Monday, September 2, 2019

CAS Watercolour Challenge - Complementary Colors

Hello friends.  It's time for a new challenge at CAS Watercolour and Jenny is hosting this month and she would like us to use COMPLEMENTARY COLORS.


And in case you're not familiar with complementary colors, here's a color wheel to help you out:


Because Fall is fast approaching, I decided to choose ORANGE and BLUE for my complementary colors and came up with 2 cards...


This is actually my 2nd card, but I liked it better than my 1st card, so I'm showing you this one first.  I had started with a piece of heavy white cardstock and sprinkled Cobalt Blue and Orange Brushos and then misted with water.  I don't know why I've never tried orange and blue together before, but I kinda like it!  Anyway, after my panel had dried, I used a set of 3 small leaf dies (AE) and then adhered to another stitched die cut rectangle in a diamond pattern.  I added this to a white card base and then added my sentiment from PTI's Keep It Simple: Thinking Of You stamp set in Night of Navy ink.  Here's a closer up:


CAS and I have to admit I really like the simplicity of it!

Here's the 1st card I made which I don't dislike...I just liked the 2nd one better!


This card uses an AE die that Loll had gifted me several years ago and I hadn't used in quite awhile, so figured it was time to show it some love!  This is really another pretty simple card too, where I just added a piece of the orange and blue Brusho cardstock behind the die cut trees, added a small frame around it, and then matted it a little higher on my card base so I could add a few scored lines towards the bottom.  I left the sentiment off as the card is already a little busy between the tree branches and all the Brusho color...I'll add a sentiment when I decide which occasion to use the card for.

We hope you'll join us this month and pick two colors opposite from each other on the color wheel and then share a card with us.  There's lots of great inspiration from the DT and our special GD Anita, so check it all out right HERE and then play along with us.  Remember to keep your cards CAS, use Water Coloring, and most of all HAVE FUN!  This challenge is open till the 24th.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


15 comments:

Darnell said...

I like them both, too, Marcia! I also like orange and blue together, which I will now be trying when I have a play with my Brushos! They make a pretty combination for your pretty compositions! (And I haven't even had a drink yet!) Hugs, Darnell

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, they were made for each other from where I sit... think about your gorgeous maple in Autumn with a clear blue sky!! This card is just that stunning! xx
=]

Bonnie said...

I love the orange and blue together, Marcia! Your little leaf diamonds are adorable and the colors work perfectly! Love the background with the awesome tree die too!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Great complementary color choice, Marcia! I don't think I've used this color combo, but your cards inspired me to try it. :-) The background of the tree card is gorgeous and I love the design. The first card is so lovely and CAS perfection. And it looks to me that the beauty of the complementary colors are more highlighted by the small leaves and the thin frames.
Hideko xx

Lisa Elton said...

I love them both Marcia, they're BEAUTIFUL!!

Christine Alexander said...

Two gorgeous cards Marcia, I love the mixing of the brushos when you spritz them :)

My Paper Epiphany said...

I love them both, especially the leaf card. These colours look fantastic together. Gorgeous cards:)

Birgit said...

I like them both too. A beautiful color combination. The leaves are stunning!

Sharron said...

Love your choice of colors! I do like them both but am in awe of the gorgeous trees. The mix of blue and orange created a wonderful fall scene.

Loll said...

Both cards are beautiful Marcia! I love how blue and orange work together. I think it's my favourite combination of complementary colours. Fabulous cards, my friend! xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

Really beautiful card Marcia...love the splattered look they have.
xx Karen

Ros Crawford said...

I'm popping in really quickly...Sorry I haven't been able to comment a
on all you amazing creations.. I just adore these cards... The colours are beautiful as are the designs... I must be the only one who didn't know about a colour wheel duh! Very useful to know!

Mac Mable said...

Loving the colour combination, as it is so striking and Marcia I love both of your wonderful CAS cards x

Anita in France said...

Two beauties, Marcia ... the variegated leaves really pop against all that glorious white ... and what a gorgeous autumn sky behind the crisp trees! Hugs, Anita :)

Ros Crawford said...

Two magnificent creations Marcia... I love how you got those lovely colours!