Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Color Hues #64 - ORANGE & SLATE GRAY

Hello friends.  It's the middle of the month and time for another Color Hues ChallengeJulie is our hostess this time around and she would like to see ORANGE & SLATE GRAY on our cards.  


My first thought upon seeing this color combo was Halloween, but Spring just arrived here in Michigan and I'm not anxious to skip right to Fall, even though I LOVE that season!  So anyway, I went back to my favorite...FLOWERS!!  I decided to pull out a Greetery set I've only used once called Honeysuckle Stems and see what it looked like in ORANGES and SLATE GRAY...I ended up liking it so much I made two cards to share with you, so let's get started!


I used 3 different colors of orange inks (Gina K) for the flowers and SU!'s Smokey Slate for the gray leaves.  (There is also a touch of yellow for the stamens.)  Did you notice the beautiful, embossed background??  Here's a close up...


My sweet friend Michele always lets me go through her stash of embossing folders when I visit, and I even remembered to write the name of this one on the back...SSS's Sparkling Facets.  It adds such beautiful interest to my background, but still lets the Honeysuckle Stem be the star!  I backed this embossed panel with a piece of Smokey Slate cs and then adhered both to a top folding white card base.  I added a piece of Smokey Slate twine (SU!) and then popped my sentiment (The Greetery - Opposites Attract) over the top of it.  A few Smokey Slate enamel dots (SU!) finished off my card.


The same flower for card #2, but a different embossed background.  This is another ef from Michele and done on a piece of Smokey Slate cs.  (It's from Altenew and called Berried Cotoneaster.)  Before I started assembling this one, I ran my white ink pad (Pigment Ink) over the top of the embossing to make it stand out a bit more.  


Such a beautiful embossing folder and I think highlighting it in white ink really makes it pop a bit more and once again, not taking away from the lovely Honeysuckle Stem!  My sentiment is once again from The Greetery's Opposites Attract stamp and die set, and I finished the card with more of the Smokey Slate twine and enamel dots (SU!).  I really love how both of these turned out and can't pick a favorite...how about you??

Our DT and Special GD Joanne have outdone themselves using this color combination to inspire you, so check it all out right HERE and then play along with us...we'd LOVE to see YOU in our gallery!  This challenge will be open till May 28th @ 9:00AM.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!



16 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

You know better than anyone Julie 'had me' at grey!! I love the way you took those colors to heart with your florals, Marcia! [I also love what you've done with those embossed panels - you know you can borrow any old thing at all, right?]
LOve this color combination and can't wait to play! Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration!
=]

Birgit said...

These are both so pretty Marcia! Both embossing folders are so pretty but I especially like the second one, where you added the white ink to enhance the embossing. Your honeysuckle flowers are lovely! What a pretty color combo. Wishing I could play along with this simple but sweet color palette, but alas, I didn't bring any orange or grey. Oh well. I'll pin it for inspiration when I get home.

Julie B said...

Two fab cards Marcia, think the second is my favourite though, love the EF! Friends like Michele are for keeps, especially when they lend you stash like this! :)

Leslie Miller said...

These colors look fantastic together! The Honeysuckle is beautiful and the embossing is one of my weaknesses. Too many weaknesses. I love both cards. A favorite? How can one pick? I am somehow drawn to the gray card.

Cat Craig said...

Marcia, your cards are fantastic. The embossed panels are a lovely landing spot for the honeysuckle blooms.

Lisa Elton said...

Two beauties, Marcia! You put those embossed panels to good use. The Honeysuckle looks wonderful on them!

Bonnie said...

Love this honeysuckle in the orange paired with gray, Marcia! Two different but equally beautiful looks!

TK said...

Beautiful! Your oranges and gray works wonders with your flowers, and that e/f really adds an amazing interest to the card -- love them both

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Marcia both cards are beautiful! The stamped bloom is gorgeous in itself, but the addition of the embossed backgrounds adds so much interest and detail. Fabulous!

Nancy said...

Your Honeysuckle cards remind me of my childhood! The stamp itself is so pretty and then adding the background was such a great idea! Well done! You have such great products!

Loll said...

Great way to use that amazing colour combo, Marcia! I LOVE both cards you've made. xx

JulieP said...

You certainly "do" flowers well! This is gorgeous and I'm really loving that background dimension.

Stef Perry said...

Both cards are Oh.So.Gorgeous, my friend! Love the embossing in the background, it adds so much without taking away from the beautiful honeysuckle images. I certainly can't choose a favorite, they're both so beautiful!

Tracey McNeely said...

Fantastic card Marcia, I just love the embossed background and the Honeysuckle overlay is so pretty in these colours!

Linda said...

Marcia, two fantastic cards with this color palette. Your floral cards are always so beautiful.

cm said...

I can't choose a favourite, Marcia; both versions are ever so pretty! The flowers are lovely and you've really given them star billing on both the wonderful stages you placed them on. Wish The Greetery had a Canadian retailer; their products are amazing.
~carol