Friday, January 25, 2019

Papertrey Ink Blog Hop Jan. 2019

Hello friends.  It's the 25th and that means it's time for Papertrey Ink's monthly Blog Hop!  Here's the inspiration photo we were given:


Pretty modern and sophisticated cake, huh??!!  When I started reading the little blurb about the photo you could have blown me away with a feather to find out this is a baby shower cake!!  I must be getting older than I thought friends...I always thought baby shower cakes were supposed to be pastels and cute!  Don't get me wrong...this cake is absolutely BEAUTIFUL...I just thought it was a wedding or anniversary cake!  Shows what I know!!

I decided to go with the black & white patterns and the light blue and peachy pink colors, the little bit of gold, and the tassels, and came up with this:


Since I'm still trying to ramp up my birthday card stash, that dictated what kind of card I made and I just went to town using all these wonderful colors!  I started with a black card base and added a Bold Borders: Polka Dots die cut in white and then added flowers from the Botanical Bounty set stamped in Berry Sorbet, Sweet Blush, Spring Rain, Blueberry Sky, and several shades of greens for the leaves.


I did some ink blending with a sponge dauber on the flowers and LOVE the way they turned out!  To mimic the bit of gold trim on the cake I die cut the "happy" from the Bold Borders: Flare die and then added the white banner with "birthday" stamped on it from the Wet Paint stamp set.


I loved the tassels on the cake but just couldn't bring myself to use brown like they did in the inspiration photo.  I used white crochet thread to make the tassels and I really like the celebratory look they add to the card.  I do think this might have to be a hand delivered card though...the tassels are a little thick to go through the mail!

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else interpreted this inspiration photo and whether or not I'm the only one who didn't go in a baby shower direction!  Haha!!  You can check out all the details and play along right HERE.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


18 comments:

Julia Aston said...

How fun that you made your own tassels Marcia! Love the white dots die cut with the black behind it - and your beautiful florals are lovely layered on the edge!

Melanie Ann MacKenzie said...

I always know that you will have something wonderful to share on these blog hops. This one is sheer perfection. You have picked up every element of the inspiration photo so beautifully. Really lovely card Marcia my dear. Well done you! Cheers.

Tracey McNeely said...

Marcia what a fabulous card, love the background frame, the hint of gold and your tassels are just amazing!

Helen F. said...

Ha! I thought the very same thing about this cake for a Baby Shower, Marcia. But it sure is gorgeous and inspired such a beautiful Birthday card from you! Love the black and white and those pretty blooms in pastels. The polka dot frame and tassels with a touch of 'happy' gold are an added bonus! :-)

Susan Watanabe said...

Lovely birthday card Marcia! And a photo inspiration perfection even though it isn’t a baby card. I especially like your tassel embellishments (hahaha)!

Wanda Cullen said...

Absolutely love your take on the photo! I'm with you when it comes to thinking that cake is more for weddings or anniversaries...anything but babies - haha!

Bonnie said...

That's a baby shower cake! I wouldn't have guessed. Oh, well, times are a changin'! I love the way you've interpreted the cake with the black and white, the pretty flowers and the tassels! Great job, my friend!

Lisa Elton said...

This is an elegant interpretation of the hop photo Marcia! The touches of gold and those pretty little tassels are wonderful accents!

Linda said...

Beautiful take on the challenge Marcia. Your card is gorgeous. Love your flowers and the white on black. I missed the gold altogether and it sure didn't remind me of anything baby like.

Leanne said...

Beautiful card! Love the layout, the background & the tassels.

Sharron said...

Stunning, Marcia! Love those gorgeous blooms! The touches of gold with the polka dot frame makes such a striking background. And how cool are those tassels!!!

I Card Everyone said...

Ta DA!!! You've nailed it, Marcia!!! Tassels, and polkas, and blooms? OH MY! Everything traditional about baby décor [even cakes] went right out the window... I personally couldn't be happier about it. If I WERE having a baby, its room would be grey!! with elephants floating away with balloons tied to their tails! ha!
=]

Joyce said...

I did not know it was a baby cake either! Your card is stunning. I think that those tassles are such a fun little embellishment.

Patti said...

Oh I am LOVING this!! the touch of gold is perfect! and those little tassels the frosting on the cake!!

Bobby said...

You managed to pull all the details in the photo into your fantastic card, Marcia.

Birgit said...

Wow Marcia, this is stunning! I love the black and white polka dots anchoring those beautiful soft colored flowers. The gold foil sentiment and those tassles...... LOVE!

Anita in France said...

Layered and lovely, Marcia ... you took all those elements of that sophisticated cake (it didn't put me in mind of babies either!) ... and created a beautiful birthday bouquet ... gorgeous! Hugs, Anita :)

Ros Crawford said...

Stunningly beautiful and I love the details with the tassels and the black behind the dotted frame ... Fabulous design!