Sunday, November 25, 2018

Papertrey Ink Blog Hop - Nov. 2018

Hello friends.  Playing along with this month's Papertrey Ink Blog Hop and here is the inspiration photo we were given:


It's fun, it's festive, and it's pretty...BUT I struggled with it, and up until later yesterday I didn't think I was going to play along.  And the reason I struggled is such a goofy one, but I am not a big fan of BLUE!  I love the red & white, the stripes, the little bits of greenery, but blue is just not a favorite of mine unless I'm doing snowflakes or a sky.  Hey I told ya it was a goofy reason, but what can I say?!  Just not a blue fan!  But then I got to thinking about how I always take these challenges so literally and I really don't need to do that...just pick one or two things that jump out at you from the photo!  So I went with the red and white color theme, the red & white stripes, and the little bit of greenery and came up with this:

 
I had just received my latest order and HAD to include the Bold Borders: Polka Dots die and then cut out a rectangle for the center using Pure Poppy Bitty Big striped DSP on a diagonal.  The JOY I die cut from the Bold Borders: Flurries once in white and once in Pure Poppy to offset with the white.  I am totally in LOVE with the Poinsettia from the Pleasing Envelopes set and used that to draw the eye to the other corner opposite of the JOY.


Although I'm pretty sure this is not what they had in mind when they posted the inspiration photo, I'm really pleased with the way this card came out!  The 2 pinecones are pop dotted for some dimension and I also added a few Pale Gold Nuvo Drops to the center of my Poinsettia!

Now I need to go hop along and see how every one else interpreted this photo, and who knows...maybe someone will change my mind about BLUE!!  You can check it all out and play along right HERE.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


27 comments:

lainey said...

Marcia, what a darling card! Love those polka dots!! What a beautiful card.

Karen said...

I love your card! You and I had similar challenges and ended up with some of the same design elements. Mine ended up much busier, and I always prefer a CAS card---yours is perfect!

Ivana Camdzic said...

Marcia, this card is stunning! Such a beautiful way to incorporate those gorgeous poinsettias...I need to get me some of those!

Carmela said...

So cute, Marcia! Perfect design from the inspiration photo!!

Betty Wright said...

WOW! This is wonderful, Marcia! I am impressed by your fussy cutting skills with the poinsettia set. Beautifully done!

Diana K said...

So pretty, Marcia! I also cannot quite believe that you fussy cut that poinsettia! Your skill is insane! I struggle with blue also. I struggle with all colours that are on the cold side of the spectrum. I can handle Aqua Mist okay because there is a lot of yellow in it. but pure blues are hard. :)

Melanie Ann MacKenzie said...

Really beautiful card Marcia! Cheers.

Julia Aston said...

You are so right that you don't have to be literal in your interpretation Marcia! but your card still hits the mark with all the wonderful red and white! love that die cut background - I struggled about whether to purchase it or not and haven't so far - it looks so pretty with the stripes in the center and your beautiful layering of the JOY and poinsettia! xx

Rosemary said...

so pretty, marica! fabulous take on the inspiration photo!

Vikki H said...

The polka dots make this so fun, Marcia! I love the design and am thankful someone else had trouble working blue in. The joy die cut really stands out with the two colors offset!

Sharyn Polesel said...

I think your card is beautiful! The striped paper reminds me of the candy canes. I struggled with this photo too. If fact, I didn't get my card made until 7 pm last night. I wasn't sure I was going to play either.

Kathryn A said...

Your card is awesome! I love your poinsettia, too, and wish I had that set. Your stripes and polka dots add lovely interest and sets off the joy sentiment beautifully!

Mac Mable said...

Great interpretation of the challenge photo. I am a bit literal too with inspiration photos but I love just the red and white and no need for the blue. Crisp and eye catching card with a great design x.

Bonnie said...

I love your take on the photo inspiration, Marcia! I always take them too literally too! And blue isn't my favorite! I love how you've focused on the red and white! Such a festive card!

Lisa Elton said...

I'm so glad you stuck with it because this is beautiful Marcia! The polka dots, poinsettia and sentiment framing the peppermint stripes look fabulous!

Nancy G said...

Your card is beautiful! I also love that poinsettia, but I haven't had much time to play with it. The polka dots just make me happy!

maryrose said...

Good idea to swap out the blue! I’m a fan of traditional colors at Christmas, so the blue is out of my comfort zone, too. Beautiful card!

Unknown said...

Elegant. Simple. Lovely!

Dana Kirby said...

This is Gorgeous!! I love the polka dot frame and flowers!!

Kathy Mc said...

Can’t believe you struggle with anything when it comes to card making, Marcia. All those new products and you coordinated them beautifully with the polka dot frame and red/white diagonal stripes. Poinsettia is lovely and so is the two-layered Joy.

Sharron said...

Stunning, Marcia! The striking stripes and die cut polka dots look fabulous and I love the poinsettia! That is such an amazing joy die and layering it was a wonderful touch.

I Card Everyone said...

It's not one bit goofy to me, Marcia! You know I don't like blue either! But give me a lovely muted teal color, or your gorgeous greyish green? and I'm a happy girl! This is one JOY-filled card, my friend!
=]

Marlena M. said...

This is lovely Marcia~fantastic texture and design!

Anita in France said...

What a gorgeous take on the inspiration, Marcia ... lovely layers ... fabulous festive colours (without the blue!) ... and one of my favourite words! Hugs, Anita :)

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Marcia!! LOVE your amazing design. Great inspiration from the colours in the photo. So clever to start your design with your favourite colours and just add in a little of the one you were struggling with. Honestly, it doesn't look as though you struggled at all. Beautiful and cohesive design with a surprise of adding a bit of blue for the leaves of the poinsettia which works PERFECTLY! Great work my friend! xx

Sue said...

I think you did a great job with the inspiration picture. It’s all in how the photo speaks to all of us. Your card looks beautiful without any blue and It’s beautiful. I love the polka dot frame, the stripes, the poinsettia and the word Joy. Perfection my friend!!

Patti said...

Wow! I love your take on this inspiration Marcia! it is sugar and spice and mint and pine scent all wrapped into one stunning card!