I decided to make a wreath and decorate it with the leaves and a few flowers.  I used the Rustic Wreath die and then added the copper, platinum, & gold embossing powders.  It looked pretty but it was missing something, and I think it's the last step of stamping over the top of the embossing like Laurie shows in her video.  I did decide to leave it plain though and focus on the leaves from Leave It Be and Leaf Prints.  The larger leaf in the center I stamped on Scarlet Jewel cs to tie in with the flowers from Farmer's Market that I wanted to add.  I also added a little bit of WOW Verdigris embossing enamel  on the center leaf to add a bit more color.  The smaller leaves on each side were stamped on Winter Wisteria cs and embossed with the copper, platinum, & gold embossing powders.  I set my wreath die cut off center and then added the larger frame from the Pierced Feature Frames...I love these frames!!

  
Hopefully you can see the shine a bit better in this close up photo.  To finish I added a piece of twine and a Tiny Tag that was also stamped with the Text & Texture: Leaves stamp set.  Kind of different colors for a fall card, but I really like the way it turned out!

Make sure to check out Laurie's lovely card and great video (HERE) and then play along.  It's a FUN challenge!!  :0)

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


16 comments:

Colleen said...

Fabulous card Marcia! I love your gilded leaves, they do have a beautiful shine with the different ep! Love your background too!

Nancy Penir said...

Oh that sweet little tag is wonderful! Love how you cut it from the leaf pattern. Your gilding is gorgeous, and the colors wonderful. You put the 'Marcia' touch on everything with such flare, love it!

Linda said...

Beautiful gilded leaves and card, Marcia. Love your Winter Wisteria background. Gorgeous card, my friend.

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous Marcia, I love th mix of EP to create the gilded look.

Patti said...

Clever idea! and what a beautiful results you've achieved!!

nancy littrell said...

Wow..Gorgeous heat embossing gilded wreath and leaves, Marcia. I love how you used your Winter Wisteria as your background and your die cut framing. A real Mixed Media beauty, my friend. TFS your detailed description of your card and the links. Hugs...

Bonnie said...

These leaves are GORGEOUS, Marcia! Love the colors of embossing you've used and the embossed wreath and pretty flowers you've used with them! Beautifully framed!

Lisa Elton said...

Oh Marcia, the is fabulous! I like the way you've layered everything and that little bit of maroon is so pretty!

Loll said...

Fantastic technique. You did amazing with this Marcia! LOVE your gorgeous leaves and the leafy wreath. So pretty with purple background and rose flowers. I enjoyed the video and want to give this a try! Thanks for sharing! xx

Birgit said...

This is gorgeous Marcia! I love your beautifully gilded leaves and the flowers are such a sweet touch. The little tag cut from the background is darling too. I love how you think of every little detail that make your cards so special.

Kathy Mc said...

WOW, Marcia, your attention to detail and unique color combos made for a gorgeous Fall card. Great way to add your sentiment. Those Pierced Frames were OOS when I was able to order but love the look.

Kathryn A said...

This is beautiful, Marcia!! What an interesting colour combo! I love the textured leavesbackground and how you’ve combined a few flowers with the leaves.

Helen F. said...

Oh what a fabulous card design, color scheme and stamp/die combo, Marcia! I simply love everything about this beauty!

Sadie said...

Marcia, I love that you used some unique colors for your card. Unusual but very attractive. I like how you added a flower to the layout as well. Such a pretty card for someone you're missing.

Carmela said...

Beautiful colors, Marci! I love that background stamp. The leaves are gorgeous and I love the gilded wreath.

Ros Crawford said...

I love how you play with colours ... This is so lovely and the faux gilding is perfect!