Thursday, June 1, 2023

Color Hues #65 - RED & AQUA

Hello friends.  Time for a new challenge at Color Hues and our hostess Jules would like to see RED & AQUA on our cards for the next two weeks.

I love this color combination, but have to tell you that I mostly use it for Christmas cards!  Thought about doing a Christmas card, but then thought, this is a challenge, so let's make something else.  I tend to only make sympathy cards when I need one, and if I do make a few ahead, the ladies in my bible study group tend to snatch them up when I'm asked to bring my card box in!  So anyway, I challenged myself to make a RED & AQUA sympathy card using a PFS set I borrowed from my friend Michele called Wonderful In Every Way.  Take a look...


I started by stenciling my background using PFS's Diamond Motif Stencil with the ink that was left on my aqua brush, using a very light hand.  Next I stamped the floral image in black and then embossed it in clear before using the coordinating stencils with a couple shades of red ink and aqua for the leaves.  I die cut the image out and after placing it over the stenciled background, decided it looked too plain, so I added Stitched Scalloped Rectangle Die (also PFS) in Turquoise Sea cs (Gina K)...much better!


 I stamped and die cut one of the sentiments that comes with the Wonderful In Every Way set, and then finished with a few aqua gemstones from PFS.  Hopefully I won't need it and can just enjoy seeing the pretty color combination on something other than a Christmas card!

Once again the DT and our Special GD Ineke have outdone themselves with amazing inspiration for you right HERE and we would love to see YOU in our gallery!  This challenge is open till June 14th @ 9:00AM.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



16 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

You took the words right out of my mouth, Marcia! Also MY favorite Christmas combo - in fact, that's exactly what I thought about when I saw the prompt this morning!
You and your team have proven that these two colors can do magic together in many ways!
Absolutely gorgeous!
=]

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous card Marcia. Love the big bloom and the scalloped aqua panel sets it off perfectly.

Cindy Beach said...

I love your attention to detail, Marcia! This sweet card looks so pretty in these colors and the pale background and aqua scallops add just the right touch.

Birgit said...

This is so pretty Marcia The diamond pattern in the background is just perfect for this pretty red and aqua bloom. I'm glad you saw the challenge as an opportunity to use these colors differently than you normally would have. It's always nice to have these types of cards on hand too. Well done, my friend!

cm said...

I lean towards this colour combination for Christmas as well; good to see we both decided to try something different. Your flowers, stenciling and framing are lovely.
~carol

Lisa Elton said...

Oh my goodness, Marcia this is such a beautiful card!! Like you, I love this combo for Christmas but you've made it shine with those lovely flowers. The soft subtle stenciling in the background really kicked it up a notch! Bravo, my friend!!

Cat Craig said...

its a great year round color combo and these blooms look fabulous.

Julie B said...

I'm with you Marcia and thought to make a Christmas card but as the stencils were on my desk, well I just had to use them! You've made a gorgeous floral beauty. :)

Loll said...

Wonderful design using the colours of the challenge, Marcia!! The soft stenciled background is so pretty and a great way to show off your gorgeous red bloom. xx

Nancy said...

Marcia, WOW is what I said when I saw your card. This is a gorgeous sympathy card that certainly when used will make someone feel very special. Great photo too. Have a great weekend.

Stef Perry said...

You definitely nailed these colors, my friend! A beautiful choice of flowers, looking so lovely against the softly stenciled background. I think your decision to frame it was brilliant. So gorgeous!

Leslie Miller said...

You rose to the challenge and made a beautiful card, Marcia! Amazing what can be done with just two colors. It's so nice to see a sympathy or thinking of you card with cheerful colors. Love the softly stenciled background and scalloped frame. I can just see the ladies in your group going through your cards. What fun for them!

Bonnie said...

My first thought was Christmas too and I may go in that direction, but seeing your beautiful flowers makes me think not. Your red flower is beautiful with the aqua leaves and subtle stenciling. A gorgeous sympathy card!

JulieP said...

I've heard from others about how this is their go to Christmas color combination. I definitely need to remember this. As for your card....I tend to make sympathy cards in somber colors but I am loving what you did here. It will bring a smile to someone's face when they most need it.

Karen said...

The light stenciling behind these gorgeous florals is fabulous, Marcia.
I love that sentiment as well. Finding a good sentiment for sympathy cards can be challenging, and it certainly adds to the versatility of this stamp set. (Putting this on my wish list!)

Tracey McNeely said...

Marcia this is gorgeous! I love the background, so subtle against the flower. One of my favourite cards of yours!