Thursday, March 11, 2021

CAS Mix Up March 2021 - Watercolor Challenge/Printmaking

Hello friends.  Today I am playing along with Bonnie and the other gals over at the CAS Mix Up team, and they are having a WATERCOLORING and PRINT MAKING challenge this month.


I have not had much success with this technique in the past, but I was determined to give it another go this month!  I think I had some success and I also learned something this time around...do NOT use lightweight cardstock for your die cuts!  In fact, actual water color weight cardstock works SO MUCH BETTER!!!  I used a combination of Tim Holtz Distress White Heavystock (130lb.) and Tim Holtz Watercolor cardstock to come up with this:


I started with the Distress White Heavystock and die cut 2 of Poppystamps Massa Leaf clusters and then water colored them using Peeled Paint Distress ink while they were laying on top of another piece of the Distress White Heavystock.  While the leaf clusters were still really wet, I flipped them over several times and pressed them onto the cardstock to get the print look.  With some of the extra ink I also did some ink splattering onto the panel and also the leaf clusters.  Once everything was dry I glued down the leaf clusters and added my sentiment from The Greetery's Lovely Blossoms stamp set.


My card still needed some color so I die cut some Forget Me Nots from The Greetery's BotaniCuts: Forget-Me-Nots dies with TH Watercolor cardstock and then water colored them using Picked Raspberry, Kitsch Flamingo, Mustard Seed, & Peeled Paint Distress Inks.  I did not try the printmaking with the flowers as they are layered and glued together and I didn't think the color would transfer too well with them being layered like they are.  I also think just the small amount of color pops nicely with the green print background.  I may not be on a level with Bonnie and Loll yet, but I'm feeling pretty good about this attempt and will definitely be playing with this technique again!

You can check out all the AMAZING inspiration from the DT and their Special GD Ros right HERE and then play along...this challenge is open till the 24th.  This month is also the CAS Mix Up Challenge 5th Birthday, and there are some really neat prizes to be won, so definitely head over to their site (HERE) and check it out! 

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



13 comments:

Birgit said...

What a beauty! I've never tried print making using dies. You honestly blow my mind with all the techniques you try and do amazingly well at. The print background and ink splatters are the perfect background for your pretty water colored flowers. Beautifully done my friend!

Betty said...

love your card, Marcia - haven't had much success with this printmaking - but you've inspired me to have another go at it!

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous card, Marcia. I hope to play along soon. Love the addition of those sweet pink blooms.

Ros Crawford said...

I love the result! So pretty and the print really adds to your gorgeous design

Lisa Elton said...

You are the queen of techniques and executing them brilliantly! Love the pop of pink from those sweet blooms. Fabulous card, Marcia!

Loll said...

YAY! You nailed this technique Marcia! Your leaf prints are beautiful and make a lovely, artsy background. So pretty with the die-cut leaves on top and your pretty, pink flowers. xx

nancy littrell said...

Your die cut print making background turned out perfectly, Marcia:-) It really is a fun technique and you never know how it is going to turn out! Love your die cut flowers so prettily watercolored too. A real beauty, my friend. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Witchcrafted Life said...

Splendidly pretty greeting. These beautiful blooms jump out at one with the same loveliness as though they were plucked from a real garden.

Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

I Card Everyone said...

Stunning, Marcia! Oh my goodness yes, to that heavier cardstock... and your darling forget-me-nots? Thank you for the gorgeous example of how to water color them!
=]

My Paper Epiphany said...

Oh wow this is really gorgeous Marcia! So happy to see your card in the gallery:)

Bonnie said...

You've got it, Marcia! A beautiful printed background! The pink flowers really pop against the soft green! I find that the Arches cold press watercolor paper works best with this technique. I've actually made a mess with other brands. Did you know that it can dissolve if you use a LOT of water? LOL, ask me how I know!

Anita in France said...

So spring-like and pretty, Marcia ... the sense of depth you created with the die cut printing is fantastic ... and sets of these lovely blooms wonderfully! Hugs, Anita :)

Bobby said...

I learned that heavy cardstock lesson too, Marcia. I didn't when I did the print and it almost disintegrated on me. I glued it to another layer before putting on the card. I think just the green in the background looks like out-of-focus plants in the garden. Great job, mf.