Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Make it Monday #187 - Partial Die Cuts for the Holidays

Good morning friends.  This weeks Make it Monday challenge has Melissa Phillip's showing her magic with partial die cuts on holiday tags.  I can't resist anything Melissa does, and had a delightful time making Christmas tags using the "Basic Bookmark #3 Die". 


I started with an extra heavy weight cardstock (it's almost like chipboard and had to use my metal shim to make it cut out!) and then stamped the bottom third with SU!'s "En Francais" background stamp in Crumb Cake ink, and then the music lines twice in black from PTI's "Songbirds" stamp set.  Next I used some distress ink (TH - Antique Linen) on the edges of the bookmark to give it a bit more vintage look. I used the leaf die from "Songbirds" on kraft cs and the snowflake from "Phrase Play #9" stamp set on white card stock and then lined them up on the bookmark so that the edges were cut off when I ran it through my Cuttlebug again.  (I also embossed some gold on the edges of the snowflake beforehand like we learned about a couple of MIM's ago!)  I used a gold mirrored cs for the joy sentiment (PTI's Wet Paint Holiday Dies) and for the layer behind the bird die cut. I finished by adding a few rainstones (PTI) and some dyed to match seam binding ribbon and bakers twine.  Here's a bit closer up view for you:

 
I also sprayed the heck out of the bookmark with Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist, so it really, REALLY shimmers in real life!  (wish I could figure out how to photograph that shimmer...grrrrr!)  Anyways, super happy with how these bookmark tags turned out (I actually made 3 of them) and am excited to put them on special gifts this year! :0)

Make sure you check out Melissa's video and beautiful Christmas tag, and then play along.  You can find all the info right here on Nichole's blog.

**Edited to add:  It was suggested that I add this tag to Loll Thompson's "Twelve Tags of Christmas" challenge.  Loll has some absolutely stunning tags on her blog already and it's only day 3!  You can check it all out right here .



Thanks so much for stopping by and have a wonderful day! :0)

28 comments:

Michelle said...

A beautiful tag.... SO many great details!

Bonnie said...

Marcia, this is gorgeous! It's perfect for Loll's Christmas Tag challenge at Stamping with Loll.

Marybeth said...

Marcia , this is PERFECTION! I love every single step you did to create this tag. The music,bird ,gold dipped snowflake ...simply stunning!

My bookmark just.
in the mail yesterday...everytime I went to order it ,it was sold out.

Nancy Guse said...

This is GORGEOUS! Love every bit of your tag Marcia!

Diana K said...

Wowzers! Just stunning, Marcia.

Nancy Penir said...

Never seen this assembly of dies done better, Marcia! Must do a little replicating!

Unknown said...

This is lovely!

Kathryn A said...

SUCH a gorgeous tag!! (I will be using this as inspiration for my own tags...once I order theses Songbirds stamps-dies, that is! They're in my cart!) Love all the details and touches of gold!

Linda said...

Marcia, your tag is so gorgeous.

Birgit said...

Oh Marcia, your book mark / tag is stunning! Every well thought out detail came together perfectly! Can I send you my address now? haha!
~ Birgit

Bonnie T. said...

Breathtaking bookmark/tag for Christmas!

Loll said...

Gorgeous bookmark tag Marcia! LOVE the soft colour of your tag, paired with the red and white ... absolutely stunning. Thanks so much for linking up to my tag event!! Loll xx

Becky said...

Beautiful!!

nancy littrell said...

Wow...Crisp, Clean and soooo Creative. I love every single mixed media detail. TFS

BeckyTE said...

This is fabulous! After reading your directions I Must Go Shopping ! Thanks for sharing all the instructions on this beauty.

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is gorgeous! I love it!

Susan said...

What a beautiful tag! Love the gold tips on the snowflake! Thanks for all the info and links.

Linda said...

This is gorgeous .... I love all the little details. xx

Connie MacFarlane said...

I absolutely love this Marcia! What a fabulous tag. Love everything about it.

Helen F. said...

BEAUTIFUL tag, Marcia! I love every inch of your creation and want each of the PTI products you used here! Thank you for the inspiration :-)

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty tag, the perfect addition to your Christmas gifts, beautifully done
Hugs Julie P

Joan said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Love the filigree bird!

Petti said...

This tag is just fabulous!

Manuela said...

beautiful created tag!

Carol D said...

Really beautiful! I love the touches of gold with the distress look.

Sue said...

WOW! This tag is GORGEOUS! I love it! I agree with all the comments above. Absolutely stunning!!!

Brenda said...

I love your tag Marcia, it is so elegant! The die cuts you use are fabulous, the dew drops give that little sparkle-not to much-not to little-just right! Hugs, Brenda

roseline said...

CC. Ce tag est MAGNIFIQUE.!!!!!!!!!!!!! Belle décoration et jolies couleurs, trop MIGNON !!!!!!!!!!!! BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!