Thursday, November 9, 2023

Stenciling Over Heat Embossing

Hello friends.  I'm playing along with the gals over at the Group of Seven Cardmakers where they are playing with the Stenciling Over Heat Embossing Technique.  It's been awhile since I've done this technique and had forgotten how fun it is to mix and match background stamps with stencils!  I have 3 cards to share with you, so let's get to it!


My 1st card started with SSS's Holiday Background stamp and white embossing powder, and then using a very light hand I used leftover residual ink from my turquoise blending brush to cover the whole panel.  Next I added Gina K's Stellar Snowflake Stencil over my embossed panel and used a bit heavier hand with the turquoise ink and then added Tranquil Teal ink and Medium Lilac ink (Gina K), starting from the inside of the snowflake and blending out to the edges.  I added a thin strip of Tranquil Teal cs to the left edge of the card and my sentiment is MB's Let it Snow Posh Script die (die cut 4 times and stacked for dimension.  A couple Disco Ball sequins finished off this card.


My 2nd card started with gold embossing using retired SU!'s En Francais background stamp, and then used Impression Obsession's Poinsettia stencil with yellow, red & green inks (all Gina K).  This is a new (to me) 6x6 stencil and I'm loving it...so easy to use!  I did trim off about a third of the bottom and added a piece of white that I embossed with SSS's Holiday Greenery embossing folder with a thin strip of gold mirror cs between the 2 layers.  I used MB's Special Merry Christmas die cut in black for my sentiment.


One of my favorite color combinations is pink & orange, and even though this 3rd card is a rather simple layout, I think it's my favorite of the 3!  I started with SSS's Friendship Text Background stamp and embossed it in white for my background and then used Gina K's Bold Bouquet stencil and lots of masking off to keep the colors separated as I did my ink blending.


This is just a single stencil, so you do have to be careful to keep the colors separate unless you don't mind pink or orange leaves.  I cut it down a bit and added a Passionate Pink panel behind it before attaching both to a white card base, and then added a sentiment strip using a couple small stamps from Gina.  A couple silver dots finished off this sweet birthday card.

There are so many AWESOME cards from this talented group of cardmakers that you can check out right HERE...it is definitely a FUN technique to try and also very addicting!  :0)

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


12 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Wowee, you've been busy! Love the blues you used for the big snowflake and that poinsettia is gorgeous. Your birthday card is sure to make anyone's day a special one. Three beautiful cards, Marcia!

Loll said...

Gorgeous cards Marcia!! This is such a fun combination of techniques. You have done three amazing cards. I usually don't pick favourites, but I LOVE the large poinsettia with the gold script embossing. WOW! xx

Cat Craig said...

Oh my these sure show of that technique to its best. Beauties.

Christine Alexander said...

OMG so many beautiful cards, I think my favourite is the poinsettia but so hard to decide. Thanks for joining us with this fun technique ♥

TK said...

Three stunning cards, Marcia, they're all so beautiful that I'm not sure how you picked one! Great colors, great technique

Darnell said...

How fun that you were inspired by our Go7 group, Marcia! You rocked the technique with these three incredible designs! I agree, number three is my favorite, too, although not by much because they are all eye-popping! Hugs, Darnell

Bobby said...

I tried this technique but haven't posted it yet. Your cards are all so fabulous, Marcia, and you have such great stencils to use for them.

I Card Everyone said...

Marcia, my Followit mail delivery is acting up AGAIN! So sorry I missed these gorgeous cards!
You 'had me' at Poinsettia and gold en Francaise! But then again at pink and orange! SO fun, and just beautiful cards, my friend!
=]

Julia Aston said...

Oh, oh, oh, Marcia! I just LOVE your first card with the larger print embossing and the mix of colors you used on your stencil - WHAT depth you achieved! Your other two are beautiful as well - lovely designs and pretty stencils used! thanks so much for sharing them with us at GO7!!! Julia xx

Bonnie said...

This is such a fun technique and I love all your examples of it, Marcia! Love that gorgeous bit snowflake on the first, that gorgeous poinsettia! I think the last is my favorite too but it's close as all are beautiful!

Birgit said...

What a beautiful trio of cards using the same technique! They're all beautiful, but I do love the gold embossing with the poinsettia. However, the blue snowflake one is gorgeous with that bold embossed text. And then, the pink and orange is such a delightful color palette. They're all my favorites!

Leslie Miller said...

Wowie, you've shown this technique off to perfection, Marcia! Gorgeous Christmas cards, plus such a pretty birthday card in pink and orange blended so perfectly. You have some amazing background stamps and stencils. The bold text on the first over the two shades of blue appears so dimensional I might walk right into it.