Thursday, September 22, 2022

Color Hues #49 - YELLOW & BROWN

Hello friends.  Playing along with the current Color Hues Challenge where they are looking for cards with YELLOW & BROWN.


I had 2 ideas for this color combination, and couldn't decide which one I liked better, so you get a twofer today!  Here's my first card...


I am still in LOVE with this stencil from The Ton called Precious Poppies Layering Stencils, and think it turned out beautiful in shades of yellow and brown!


There is actually a 3rd poppy on this stencil, but I chose to only ink up the bottom and middle one so it would fit better on my A2 size card.  After I finished ink blending, I ran this layer through with SU!'s Tome Worn embossing folder and then matted it with a piece of Early Espresso cs and a white card base.  My little tag is an oldie from PTI's Stemmed Statements and I finished with a bit of twine and a few Sparkling Champagne Metallic Pearls from PFS.

My 2nd card uses another favorite stencil...TCW's Mini Joyful Sunflower.  (You might want to go get your sunglasses before you take a look at this one!)


After blending with my yellow and brown inks, I got my glass bead gel out and spread a thin layer over the stencil and then lifted it off to clean before it hardened.  The hardest part of using glass bead gel is the waiting for it to dry...usually a good 12 - 24 hours!  That's hard for someone like me who's very impatient!!  


I ended up cutting off quite a bit of this panel (started with an A2 size panel) so that I could layer it with a piece of Early Espresso cs and still have a nice wide white border from the card base.  I embossed in white on the bottom of the Early Espresso panel my sentiment that comes from The Greetery's Sentiment Suite: Birthday, and that finished off my CAS birthday card.  

I'm leaning more towards my 1st card as the favorite, but all that SHINE on the 2nd card still calls out to me!  What do YOU think??  Lots of BEAUTIFUL inspiration from the DT using these 2 colors, so check it all out right HERE and then play along.  This challenge is open till the 28th @ 9:00AM.


Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


13 comments:

Birgit said...

Lots of beautiful inspiration right here on your blog, Marci. Both cards are gorgeous in these colors. I can see why you like that stencil so much, the layers in the stenciling are so detailed. The sparkle on the second card stands alone. Both cards are stunning!

Cat Craig said...

Marcia, those are two beauties. The stencil looks like fun. Brown and yellow work well for the flower images. Your second card would work for the flower challenge. Hugs

Lisa Elton said...

I can see why you had a hard time choosing, Marcia! Those stenciled poppies are so pretty and I like the added texture. The shimmer on that sunflower is marvelous. I can't pick a favorite either!

Bonnie said...

WOW! Both of these are AWESOME, Marcia! I love the poppies! Awesome shading with the stencils and I love the texture! Then that GORGEOUS sunflower steals the show with the glass bead gel! Looks like two winners to me, my friend!

I Card Everyone said...

Oh, Marcia! I'm so in love with them both that I don't feel the need to choose a favorite - they're both favorites!
The embossing over top was a daring and magical way to finish your first card! [I would so love to have the chance to play with those layered poppies]
No sunglasses required, my friend - WOW those glass beads really make those colors extraordinary!
Beautiful cards, my friend!
=]

Karen said...

Whoa! They are both absolutely gorgeous! But if I had to pick, and I'm glad I don't, I go with that fabulous, glittery sunflower! Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

Nancy said...

Oh, Marcia! That is exactly what I said when I opened up your blog post. These are so beautiful!!! I can see why you told us to get our sunglasses on for your second card. It's stunning and so sparkly! I love seeing your work in our gallery at Color Hues, you always make our colors shine! Have a wonderful day!

Leslie Miller said...

I don't know how your poppies could be any prettier. The yellow and brown is a striking combo with the different shades and layers of color. Really love the embossing over top of it all, too. That's very eye catching. But why stop there? Your large and in charge sunflower is exquisite! More lovely shading. You make me think once again about purchasing the glass bead gel. It's amazing here. As for favorites, I do also lean toward the poppies, partly because I love those brown leaves and the embossing, but both cards are jaw dropping.

Bobby said...

Both cards are gorgeous, Marcia. I love poppies and after seeing your card and one TaeEun did using that stencil it may have to be on my wish list. Sunflowers always make a happy card and the sparkle just ups the happy.

TK said...

TWO fantastic cards! Love the poppies in yellow, and your sunflower is absolutely stunning with the glass bead gel

_chevron2 said...

Two fab cards!! I love the texture on the first, and sunflower is so lovely! great job with yellow & brown!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Marcia I can't pick a favourite, they are both so beautiful. Gorgeous embossed background on your first lovely card and the sparkle from the glass bead--Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Color Hues!

Sari / Granne said...

I saw your card in a challenge top spot and had to came and see closer, love your both flower cards and thank you so much for telling how you made them.