Monday, April 24, 2023

Faux Inking Using Printed Papers

Hello friends.  I love watching Jennifer McGuire videos when I'm low on inspiration or just want to try new techniques, and one that caught my eye a few weeks back was Faux Inking Using Printed Papers.  This is basically using DSP in creative ways and even inking over the DSP.  Jennifer doesn't do short videos, but if you've got a spare 43 minutes, it's worth the time to see these ideas!  I have 4 cards to share as I couldn't just stop at one...they really are FUN and very easy to do!


 
My first card starts with a piece of DSP from Brutus Monroe's Watercolor Galaxy 6x6 pad in blues and magenta's that I ran through with Honey Bee's Dogwood Blooms 3D embossing folder.  Next I used my sanding block and ran it lightly over the top of the DSP that left a white outline of the Dogwood Blooms and made them more prominent.  This was then layered to a white card base.  In my bin of un-used pieces I found a piece of very light silver glitter paper that I think I colored over with my blending brushes...it's been awhile so not totally sure.  But anyway, the colors matched beautifully with my DSP background, so I die cut my sentiment (Impression Obsession - Big WISHES) and placed it on the background.  The colors were so much the same that my sentiment blended right in...added a white strip behind the WISHES and that fixed that problem.


You can see the colors and the sparkle a bit better in this close up.  I also added a white die cut Berry Branch from SSS, and that finished off this easy peasy card!


My 2nd card uses more DSP from the same Brutus Monroe pad, and I just changed up the sentiment (Honey Bee - Bitty Buzzwords) and added a Olive Branch (SSS) that I die cut from silver mirror cs, a few silver metallic pearls (PFS) and a silver cording bow.  I also ran this DSP through with the same Honey Bee Dogwood Blooms ef and also the sanding process...I love, LOVE this look!!


My 3rd card uses DSP from Craft Consortium's Ink Drops - Dusk 6x6 pad and was just cut into strips and then layered diagonally across a card base that I added a white layer using PFS's Floral Grid Coverplate Die on.  I added a Penny Black Berry Sprig die cut from gold mirror cs (thanks Loll!!) and my sentiment is once again from Honey Bee's Bitty Buzzwords stamps and dies.  Another quick and easy card where the DSP does most of the work!


My 4th and last card started with another piece of DSP from the Craft Consortium's Ink Drops - Dusk paper pad and I stenciled over it using Honey Bee's Folk Art Daisy Stencil.  I also used a retired SU! background stamp called En Francais with light gray ink to add the very faint script in the background.  Here's a closer up so you can see it better...


This card was finished with a stamped and die cut sentiment from Gina K's Radiant Roses and also with a few yellow gems (PFS) to the flower centers.  Once again the DSP did a lot of the work and made this another very fun and easy card to do.  

I wish I could take credit for all these card ideas, but I basically CASE'd Jennifer's ideas with my own DSP, sentiments, and die cuts.  I'm going to share these cards over at Darnell's NBUS Challenge as there are quite a few things that had never been used before on these cards including the 2 DSP pads...I can't even remember how long I've had both of them, but they still had that clear circle sticker holding the pad closed that tells me I never even bothered to open up the pads when I received them to look at them!  Sometimes I think I like shopping even more than I like creating...yep, I'm a problem child!!  But I'm sure I'm not the only one out there!!  Bahahaha!!  



Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


9 comments:

Loll said...

All four of your cards are so creative and beautiful, Marcia. Great work with using DSP. I know that most of us have lots sitting around so I'm sure your post will inspire many to pull out their papers. I just love the different ways you've used the paper and the wonderful accents that you created. xx

Bonnie said...

I have the same problem, Marcia. It seems that I'd rather shop than create. You have inspired me to use some of that paper that I'm hoarding. Each of your cards is different and so inspiring! You had the perfect papers and die cuts!

Leslie Miller said...

I'm quite good at shopping, too (ahem). Also purging and reorganizing. You've certainly acted on your inspiration with these pretty cards, though! I see several great ideas here. I do love sanding cardstock and designer papers and these are some really nice choices. I also love the idea of stenciling on designer paper but I've never tried it. You've got me wanting to look in my paper cupboard. I'm pretty sure I've got some suitable pieces. Sigh... so many things to try, so much inspiration. Also, your glitter paper sure turned out pretty with your ink blending. Another great idea! You're just full of it today, Marcia! Thanks!

Lisa Elton said...

I went through a 6x6 paper pad craze and I forced myself to stop!! How long do you think I can hold out? Love what you've done with your hoard... eh, stash!! These are marvelous, Marcia. The third card is my favorite. That gold sprig has me going gaga!!

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous cards, I will have to check out the video...I have a lot of paper....I do love collecting it.

Bobby said...

I got the Honey Bee dogwood die but now I'm wondering why I didn't get the embossing folder too. The technique with that folder is incredible, Marcia. I love the idea of stenciling over the DSP too. Such a wonderful array of cards, my friend.

Darnell said...

Marcia, you have done JM proud with these remarkable results from her video! And you have done all of us a great service with your post howto and your resulting works of art. We all have beautiful and unloved DSP, embossing folders, and sanding blocks to follow your lead, which I can't wait to do! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Birgit said...

I'm loving all of these buy I'm especially loving the last card with the light scripty background. So glad you opened those design papers and gave them some use. They're all inspiring!

Bonnie said...

Even prettier in person, my sweet friend!