Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Double D - Pretty Florals for Mom

Hello friends.  Playing along with the ladies at the Double D Challenge where they're looking for Pretty Florals for Mom.  


 
How could I pass up a pretty floral mood board like that?!!  I couldn't, although I did take my inspiration right from my front yard.  I have planted tulip bulbs for many years, but have never had any actual tulips bloom because of the rabbits...they bite off the bud before it even blooms and then don't even eat it, but just leave it laying next to the leaves.  Grrrrr!!  So this year I was very surprised to have not one, but 3 tulips bloom, and one of them one that I don't ever remember planting! But anyway, take a look at this gorgeous yellow & red tulip...


   I was blown away by this lovely 2 colored bloom and had to try my hand at duplicating it on a card!  Here's what I came up with using Spellbinders Wonderful Tulips Hot Foil Plate & Die set...


The colors aren't a perfect match, but I was still pretty pleased with the way they came out!  I started by hot foiling the tulips in gold, and then used the coordinating stencils to color them using shades of yellow, red and green.


Here's a closer up shot so you can see the blending a bit better.  After I finished coloring, I used the coordinating die to cut the tulip bunch out, leaving a border of white on the left hand side and then scoring it so I had a tab to attach it to the 4 x 5 1/4 panel that I used PTI's Cover Plate: Cross Stitched Die on.  


This view lets you see that the stenciled portion can open and close like a card.  I did use the die to cut a 2nd tulip panel to give a bit more sturdiness to this layer.  My "Have A Wonderful Day" sentiment is also hot foiled in gold and came with the tulip set and I put tiny pieces of foam tape behind it to give a bit of dimension to it.


This shot gives you a better idea of how this card really looks, and how I had room for 3 actual sentiments.  I embossed in gold on the inside flap of the tulips, and then also on the actual inside of the card.  I had already made a Mother's Day card for my mom, so this card will be used for a special friends birthday that is coming up at the end of the month and she LOVES tulips.


Not to overload you with photos in this post, but here's one last shot of my actual inspiration!  Don't you just love it when inspiration hits and you can hardly wait to get started making your card?!!  I had so much fun making this one!!  Even more beautiful inspiration from the talented DT that you can find right HERE, so check it out and play along!  This challenge is open till Sunday, May 12th @ 8:00PM.

Thanks for stopping by today ... I love it when you do!


14 comments:

Sue said...

Beautiful layout and design. Those foiled tulips look gorgeous as does the one in your garden.

I Card Everyone said...

Those bunnies sure can be pesky, Marcia - you know how I had to handle the situation here! But the beauty of this single exquisite tulip sure makes you forget about them throughout the bloom time! How beautiful!
You've used that color inspiration on the perfect set, my friend! I adore those tulips as you well know!
What a wonderful birthday card for your friend!
=]

Birgit said...

I can't decide which is more beautiful, your card or the tulip in your garden. They're both stunning! You did an amazing job with the color inspiration for your tulips and I love how you have made it so you could add an extra sentiment. You truly are a genius my friend!

Karen said...

I love those ruffled tulips, and your card definitely captures the beauty of your red and yellow one! We've given up totally on planting tulip (and anemones)because of those pesky rabbits!

R's Rue said...

Absolutely beautiful. Great job.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Leslie Miller said...

Oh! I lovelovelove this! The tulips are jaw-dropping stunning in the gold and the inspired colors, but also the card design just keeps on giving. It's a wonderfully clean look with a message at every turn. How clever! You brought some extra beauty to our Double D gallery today, Marcia. Thanks so much for that! The tulips in your garden, particularly this colorful beauty, were such a nice surprise for you. I don't have bunnies, but the deer are ravagers.

Bonnie said...

WOW! Gorgeous tulips both outside and inside, Marcia! I love how you colored your tulips on the card and that fun fold! What a great idea!

Lisa Elton said...

I love your card and your inspiration! How nice of the bunnies to let you enjoy that little beauty! Pretty card, Marcia, your friend will love it. Thanks for the sweet happy mail that arrived in my box yesterday XO

Cat Craig said...

I love those two toned tulips and you did a marvelous job of recreating that feel. Beautiful card.

TK said...

Amazing, Marcia! I love your two-toned tulips, IRL and on your pretty card! Love that you made the tulips open for an extra sentiment too

Bobby said...

I've been taking photos of flowers recently too, Marcia, and they are a great inspiration for card making. I have never seen a red and yellow tulip and you re-created it beautifully with that wonderful tulip stamp. I love the partial die cutting to make a secondary panel. This is one spectacular card, my friend.

Tracey McNeely said...

Your tulips in the garden and on your card are fabulous Marcia! I find every year I have a few perennials that I never planted pop up. The squirrels seem to bury more that just across--lol! Your gold foiled tulips are a delight to view and I think you did a great job of colouring inspired by your garden!

Donna Phelan said...

Egads woman, that is glorious! It screams all things Spring! Your colors are fabulous and that design is brilliant! Love it! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Double D, Pretty Florals For Mom Challenge. Donna, DT Member.

Loll said...

Your red and yellow tulip is gorgeous, Marcia. Great work using for inspiration for your card. I LOVE the gold foiling with the bright colours. And so cool that you cut it and added a tab so you can open the tulips as well as the beautiful embossed card front. So pretty and a special card for your friend's upcoming birthday! xx