Sunday, February 2, 2020

CAS Watercolour Feb. 2020 - Red & Black

Hello friends.  I'm hosting this month at CAS Watercolour and I do love a good color challenge, so I thought February would be a good month for RED & BLACK!


I have a Twofer for you today, because I wasn't sure I liked the 1st card I did...anybody else out there their worst critic??!!  I made a 2nd card that I liked, but the more I stared at my first card, the more I liked it!  Let's just say my water coloring is a little abstract and maybe a bit of Impressionistic!  Haha...works for me!


I used Rubbernecker's 4 Red Poppies stamp and colored directly onto the red rubber with SU! markers and then spritzed with water before stamping onto my water color cardstock.  I used Real Red, Cherry Cobbler, & Merry Merlot markers on the stamp several times and a tiny bit of black to get the (kind of) definition of the poppies.


I did a simple matting with black cardstock and then adhered both to a white card base before adding my sentiment (Altenew's Best Sentiments).

Here's my 2nd card...


I used SSS's Poppy Frame and die cut it twice...once from black cardstock, and once from water color cardstock and then water colored the pieces with my Kuretake Gansai Tambi paints.


Once my pieces were dry I inlaid them back into the black frame and attached to a layer that I had cut with The Greetery's Nordic Frame Dies.  My sentiment is from an older PTI set.

Make sure you check out all the lovely inspiration from the DT and our special GD Michele, and then play along with us right HERE.  Remember to keep your cards CAS and use RED & BLACK (neutrals are fine).  We can't wait to see what YOU come up with!  (this challenge is open till the 24th)

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


23 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, there was no need to doubt that original card - extraordinarily beautiful! [okay I like the second one, too!]
So happy to be playing cards with you today at the CAS Watercolour challenge!
=]

Cat Craig said...

Marcia, the first card is a fabulous watercolor! Love it, and I l ove your more structured second card too. So we all lucked out that you made a twofer!

Dotty Jo said...

Beautiful cards, Marcia! Jo x

Pat said...

Two entirely different looks here Marcia, and the first is so loose and washy and very pretty, then the second with more the look of stained glass using the die cut flowers in the frame which also works beautifully and love the outer die cut ornate patterned frame too. x

Mac Mable said...

Yes we are all I think are own worst critics Marcia x
I think your first poppy card is artistic, contemporary and the abstract water colouring looks amazing and I love it! x.
The sympathy card is beautiful and so perfect for the occasion x.

Loll said...

Definitely we are our worst critics, Marcia. I LOVE your watercoloured poppies. To me they look truly watercoloured and not stamped. This is a very artsy card ... and I love it! Your second card is beautiful as well. To gorgeous cards for the challenge! Thanks for hosting, I had fun with these colours! xx

Julia Aston said...

What a great challenge for us this month Marcia - love both of your watercolored poppies - the first are so wonderfully watery! and the 2nd so wonderfully defined with the black outlines - both beautiful and creative designs!

Robyn Oliver said...

A very artsy watercoloured first card Marcia - I agree with Loll - it looks more painted than stamped and I love it. We don't mind if you second guess because it's fabulous to see another gorgeous creation - so different and I love it too. I'm always feeling the same with my cards and at first instance your colour selection threw me but I'm so pleased, you challenged me to think out of the square and I'm very pleased with my card.... a great challenge Marcia, hugs Robyn

Lisa Elton said...

I like both versions Marica, they're so pretty!!

Christine Alexander said...

perfect poppies Marcia, I love your loose watercolouring on the first and the clean lines of the second. Two great cards :)

nancy littrell said...

I love both your beautiful black and red poppy cards, Marcia. Your 1st card is so artsy with the loose watercoloring and looks more like a hand drawn painting. Your 2nd like a stamped and watercolored poppy design. Neat and tidy and beautiful. Loved the die cut frame. TFS both your beauties and for hosting this wonderful challenge. I plan to play:-) Hugs..Nancy

Anita in France said...

A delightful duo, Marcia ... the first is deliciously organic and artsy ... such a wonderful unstructured, ethereal look to those poppies! The second puts me in mind of stained glass ... you framed it beautifully with that gorgeous Nordic frame from The Greetery! Hugs, Anita :)

Ros Crawford said...

Oh my gosh Marcia they are both beautiful!! very artistic and I love them!

Viv said...

2 lovely cards - so different with one all artsy and random and the second so precise and neat. Gorgeous!

Birgit said...

I think they're both pretty Marcia! The first is lovely and artsy. I'd say it's a home run on both. ;0)

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

My Paper Epiphany said...

Gorgeous cards Marcia! I love red, black and white combo - great challenge theme:)

Patti said...

You sure nailed this challenge Marcia both as a participant and as a Host!! Both are so super pretty!! I admire your watercoloring on the first card!! I'm glad you shared them BOTH!!

Karen Dunbrook said...

beautiful cards, love the pops of red and the drama the red adds to the cards.
xx Karen

Kia's Place said...

I think both of your cards are beautifully done and love the challenge of Red and Black.

Bonnie said...

A wonderful challenge, Marcia, and two fabulous cards! Love the loose coloring on the first! I always love the impressionistic style! Your more traditional watercolor with the die cuts is equally as lovely with it's crisp image!

Ina G said...

Love your first card Marcia - so artistic. Love the smudged watercolour look. Beautiful CAS sympathy card. Perfect for such an occasion. Great colour choice for this month's challenge.

papierelle said...

Poppies are one of my favorite flowers and I really like your design.