Friday, November 4, 2022

Grow Wild

Hello friends.  Not playing in any challenges today as I've been busy trying to get caught up on my Christmas card stash...and I'm actually getting there!  YAY!!  But no Christmas here today.  I actually needed a birthday card and a couple thinking of you cards, but unfortunately had no mojo!  When nothing's coming to me I usually go on over to Jennifer McGuire's blog as she is always full of ideas! This time I found a great video on using heavy weight vellum that's been dry embossed as a card base, and have 3 cards to share with you.  If you want to check out Jennifer's video, you can find it right HERE.

Let's start with my 2 Thinking of You cards...


You'd think making the card base from vellum would make it pretty flimsy, but between using a heavy weight vellum and the extra cardstock you're adding to it, it really stands up beautifully!


For my 1st card, I used Memory Box's Gracious Leaves embossing folder on my vellum card base...I love the look the embossing on the vellum gives!  Next I stenciled PFS's Grow Wild (set of 6 stencils) with Gina K's Light, Medium, & Dark Lilac inks and a couple green and yellow inks on a piece of white cardstock and then die cut the piece using SU!'s Celebration Label Dies.  I also cut 3 additional pieces with the label die from plain white cardstock and added one to the back of the card first, then added another to the inside where you write your message (this way it hides the glue or adhesive on the vellum), another plain white piece to the inside front, and then the stenciled piece on the front over the embossing.  I hope this makes sense, but if not, check out Jennifer's video as she explains and demonstrates it beautifully!  My sentiment was foiled using a Spellbinders hot foil plate and Aura foil, and I finished with a piece of SU! ribbon at the top.


 My 2nd card was done the same way as the first and was stenciled using shades of yellow inks from PFS and a SU! embossing folder called Parisian Flourish 3D.  Same foiled sentiment and ribbon in a green to match with the leaves.


My 3rd card was a special birthday card for one of my sweetest friends, and I used the same Grow Wild stencil with shades of pink inks (Gina K and PFS) and SSS's Vine Canopy embossing folder.  


My "birthday" was die cut from silver mirror cardstock using a Gina K die, and I attached the Tiny Tag (PTI) with some bright pink embroidery floss to one of the loops of the birthday die cut.  A few silver pearls finished off my card.  

This really is such an easy technique to do and adds such a lovely touch to a card.  I rarely think to use vellum but watching Jennifer's videos has made me look at it a bit differently and hopefully I'll be adding it to more of my cards in the future!  Well back to the Christmas stash...it'll be here before we know it!      

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


9 comments:

Birgit said...

Oh my...... I'm speechless over these gorgeous cards! I wouldn't have thought that vellum would be sturdy enough to make a card base either, but the look is incredible. Are both the front and back of the card embossed? Glad you added a link so we can check out the video. I'm off to do that now, after I have another look at your beautiful cards. The flowers, in all their colors are stunning too!

Lin said...

Marcia, these are all lovely! My fave is the last one with the teensy heart hanging from the large sentiment and all the pretty pinks! Nicely done!

Leslie Miller said...

Have mercy! The embossed vellum is one of those next level card making kind of things that creates such a special and lovely base on which to build. The cardstock weight with layers works beautifully. And then those flower panels with the delicately stenciled colors... I swoon!

Em said...

I was looking for something new to try and I found it in your beautiful cards.

Lisa Elton said...

Beautifully done, Marcia! They're fantastic!

Loll said...

WOW! All three of your cards are STUNNING! Great work Marcia. And what a fantastic backdrop those embossed vellum sheets make. Of course, your gorgeous stamps added the perfect flowers to your main panel. The colours you've used are lovely ... especially love the pink one :) Love, Loll

Bonnie said...

This is wonderful inspiration for some heavy vellum I have in my drawer, Marcia! It's so pretty with the embossing! And those flowers are GORGEOUS! I love them all!

Cat Craig said...

A stunning collection of cards, Marcia. You have rocked the technique.

I Card Everyone said...

I keep touching this gorgeous card, Marcia! I still can't believe the depth of embossing one can achieve using vellum and NOT cracking it! YOU have the touch - and have touched my heart once again - thank a trillion, sweet friend!
=]