Thursday, November 17, 2022

Inspired By Friends

Hello friends.  A while ago, my sweet friend Bonnie used a retired stamp set from SU! called Painted Harvest where the 2 step stamps were meant to be used as a sunflower, but Bonnie made hers into Christmas Wreaths and WOW'd me!  Those sunflower wreaths also WOW'd another one of my sweet friends Michele, and we were both SO impressed with how Bonnie had used this stamp set!  Well of course I had to go digging through my SU! sets to find it and Michele asked if I could bring it along with me a couple weeks ago when we got together to play so she could try it out too.  We asked Bonnie if she'd like to play along with Michele and I and of course she said yes, so today's post was inspired by friends and the Painted Harvest set!

I have 3 cards to share with you today.  Two are Christmas and one is Fall, so let's get started!  A few weeks ago, I did a post using heavy weight vellum as my card base (HERE) and I liked it so much that I used that technique again for my 1st card.


I started by embossing my vellum card base with a Spellbinders embossing folder called Scattered Christmas...it's a new one this year and I'm really loving it!  Next I stamped my wreath with SU!'s Pear Pizazz and Old Olive inks.  I stamped the berries in Real Red ink, but they didn't show up that well, so I used some red Stickles.


Hopefully you can see the sparkle from this close up a bit better!  Once the berries were dry, I die cut my image using a square stitched die from SU! and layered it with a piece of a deep red shimmery cardstock that was in my stash before attaching it to my embossed vellum base.  I used that same deep red cardstock to die cut my bow (The Greetery) and my sentiment (Special Merry Christmas from Memory Box), and this card was done!  


My 2nd card is my favorite I think!  I stamped the wreath first in Soft Succulent and Evening Evergreen inks (SU!) and then ran my panel through SSS's Forest Border embossing folder.  I bought this folder last year and then never used it...WHY??!!  I love, LOVE the way it looks in the white on white!!  


I used SSS's Big Joy die to cut out the "J" and "Y" several times (to stack for dimension) and then attached on either side of the wreath.  I matted this layer with a piece of Evening Evergreen cs and attached both layers to a white card base.  To finish I added a pop of color with the red birds using PTI's In The Meadow dies and then added a few Iridescent Clear Drops from PFS.  


My last card uses this sunflower stamp in a completely different way, and I wish I could tell you I thought it up on my own, but some creative stamper back when this set was first released thought to make the sweet hedgehog using just half of the stamps.  Isn't he a cutie?!!  I used Crumb Cake and Soft Suede inks (SU!) for my hedgie, and for his eyes and nose I used a black glaze pen.  I stamped a few of the greenery pieces around him using Old Olive, Terracotta Tile, & Mango Melody inks, and then used an old Lil Inker Stitched Rectangle die to cut my panel out.  


I framed my little guy out with a piece of kraft cs that I embossed with SSS's Fall Foliage embossing folder, and then used a brayer and HA's Unicorn White Pigment ink to lightly ink up the leaves so they'd show up better.  I finished with a sentiment from Gina K and a few Sparkling Champagne Metallic Pearls from PFS.

So there you have my 3 cards using a stamp set that was originally intended for a sunflower...all to show you there are so many different ways to use stamps than what they were originally intended for!  I can't wait to see what my sweet friends did with this same stamp set, so check them out here...Michele and Bonnie.  They always knock my socks off with their creativity, so come along and check it all out with me!  And as always, thanks for the sweet inspiration my friends!!

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



14 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia I am so in love with your use of embossed vellum! What a gorgeous panel to perch your first wreath! Old Olive is one of my favorite SU colors SO perfect for your top branches specially topped with Stickle-berries!
Okay - now why didn't I buy this horizontal version of these trees? OH the JOY - and look at the spruced-up details it gave your wreath!
But never did I ever imagine this sunflower as a Hedgehog - OH MY WORD is he adorable!!
This was such a fun gathering today - love all three of your projects. Now I'm off to visit Bonnie! xx
=]

Bonnie said...

This wreath is so elegant on the embossed vellum, Marcia! You picked the perfect sentiment to go with it! Love, love, love the Joy with the wreath as the O! So pretty with the embossing! And that hedgehog is ADORABLE! You have inspired me to get out that stamp set again! Thanks so much for the shout out and inviting me to play along!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Your inspiration trio was just so much fun to explore. I recently bought that set on ebay, and now I will look at it in a totally different way. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kathy D said...

Amazing winter designs using the sunflower stamp! WOW!

Birgit said...

Your three beautiful cards blow my mind, Marcia! Each one is a creative work of the heart. I love the idea of using the sunflower stamps to make a wreath. It works perfectly, but then add in that darling hedgehog and oh my!! You've knocked my socks off!

Cat Craig said...

That embossed vellum is a stunner and I too love that ef on white. Gorgeous. And I simply fell in love with your lil hedgie...so cute.

nancy littrell said...

Wow!!! Three Gorgeous and creative cards using your stamped wreath in very different ways, Marcia. TFS all the close up photos and detailed descriptions too. I LOVE all 3 cards, but think the middle Clean, Crisp Creative card is my favorite too. I loved your design with the pop of color from your wreath and your dry embossed background. So much to Love in all 3 of your cards including the clever and cute hedgehog, my friend. TFS and always inspiring me..Love and Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving. Nancy

Leslie Miller said...

Have mercy, Marcia, you're my third stop on this journey with friends and I'm just about overcome with all the creativity I'm seeing. I'm really taken with the gorgeous embossed vellum, the glittery berries, and cute little bow on your first card. Then I'm sighing with the woodland wonder of your second. That embossing folder is so gorgeous. Then the last card has done me in with the darling hedgehog! Someone had a very clever idea and I'm glad you ran with it today because it is a delight to the eyes. The autumn foliage is the perfect setting for your critter, and it's beautifully framed with the embossing smooshed in white. It has been a wonderful visit. Thank you!

Bobby said...

I'm so envious of your together crafting time, Marcia. You all did such a fantastic job with that stamp set. That little hedgehog took me by surprise as I scrolled down. The vellum card is stunning and a technique I want to try when I can craft again.

TK said...

Really ADORABLE -- love all 3 cards, two of which are great additions to anyone's Christmas stash. However that little hedgie hit me right in the sweet spot!

Linda Callahan said...

Loving your holiday wreaths and the hedgehog is delightful! Beautiful cards!

Loll said...

Amazing and versatile cards using the sunflower set Marcia. LOVE the first card with the gorgeous embossed vellum. It looks like satin. And the wreath is so pretty. Same for your other wreath card with the lovely JOY sentiment. Beautiful and creative. It's so surprising what can be done with the sunflower stamp. Makes the sweetest hedgehog!! :) what fun the three of you have had! xx

Lisa Elton said...

A trio of fabulous cards, Marcia! The hedgehog is just too cute!

Julia Aston said...

I just saw Bonnie's post and now to see the fun way you've used this sunflower on 3 cards! What a creative use of that stamp - especially that little guy poking his head through the bushes on the third one! Very clever!! xx