Thursday, February 20, 2020

CAS Stencil Feb. 2020 - FOIL

Hello friends.  The CAS Stencil Challenge is looking for FOILING on your cards this month.


I have never had much luck with foiling and had even invested in a laminator, but have just never had any success with it.  So when I saw this month's challenge, I was like "oh crap...I have to try again"!!  And so try I did, and after 2 bad attempts, I came up with a card I actually like...


I used SSS's Super Heart Border die and made a stencil with it, and then used deco foil's Transfer Gel through the stencil.  After it had dried, I used a piece of red foil and ran it through the laminator.  When I first pulled off the foil, I thought I had ruined my 3rd try also, as there are little pieces of the red foil missing on all the hearts...grrrrr!  But the more I looked at it, I thought it gave it kind of a distressed look and it grew on me!


I added a few score lines and my sentiment from PTI's Heart Squared stamp set, and then added a red layer and adhered to a white card base.  Very CAS and just perfect for my hubby for Valentine's Day (along with some dark chocolate of course!!).

I persevered and can finally say I've made a card with foiling on it!  You can play along with this challenge too right HERE...it's only open till the 24th though, so you'll have to get a move on!  :0)

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


13 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Looks lovely, Marcia! Love the CAS look and that scoring too. I've never tried foiling as it looks so tricky. Well done you, Jo x

Mac Mable said...

Fabulous foil card Marcia and so very elegant. The foiling looks grungy and I love it! I bet DH loved it too and the dark chocolates....LOL x.
When this has happened to me with the foiling I pop on some of the 'blue'glue, let it dry and patch the foiling up but it never looks as beautiful as a complete foiling but it has helped me out in the past....Yours really does look fabulous left alone Marcia x.

Viv said...

My first attempt also had a few spaces Marcia but I liked them too!
I think the little gaps in this lovely die stencil look wonderful - adds a bit more interest to the lush shiny red! Lovely card!

Loll said...

This is so beautiful Marcia. I bet your hubby loved it! The hearts do have a distressed look which is very artsy and cool. Your scored lines emphsize the heart border ... great addition to your design. xx

Cat Craig said...

Good job keeping at it Marcia, and I agree I love the distressed look of the hearts.

Lisa Elton said...

Love those shimmery little hearts! And the scored lines add so much. This is charming Marcia!

Ros Crawford said...

I think it looks wonderful! And I thought the missing pieces were meant to be... Looks terrific!

I Card Everyone said...

Your own heart is perfect enough for me - and I love the perfect imperfections of these darling little red-foiled hearts! I [heart] it!
=]

Bobby said...

The only foiling I've had luck with is using Scor-tape and you can't do that through a stencil. I've contemplated getting some of the Duo transfer gel but don't want to have to buy a big bunch of foil to try it out. I do really love your hearts distressed like that, Marcia, and the scoring and red border really finish the card of beautifully.

Barb Ghig said...

Your hearts are so pretty, Marcia! I love the distressed look and how your thin red border really makes everything pop on this card! Love your scoring, too...thanks for reminding me to use that technique :) So happy you joined in the challenge at CAS Stencil!

nancy littrell said...

I thought your beautiful foiled die cut border was suppose to have the little pieces missing:-) A perfectly lovely card for your darling husband. TFS Marcia and joining us at CAS Stencil Challenge! Hugs..Nancy

Cathy said...

Wonderful foiled card, I laughed out loud when you said Oh crap I have to try this again!! Can't say how often I've felt the same lol! The heart border looks great, love the shine and distressed look, thankyou for joining in at CAS Stencil, Cathy x

Anita in France said...

How rich and gorgeous, Marcia! I thought the distressing on the hearts was intentional till I read your post ... it looks brilliant and adds delicious texture to this fabulous card! Your DH will love it! Hugs, Anita :)