Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Twofer Challenge #28 - Circles/Bubbles


Hello friends.  It's time for a new Twofer Challenge and this month we're looking for Circles/Bubbles.


As soon as I saw the prompt for this months challenge I knew exactly what I wanted to use...a NBUS die from Memory Box called Loopy Rings that I think I've had for years and years!  So not only do I feel great that this die can be called "used" now, I also have two FUN cards using it!  Take a look...


I used the die cut circles for a birthday card and then die cut another piece just out of scrap cardstock and used it as a stencil for my baby card.


I blended just a bit of Peacock Feathers Distress Ink onto my card base and then added the die cut circles that I cut from Turquoise Sea cardstock (Gina K).  I added a top layer that I die cut a window in (MFT's Rectangle Peek-a-Boo Window), and then added my sentiment from Catherine Pooler's Hook, Line and Sinker stamp set and also pop dotted a fish from Catherine Pooler's Vitamin Sea stamp set.  Hardest part of this card was getting the circles removed from the die without ripping them...sometimes dies with those skinny, skinny lines do NOT like to release well!!



We are expecting our 3rd grandchild in September, and little Miss Addy is going to have a sister and is SOOOOO excited...she wants to name her "Unicorn".  Mom said no.  But anyway, I decided to make a baby card using the die cut piece as a stencil and used a blender brush and Sweet Blush ink to make my background.  I stamped my Lily of the Valley image of the baby first (my FAVORITE baby image to use!!) and then masked her before adding the circle/bubbles background.  The baby's face, hands, and blanket are Copic colored and then her sleeper and cap are paper pieced.  The sentiment is from SU!'s Baby Bear stamp set.  I matted this layer with a piece of dark gray cardstock and then adhered to a white card base.

So there you have it...two different cards for two different occasions using one die!  And I'm ahead of the game with my baby card for when the new grandbaby comes...now I just have to put it someplace safe where I won't forget where I put it!!  What will YOU come up with this month using the CIRCLES/BUBBLES prompt?  We can't wait to see you in the gallery!!  This challenge is open till the 24th and you can check out all the fabulous inspiration from the rest of the DT and our Special GD right HERE.

Edited to add:  I'm also adding this to Darnell's NBUS Challenge #15  because the die I used for both of these cards had never been used before this challenge...grrrrr!  Why did I wait soooo long??!!

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


20 comments:

Brenda said...

I am loving your circle cards! The fish one is so cute and love how the circles give the illusion of bubbles from the fish. Makes a fabulous birthday card! The baby card is so sweet and unique, love how you used your die as a stencil-makes a great background. That little baby is so dang cute and I love the way you have colored her. So sweet! Congrats on another grand baby coming in Aug!!!! How fun! Hugs, Brenda

Anita in France said...

The bubbly ocean behind your cute, bright fish is so fun, Marcia ... and deliciously CAS! What an adorable baby card ... so utterly sweet in her grey polka dots and fluffy pompom ... and perfect against the soft pink circle-y stencilling! Congratulations on your imminent new arrival ... I did chuckle at the idea of christening her Unicorn ... aren't little ones a riot! Hugs, Anita :)

Kara Lynne said...

Congratulations on your grand-baby news, Marcia! How exciting! Unicorn, hmm, with the way babies are named today, it could happen, but probably shouldn't. Addy could give her the nickname though. Excellent twofer, my friend! Your designs always inspire me. I love the idea of housing those circles inside the frame! You know that LOTV image has my heart, and I love the pink stenciling and polka dot outfit!

Cat Craig said...

You must be so excited for another grand...and your card is sweet with the soft inking over the impromptu stencil! The fish/birthday card is awesome...the circles make for a great water scene.

Loll said...

Congrats on a new grand-baby on the way! This card is adorable with the circles background. Great way to use the die as a stencil. I can see why this baby image is your favourite, Marcia. It is so sweet!! Love the paper pieced jumper and cap. :)

Your bubbles background is perfect to go with your adorable fish! Another clever and create card! xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love both cards, Marcia! That fish is super cute with the bubbles and I love the bubbles behind baby!! Har, har - Unicorn, imagine that during the grad ceremony! Congrats on another grand!!

Jeanne H said...

Both of your cards are just wonderful. Love 'em.

Bonnie said...

Wow! Congratulations, Marcia! How exciting for all of you, especially Addy! Love, love, love this baby card! That is the sweetest baby image and the soft pink background with the rings is perfect for a baby girl! Love the birthday card with the "bubbles" and little fish! Two awesome cards, my friend!

Lisa Elton said...

CONGRATULATIONS grandma, how exciting!! I think these are two new favorites for me. The circle die is loads of fun and needs to come out to play again soon, it makes a great stencil! You know you had me with the polka dot romper and matching hat, right. You have until September to find a set just like that for new baby Unicorn!!

JoAnn said...

Wow, congratulations on the new grandbaby. I know you are excited. Love your two adorable cards, especially the baby card with that adorable image and the way you stenciled the background. TFS

Bobby said...

That die makes a perfect bubbly ocean for your fish and his punny sentiment, Marcia. And that baby card is the most precious thing ever. The soft stenciling and paper pieced outfit are wonderful. Congratulations on a new grandchild-to-come.

Darnell said...

Oh, where to start?! Well, of course, the first place is with your happy, happy news! Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of your new grandchild, Marcia! How exciting for the whole family, especially Addy! I'm so happy for you, but kinda jealous, too!

As for your cards, what a great idea to use that NBUS die (which is also on my NBUS Mt.!) for the fishie bubbles inside the aperture on your fintastic birthday design! And I'm making a note to myself that you then used the die to make yourself a stencil for a sweet background on Uni's baby card! You did a great job coloring her and paper-piecing her onesie and hat! That little topper on the hat is the perfect finishing touch! Don't forget to share with everyone over at the NBUS Challenge, too! Hugs, Darnell

I Card Everyone said...

OH MY WORD... gray AND polka dots??? Just absolutely adorable, Marcia. It would be my first choice for a baby's nursery!
I love your little - I colored up the one you sent to me - he's just waiting for a recipient!
Genius that's what you are - J. Ebersole always puts a scrap of a plastic grocery bag between the die, and the paper when cutting these intricate dies. What could it hurt to try? xx
=]

Brenda in IN said...

Two fun cards and using a NBUS too! I love the fintastic card and cute fish but the baby card grabbed my heart. That is the sweetest image and I love the pink and gray.

Linda said...

Oh Marcia, your cards are so adorable. I especially love your baby girl. She is so precious. Great idea to make your bubbles into a stencil. And BTW, congratulations, my friend. Thanks for having me as one of the GD's this month at Twofer.
I've been wanting to let you know that the Sunny Studio bells I used on my CAS Christmas card was the first time I have been able to get them to look like that. I tried when I first got them and just didn't get them to look good. I think it really depends on the colors you use and think that using a crisp black for the dark part really makes them stand out. Hope that helps. Hugs...

My Paper Epiphany said...

Two stunning cards Marcia! The fish card is so clever with the die inside the window - great design! The baby card is so adorable and beautifully coloured! Love the Unicorn name suggestion:) It's fun being on the team with you this month. Hugs x.

Happy Dance said...

What a great Twofer set, Marcia! I love that bubbly die. Your little fishy birthday card is CAS, but so full of interest and color. Each element is showcased wonderfully and I love the large sentiment beneath. Awesome card.
Congrats on the upcoming granddaughter! Very, very cool! And I think I might have a solution for her name too... "Eunice Cornelia," or EuniCorn for short, hahahaha!!! Seriously though, I'm so very happy for you and your family! Babies...*sigh*!! The card you've created for her is absolutely adorable. Love that sweet pink stenciled bubbly background; it goes perfectly with her gray polka dotted sleeper and cap. Awesome cards, my friend. Next week I'll be sending you some warmer weather, but will send hugs across the lake today. xo Bev

Nora Noll said...

What SWEET cards!! I LOVE the one with the teal circles in the window. So simple yet striking. The second one with the stenciled background and the baby is fantastic. Congratulations on your new granddaughter. I get why Unicorn is not the name I would choose. I love how kids come up with this stuff!!

Ros Crawford said...

Congrats on the new expected baby! Both cards are terrific but that little baby with the stenciled circles has captured my heart... LOVE it!

Liz Williams said...

Such a clever way to use that die. Two fabulous cards.