Thursday, June 23, 2022

Double D Challenge - Beach Time

Hello friends.  Playing along with the Double D BEACH TIME challenge today.  Lot's of inspiration going on with their mood board...take a look!


I had been playing with a new Gina K stencil called Lush Leaves and trying to create a kind of Coleus leaf look with both greens and pinkish red, but when I finished, it looked more tropical to me, so I just let it sit on my desk for a couple days while I tried to figure out what to do with it.  After looking at the mood board, I thought maybe I could add something to the leaves to make it look even more tropical or beachy to fit in with the challenge, and was looking through my stamps and dies and came upon these NBUS dies from PTI (Feathered Friends #12) that I've had for ages, and figured I'd give it a try.  Here's what I came up with...


  I cut my flamingo from white cardstock and then used Picked Raspberry DOX ink to color him up.  I know flamingos are more of a coral/peach color, but I wanted him (or is it a her??) to match with the pink I used in my stenciled leaves.  


 I used a cream colored card base, then added a layer of Magenta Madness cs die cut with The Greetery's Postal Frame Die.  Before die cutting my stenciled layer (with Gina K's ML#2) I splattered the piece with a liberal dose of water...I love how reactive water is to Distress Inks!  I popped my flamingo up with a bit of foam tape and added a circle die cut (Gina k's ML#7) for my sentiment from MFT's Sunny Days Ahead.  To finish I added a few Crystal Ball Dewdrop Baubles from Trinity Stamps...love how shiny and iridescent these little gems are!!

Lot's of FABULOUS inspiration from the DT over at Double D, so check it out and welcome SUMMER in!!  It's definitely Summertime in my neck of the woods...we've had quite a few days already in the 90's, and we're just not used to that kind of heat here in Michigan!  But I'm not complaining because it sure beats Winter that goes on and on and on here!!  

Also going to add this card to Darnell's NBUS Challenge, since my flamingo is making her/his long awaited debut!


 

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


9 comments:

Birgit said...

This is the perfect card for our challenge, over at Double D's! The colors on your leaves definitely add to the tropical feel of this delightful card. So glad you linked up with our challenge. Best of luck to you, my friend!

Barbara said...

A brilliant card for this challenge, I love the bright pink flamingo! Glad to see that you were able to work that background into a card for this challenge.
That flamingo is foxy! You know? I am so glad that you shared them with us at Double D Challenge.

Pat said...

What a gorgeous card Marcia and your lovely bright pink flamingo goes beautifully over the top of those wonderful stencilled leaves and the coordinating frame finishes it perfectly. Thank you so much for joining us here at the NBUS Challenge this month. x

Darnell said...

All the flamingos I've ever seen as yard art have been bright pink, so I love the brightness, Marcia! You made me curious about the gender and I discovered that both male and female flamingos are colored the same. How about that?! Usually male birds are colored more beautifully than females, so thank you for that fun fact! I love the framing you used and the bling, but the coloring of the leaves and the water spouts are what I love the best! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hope it cools off there soon (and here, too!)! Hugs, Darnell

Lisa Elton said...

Your fancy water spotted leaves are the perfect backdrop for this flirty flamingo! What a fun card, Marcia!

Darlene said...

Oh Marcia this is AWESOME! LOVE your design and that stenciled background is AMAZING! Love your pink flamingo too ... WELL DONE my friend!! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Beach Time’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!!

Darlene
DOUBLE D CHALLENGE
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Bonnie said...

Another fantastic use of these leaves, Marcia! I love the pink and green and this flamingo is awesome and matches the mood perfectly!

TK said...

Beautiful use of your stenciled leaves, as this looks absolutely perfect with your PINK flamingo!

Loll said...

Love the colour combo of your leaves, Marcia. Always fun to try new colour combinations and this looks awesome. Great blending to keep the two distinct colours. And so pretty with the bright pink flamingo. :) Fun card, my friend! xx