Tuesday, November 13, 2018

CAS Christmas Nov. 2018 - SANTA

Hello friends.  Playing along with this month's CAS Christmas challenge which is to add a SANTA to your Christmas card.


I have many Santa stamp images, but my favorite has always been Flourishes Santa I Believe.  Sadly this company is no longer in business, but I still use this image every year!  I had wanted to try the new (to me) technique of inking up your stamp with Versamark and then using a damp paintbrush to "paint" on Lindy's Magicals powder (or any other powder form of paint like Brusho's) and then lightly spritzing with water before stamping onto your cardstock.  One of my favorite colors of Magicals is the Cattail Copper Brown and I thought the shimmery copper would look so cool on this vintage Santa stamp but I wasn't real impressed with my results, so I ended up just using Soft Suede ink...


Isn't that just the sweetest vintage Santa image?!!  I just kept it very CAS so as not to take away from the image, and matted it with some Soft Suede cardstock and attached to a white card base.  I stamped the "Believe" sentiment from the stamp set in Early Espresso ink and then finished with some baker's twine and a wooden snowflake.

I did make a card from the Lindy's Magicals, but again, not real impressed with it.  I think because once you add the water (and I didn't add much!) you don't get a real clear image and you lose a lot of the details.


You can still tell it's Santa, and there is quite a bit of shimmer that is part of the Lindy's Magicals, but it just didn't thrill me!


Oh well, you have to experiment sometimes, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!!  But either way, the process is FUN!!

Check out all the FABULOUS Santa cards from the DT and be inspired to play along!  You have until the 24th to play in this challenge and you can check it all out right HERE

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


13 comments:

Loll said...

I can see why this is your favourite Santa stamp ... it is AWESOME! I love your design in neutrals with the soft brown stamping and thin framing. The wooden snowflake is just the right embellishment!

I think your magical card is beautiful too. But I see what you mean about loosing some of the details when the added water. You definitely need to try this technique again with something that's a little more forgiving. xx

Mac Mable said...

Yes it's always good to experiment and its always fun. That Santa stamped image is wonderful and your cards are beautiful. Completely understand about the slight loss of image with this tecnique X Thank you for sharing X

Anita in France said...

Looks as though you had heaps of fun with this gorgeous image, Marcia ... he really is the most magical Santa ... as soft and warm ... or as shimmery and glimmery! Hugs, Anita :)

Bonnie said...

This is a beautiful Santa, Marcia! I love the crisp stamping in the brown and white! The little wooden snowflake is a great earthy touch! I agree about the Lindys with this stamp. It loses a lot of the detail. I'm glad you shared it with us though. It's always good to see that others done always get great results. Makes me feel better about my messes!

Birgit said...

What a darling Santa image this is! It looks wonderful stamped in the soft suede. You get an A for effort using the Lindy's powders. Wonderful detail on the second try and the twine and wooden snowflake are all this card needed to make it perfect. So lovely my friend!

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, either way, perhaps ANY way this is one cool Santa-dude!!! Did you see Therese Calvird's Frosted video last week? Your Santa would be perfect for that! https://youtu.be/1LYPFyxrzCI
=]

Christine Alexander said...

Now that's one Jolly Santa, what a great expression on his face. I can see why you wanted to keep him as CAS as possible. Thanks for playing along with CAS Christmas:)

Lisa Elton said...

This fabulous Santa would make anyone a believer! Wonderful cards Marcia!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh it's a fabulous image and I love the stamped result... What a shame that the magicals technique didn't work for you... We all have those moments- I know I have!

Linda said...

What an awesome Santa, Marcia. Beautiful card my friend. Thanks for joining us at CAS Christmas.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wonderful old-fashioned Santa image, Marcia! Just love it in browns with the little wooden snowflake!!

Helen F. said...

Love this Santa image, Marcia! And the 'new' technique you used creates fabulous results. I have Christmas stamps that I must try this on this year!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Gorgeous Santa image, Marcia! I can really see the beautiful details. I LOVE the monotone look with dimensional interest of the wooden snowflake and the twine. Thanks so much for sharing this beauty and your experiment with Magicals at CAS Christmas!
Hideko xx